ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Help me decide between IS and ES

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-06, 12:21 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me decide between IS and ES

Need a 4 door sedan. The Gs and LS are too big.

What made you choose the ES over the IS? Also, the current issues of cold start, tranny, and wind noise, are they really that bad?
Old 12-06-06, 12:43 PM
apoc123
Driver School Candidate

Do a test drive on both. I did that last week and the ES won me over. Even my GF who insisted me buy the IS had to agree that the ES ride was much smoother and more luxurious.
The IS interiror is kinda cheap compared to the ES, in my opinion. =)
Old 12-06-06, 01:19 PM
heasyrider
Rookie

Originally Posted by ;2279256

What made you choose the ES over the IS? Also, the current issues of cold start, tranny, and wind noise, are they really that bad?
sdbrandon, I am between the IS and the ES, too. I test drove the ES the other day and loved it, but, didn't test drive the IS yet. The sales guy prefered the ES and didn't mind letting me know that. Anyway, I do not need 4 doors like you, so the minimal rear leg room issue in the IS is not that big of a deal to me, but, if you need 4 doors (I assume you would want room back there), then the ES has more room. I do not think we are alone trying to decide between the IS and ES.
Old 12-06-06, 01:47 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sdbrandon

I drove both IS models before choosing the ES. The IS is absolutely a two seater - the backseat is extremely cramped and should be called a backshelf.

The ES had better visibility, gas mileage, room, luxury, ride, and value.

The IS had better handling, acceleration, a smaller footprint, a longer production run (to work out the bugs), and is the sexiest car on the road.

The current ES issues are bad if you have them, not if you don't. The totally non-working trannies seem to be filtered out, so the problems are an annoyance, the level of which depends upon you. Much of the frustration has been with Lexus not acknowledging these issues with people who have them.

If it's just a matter of luxury or performance, the choice is simple. But usually there are a host of criteria you'll use to select your next ride. Either way, you'll be getting a fine automobile.
Old 12-06-06, 01:59 PM
Gumball
Driver School Candidate

Default The 350 rocks!

I am not sure that I can help but I'll try.

We have a 2006 IS 250 4WD and an 2007 ES 350. I consider both cars measuring up to their specs. The IS 250 4WD feature is great here in the midwest. Our ES 350 to date has shown none of the glitches repeatedly reported on this forum. To date it is a pleasure to drive. We have had subzero mornings here in recent weeks and my ES transmission has so far not flared, dieseled, knocked, whistled, popped, farted or pooped out.

The IS is cozy and if your over 6' it might be cramped but even if its acceleration performance is not up to the 350 IS or ES its great on snow and ice. We had a 12" snowfall last week. Hope this helps.

Old 12-06-06, 02:15 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sbrandon...Review the poll on here titled.. problems with..your ES350... and make your own decision on degree.

If I had it all to do over again, I'd not do it until I was certain the transmission problems were actually taken care of with something permanent that actual solves the problem once and for all. And also not until I saw a remedy for wind noise and diesel engine noise was widely available rather than the currently pushed on owners as supposedly normal operation of an ES350.

Any of the 3 are a pain to deal with when one considers the cost should not include experiencing any of them.
Old 12-06-06, 02:33 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Something to consider, only if it's important to you tho. During '06 Lexus will sell around 70,000 ES's and about 50,000 IS's. So you won't see as many IS's on the road. On the other hand, there are personal reasons more people buy the ES. We've had ours going on 7 months/5,300 miles and it's a been great car so far. You can't go wrong with either the ES or IS.
Old 12-06-06, 04:38 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

You are really comparing apples to oranges here. Also, you have to find a limiting factor in your decision making. You said you are looking for 4 Dr sedan and GS and LS are too big. Does that mean a price is not a limiting factor and you would consider either of those? ES is half the price of LS and considered to be its "little brother". While IS is a little mini-me of GS (more like IS350 and in terms of interior and performance/handling). If 4 dr is a deciding factor, is that because you need room in a back seat? Than IS is out of the question for reasons listed above. If you want a fun factor with a decent performance to go around the corner without a significant body roll, go with IS. For a long comfy rides, ES all the way. BUT, why not consider GS? Its a happy medium between both cars. As a matter of fact, GS a little smaller than ES, 1" shorter and 3/4" less headroom. It will have a little less interior room if you choose AWD, for example. BUT, it will give you a comfy seating in a back. You will also have a performance of IS350, and DOUBLE fun factor. Its a true luxury performance car where you get the best of both worlds. Also, '07 GS350 is a second year in a run so it should give you more piece of mind.
Old 12-06-06, 04:43 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made this same post on the IS forum when I was jonesin for a new Lexus. Had a '98 ES. Then I saw spy pics of the new ES and that was it.

