So....What's wrong with me

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-06, 05:30 PM
rboyle23
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So....What's wrong with me

This is my car talking now...

I have had the TSIB done, transmission replaced and been at the dealership multiple times. I have the flare (atleast I think I do), check the link Flare Link with no success yet of fixing it.

This is me talking now...

The main problem is, it is so intermittent now it is hard for the dealership to replicate. I have been told from Lexus Corporate that if they can not replicate the issues, they can not do anything for me. Since I got my car back 10 days ago, it happened 3 times. After the second time, I started video'ing my cold starts.

Please excuse the small video and no sound...it was done with my digital camera.

Last edited by rboyle23; 11-28-06 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-28-06, 05:41 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rboyle23
I have had the TSIB done, transmission replaced and been at the dealership multiple times. I have the flare (atleast I think I do), check the link Flare Link with no success yet of fixing it.

The main problem is, it is so intermittent now it is hard for the dealership to replicate. I have been told from Lexus Corporate that if they can not replicate the issues, they can not do anything for me. Since I got my car back 10 days ago, it happened 3 times. After the second time, I started video'ing my cold starts.

Please excuse the small video and no sound...it was done with my digital camera.
There is NOTHING wrong with you and everything wrong the despicable approach of Lexus corporate, the dealer sees it and then they get the idea it is ok to make you work like a dog to prove you have a problem, or at least ok not to care that you have one.

It is so absurd to be placed in a chronic position of having prove everything. It is a game they play, either the cannot duplicate or the it's normal claim.

People who have not had a lingering issue with their car have NO IDEA how horrible a customer can be treated by corporate and by a dealer following the corporate lead set by example.

I'm sorry for you that you are having such trouble and I remember this has been going on for you for months, way back when you did your BAM post of the busted roof glass panel this was going on then!!!!
Old 11-28-06, 05:58 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

I'm stunned - again You're actually in a worse situation than me with this trans stuff. The good news is that your second trans will continue to worsen to the point where you will be able to demonstrate, or have them replicate the problem. I said good news, as then you've probably got more options open to you than you have now - ie buyback, etc. If I were you I'd jump at the buyback.

When I purchased my car I made it clear to the salesperson that I never wanted to visit the dealership for service. I hate going to the dealership for service. My dealership offers the off site pickup\loaner dropoff option so I'd planned to never ever have to go to the dealer for anything. I'm almost living at the dealership, or having to plan around when I have to go back to the dealership. I'm going in again tomorrow for my 6th trans related visit, this time to get the trans replaced.

But I'm done with visiting the dealer. Tomorrow is the last time ever for repairs on my ES.
Old 11-28-06, 06:02 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wanderer99
I'm stunned - again You're actually in a worse situation than me with this trans stuff. The good news is that your second trans will continue to worsen to the point where you will be able to demonstrate, or have them replicate the problem. I said good news, as then you've probably got more options open to you than you have now - ie buyback, etc. If I were you I'd jump at the buyback.

When I purchased my car I made it clear to the salesperson that I never wanted to visit the dealership for service. I hate going to the dealership for service. My dealership offers the off site pickup\loaner dropoff option so I'd planned to never ever have to go to the dealer for anything. I'm almost living at the dealership, or having to plan around when I have to go back to the dealership. I'm going in again tomorrow for my 6th trans related visit, this time to get the trans replaced.

But I'm done with visiting the dealer. Tomorrow is the last time ever for repairs on my ES.
Wanderer managed to find the bright spot, it WILL get worse over time and you then will have other options open to you. In the meantime get ready for more of the same of a long wait and a few more trips to service.
Old 11-28-06, 07:37 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

This is ridiculous!!! Its exactly what happened to me (in terms of the 2nd tranny failure). Within a week it got more consistent, although not as bad as flares with my original tranny. Here, your dealer has all the cards, everything is up to them now since they are making a diagnostic call. Can you try going to another Lexus dealership for a "second opinion"? Don't give up, keep that camera rolling and continue collecting enough evidence. The option you should get is a buyback, or another new ES350, or moving up to another Lexus model.
Old 11-28-06, 07:46 PM
rboyle23
Rookie

I would like to try another service department but in Richmond, VA there is only one dealership in a reasonable travel distance. Any other dealership is around 2 hours away (give or take).

I will continue to "shoot" each cold start and save the flares by date. With having the video now, it is hard for them to just write me off now.
Old 11-28-06, 08:11 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

I'm going to make this simple for others who read this (hint hint)....

