ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Extended Warranty Info and Opinions Appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-06, 10:26 AM
1seeker1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty Info and Opinions Appreciated

I am preparing to purchase an ES 350. I have read this forum for the last six months or so. Thanks to all who diligently post and respond to posts. I have learned a tremendous amount and hope to contribute in the future.

I take it I will be offered the opportunity to purchase an extended warranty when I purchase. My questions:

1. Through Lexus or an outside company?

2. What does it cover (extension of bumper to bumper or something less)?

3. Miles/years it will cover

4. Cost

5. Chance to purchase close to the expiration of warranty that comes with the car as compared to purchasing now

6. Your opinion on whether it is worth it, especially given all the electronic gadgets on the car (I will be getting the Nav.)

Thanks in advance for your replies
Old 12-01-06, 10:41 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO, don't waste your money on extended warranty. If your tranny fails and they will fix it with a new one, you will automatically get 100k Platinum upgrade. I could be wrong, but from everything that I have been reading about Lexus if you have manufacturing/quality problems - they will show up from the start (especially if the model a brand new re-design like ES350).
Old 12-01-06, 12:18 PM
BMT22033
Driver School Candidate

I just bought my ES350 last weekend and based on my experience...

1. Through Lexus or an outside company?
The warranties that the dealers offer are directly through Lexus. You can also purchase an extended warranty through a third party like Warranty Direct.

2. What does it cover (extension of bumper to bumper or something less)?
I was offered multiple "levels" of coverage. I believe the Lexus Platinum warranty is the best level of coverage and is pretty much an extension of bumper-to-bumper coverage with the obvious exclusions for things that are expected to wear out. It does cover things like the Nav system.

3. Miles/years it will cover
Again, there were multiple options here but the ones that I remember were 7 year/75k miles and 10 year/100k miles. I believe there were at least two more choices.

4. Cost
I plan to keep my car for about 7 years so I was interested in the 7/75 warranty. I *believe* the retail price on this is $1750. The dealer initially quoted me $1800 and said "if you end up not using it, you'll get your money back". I had already done some research and found out that you can buy the Lexus extended warranty from *any* Lexus dealer. Someone posted in these forums that they bought the 7/75 warranty from a Lexus dealer in Huntsville, Alabama for $1080. I contacted that dealer and they confirmed the price and availability. When I mentioned this to my dealer, they immediately agreed to match the price without any hesitation whatsoever (although they did say that "for that price, we can't offer to give you your money back if you don't use it"). Ok, whatever. In a weird sort of way, it was actually a little amusing. One minute the woman in the business office is trying her best to convince me that I absolutely need this warranty and the price is *only* $1800. A split second later, with the stroke of a pen, they were suddenly willing/able to sell the warranty for $1080. I can only imagine what the true realized cost of the average Platinum extended warranty must be to the dealer.

5. Chance to purchase close to the expiration of warranty that comes with the car as compared to purchasing now
As I understand it, you can purchase an extended warranty right up until the day that your basic warranty expires albeit for a higher price. How much higher, I'm afraid I can't say. Maybe someone else could address this for you?

6. Your opinion on whether it is worth it, especially given all the electronic gadgets on the car (I will be getting the Nav.)
I'm sure you'll get a lot of differing opinions about this. For me, I decided to go with the 7/75 because I have every intention of keeping the car that long. I'll do everything I can to take care of my car but I have to believe that realistically, *something* will need repair after the basic warranty runs out and if your luck is like mine, that something will probably be expensive. :-)

Good luck to you in your decision and I hope you enjoy your new car!
Old 12-01-06, 09:00 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

In the US I think you can get the warranty extended outside the first 30 days of ownership. Can anyone confirm that? If this is the case, you can save your cash for now and buy it later in the ownership period.
Old 12-02-06, 07:27 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BMT22033
A split second later, with the stroke of a pen, they were suddenly willing/able to sell the warranty for $1080. I can only imagine what the true realized cost of the average Platinum extended warranty must be to the dealer.
its $980 for that plan you mention
Old 12-02-06, 07:28 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wanderer99
In the US I think you can get the warranty extended outside the first 30 days of ownership. Can anyone confirm that? If this is the case, you can save your cash for now and buy it later in the ownership period.
the lexus new vehicle vsa is available as long as you are still within your 4 year / 50k mile coverage
Old 12-02-06, 07:52 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jjbodean
the lexus new vehicle vsa is available as long as you are still within your 4 year / 50k mile coverage
jj..

In the last 4 months I have been through two final paperwork sessions in purchase and neither time was I told that you could buy the/any extended warranty at a later date and did not know that until you posted this is possible.

It was just offered at a charge upfront and maybe if that is explained to people once they have refused initially, more would be sold down the road.
Old 12-02-06, 08:09 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
jj..

In the last 4 months I have been through two final paperwork sessions in purchase and neither time was I told that you could buy the/any extended warranty at a later date and did not know that until you posted this is possible.

It was just offered at a charge upfront and maybe if that is explained to people once they have refused initially, more would be sold down the road.
Bob, the finance manager is not going to mention that, otherwise they would lose the chance of a sale. They work on commission. Also, if you buy it later, you cannot place the cost of the warranty within your loan. You have to pay for it in full. Might not mean anything for some, might make a big difference for others. But, $100 over cost on any extended warranty is a fair price. So, $1080 seems like the magic number if $980 is cost.
Old 12-02-06, 08:15 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

its $980 for that plan you mention
Do you happen to know the cost for a $100K warranty, maybe for 5 or 6 years. I do a lot of miles. Thanks!
Old 12-02-06, 08:30 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MD350
Do you happen to know the cost for a $100K warranty, maybe for 5 or 6 years. I do a lot of miles. Thanks!
cost figures:

5/100 - 855
6/100 - 990

and yes, $100 over is more than fair in my opinion
Old 12-02-06, 05:33 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

cost figures:

5/100 - 855
6/100 - 990