The IS is a drivers car. The ES is a pleasure to drive.

Depends on what your priorities are. For me its about being coddled with luxury and quiet, a wealth of room in the cabin, most incredible gas mileage for a car this quick, and a host of really cool stuff like adaptive HID's.

As they say....drive both and make up your own mind.
Old 12-06-06, 08:36 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are in need of a big comfy backseat, get the ES. If you like the look of the Maybach with the moon roof in the backseat get the ES - UL. If your passengers need to read in the back at night, get them a flashlight.
Old 12-07-06, 04:13 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by psp
If your passengers need to read in the back at night, get them a flashlight.
LOL psp...or, be sure the only passengers in the back at night are those that can read Braille and brought their own reading material with them.
Old 12-07-06, 06:44 AM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

My situation and final decision was similar to yours but not quite the same when I made my purchase. Back then, I was trying to decide between the '07 GS350 and the ES. I tested the IS, ES, and GS before making up my mind - and here's what I noticed:

IS350:
Cons
- Cramped back seat (the car is like the size of a Corolla)
- Lower grade leather than ES
- Lower gas mileage (than ES)
- Noisy on the road (relative to my tastes)

Pros
- One very sexy car (with LED tail lights too - HOT)
- 306hp!!!!
- RWD, no torque steer
- Certainly a head turner
- VDIM

GS350:
Cons
- Cramped back seat (the center thing in the leg area between the two L & R back seats just isn't good for three people back there)
- Small, tiny trunk opening (with a small trunk too)
- Looks kinda like a hatch back (just my opinion)
- No Panoramic roof
- over 50K with the options I wanted
- AWD

Pros
- More gadgets (two more parking sensors in front (v.s. ES & IS), power trunk closer and power folding outside mirror, and some other stuff)
- More leather & chrome than IS or ES
- 303 hp!!!!
- Status (that wasn't a concern for me, I'm 23, but the GS does have higher rank in the Lexus lineup than the IS and ES).

ES350
Cons:
- Possibility of transmission, wind noise, and engine noise issue (you're taking a chance with every purchase)
- No LED tail lights... awwww
- Passengers in back can't control own personal lights
- "only" 272hp (was enough for me, but this number is less than the IS and GS)

Pros:
- Large, roomy interior in front and back
- Nearly flat rear leg area across back seat (yay!)
- Roomy trunk
- Panoramic glass roof (my favorite)
- Super soft semi-aniline leather
- Better gas mileage than IS & GS

So there's my take on everything. When it came down to it, I decided on the ES as it fits everything I really needed. I like to be pampered while driving and the ES does a fantastic job of it. Passengers always comment on the vast amount of space for them to sit, and that's always a plus. And so far for me, I've not seen any issue with engine noise, wind noise, or transmission problem - albeit, I've had my car for 3 weeks now and only 400 miles on it.

Good luck on your purchase, regardless of which car you choose, its still a Lexus and you can never go wrong with that.
Old 12-07-06, 08:18 AM
LexFather

If the GS is too big, the ES will be too big as the ES is longer than the GS.
The IS is small (180 inches), the sportiest Lexus and the backseat is small.
The ES is larger (192 inches I think) and the polar driving opposite of the IS.

Both are luxurious and have fine use of materials. Both use the new 3.5 V6 but the IS makes 306 hp to the ES 272 hp. Both are very swift though.
Old 12-07-06, 08:37 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

It sounds like I only have two choices.

Get an IS, or wait until Lexus gets the ES issues resolved. I am not a fan of the GS or LS. I prefer the IS since it is the closest to a BMW feel.

I noticed the interior metal trim in the IS looks liks plastic, not real metal. Surprising for a Lexus.
Old 12-07-06, 09:03 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds like I only have two choices.

Get an IS, or wait until Lexus gets the ES issues resolved.
The wait is up to you - it depends upon your tolerance for risk. The ES does have issues because it is a first year redesign, but it would be untrue to say that all ESs have problems.

I'd buy another ES350 tomorrow without hesitation.

Quick Reply: Help me decide between IS and ES