Dear Lexus - if a customer complains to their Service Manager that their trans is slipping, what this means is that their trans is slipping. The customer did not get in their car and drive all the way to the dealership just for fun. They came in because they have an issue with the car. The customer should not have to visit your service dept multiple times to prove to you that they have this problem. In this instance they proved it so you decided on the TSIB. That failed, and it was proved again so you put in a new trans. Your customer is still reporting the same fault. Do you think he is just making it up? What are you achieving by asking the customer to once a-g-a-i-n prove this condition?
Old 11-28-06, 08:29 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

I would like to try another service department but in Richmond, VA there is only one dealership in a reasonable travel distance. Any other dealership is around 2 hours away (give or take).

I will continue to "shoot" each cold start and save the flares by date. With having the video now, it is hard for them to just write me off now.
I have just watched your video.

The first gear change on the video between the 7-8 second mark is nice and sharp. The entire gear change looks like it takes about a 1/4 of a second - its fast and shows normal operation.

The second gear change between the 11-12 second mark looks like it initiates at 4200-4400rpm then bounces to 5000rpm. The slippage here takes a whole lot more time before it works out what to do. Not normal.

This video - to me - is more than good enough to demonstrate the problem. Anyone care to offer a second opinion?
Old 11-28-06, 08:33 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

For some reason, I can't access the video. I get a warning that says I may not have permission. What gives?
Old 11-29-06, 04:30 AM
rboyle23
Rookie

Originally Posted by e-man
For some reason, I can't access the video. I get a warning that says I may not have permission. What gives?
Video seems to be working fine still, could have been an issue with Comcast when you were trying to hit it. If you cant get to it still, let me know and I can rehost it or something.
Old 11-29-06, 06:17 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

rboyle,

You have had it in the shop for the same problem enough times to file a Lemon Law complaint about it.

When I called my own state's information number the lady I spoke with made it very clear it is the norm that people are told could not duplicate or that the defect is actually normal operation of the vehicle, and she said file if you have been three times for any 1 problem and list all problems when you do file.

I suggest you at least call your own state's Lemon Law info line and not subject yourself to having to prove you have a problem as your video is proof enough that you do have the same problem you had prior taken your car in to remedy.
Old 11-29-06, 06:31 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by e-man
Well, we do have some members who are digitally challenged.
Old 11-29-06, 07:06 AM
rboyle23
Rookie

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
rboyle,

You have had it in the shop for the same problem enough times to file a Lemon Law complaint about it.

When I called my own state's information number the lady I spoke with made it very clear it is the norm that people are told could not duplicate or that the defect is actually normal operation of the vehicle, and she said file if you have been three times for any 1 problem and list all problems when you do file.

I suggest you at least call your own state's Lemon Law info line and not subject yourself to having to prove you have a problem as your video is proof enough that you do have the same problem you had prior taken your car in to remedy.
Trust me, I already have this in mind. I have not dropped this yet because I want to see if Lexus will do the right thing. A neighbor of a family friend of mine is probably the top lemon law attorney in the state, so I have that in my back pocket. If nothing comes out of it this time...now the 5th time (1 time TSIB, 1 time cant duplicate, 1 time transmission replacement, 1 time cant duplicate), I will be contacting them and see what my options are and have them review my case.

So....we shall see
Old 11-29-06, 07:28 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Trust me, I already have this in mind. I have not dropped this yet because I want to see if Lexus will do the right thing. A neighbor of a family friend of mine is probably the top lemon law attorney in the state, so I have that in my back pocket. If nothing comes out of it this time...now the 5th time (1 time TSIB, 1 time cant duplicate, 1 time transmission replacement, 1 time cant duplicate), I will be contacting them and see what my options are and have them review my case.

So....we shall see
I don't know if this yet applies to you, though did with my situation and seems the case with gpension who posted on the other subject thread.

Being told something is normal or being told cannot duplicate or denied something and then having to involve Lexus corporate put me in what I would describe as an adversarial position with the original dealer who sold my car to me, later in one with Lexus corporate who loved to rely on the most threadbare out they could cling to avoid doing anything usually provided them by dealer comments about the car. It's a catch 22 with the customer the one caught having to fight and/or prove everything as you are currently.

It is a lose, lose for the customer while in the middle of that dysfunction junction. They will fix it, replace it or give you your money back after you file a complaint given the proof you have of it still doing it, if or when to file is up to your patience level with their approach to you.
Old 11-30-06, 04:40 AM
gpension
Driver School Candidate

They replaced my transmission this week, and are dropping off my car this morning. The service manager has told me that he has tested the car multiple times, and it is driving perfectly. He replicated my driving pattern on a cold start (i.e. pull out, drive a little, then accelerate steadily until 45 mph), and it did not flare.

I'm trying to be positive, but after everything that's already happened, I'm a bit cynical.

Quick Reply: So....What's wrong with me