ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Sick of the problems, Trade in? Lemon Law?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-06, 11:00 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattvds
I got the car at Keyes Lexus, however I have been doing all of my "maintance" stuff in san jose.
Are you getting your service done at stevens creek lexus? You can PM me if you want.
Old 12-15-06, 11:09 AM
mattvds
Rookie

OK the previous links didn't work. However this one should.

Here is a link to my folder, you will see 2 videos there 1 for RPM and 1 for wind noise. Guys, please look at it and tell me if these are obvious enough.
Old 12-15-06, 02:41 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd say the video with the flare is more than enough, but not so much the one with the wind noise because it's hard to tell what's background noise versus the wind noise.

What bothers me most about the flare is not the flare itself, but rather, the way Lexus is handling it. Hey, mistakes happen, and Lexus is bound to make mistakes just like every other manufacturer. But to put customers through a TSB (which is now clearly known NOT to work), and a transmission replacement (which it seems also does not work either), is so very disappointing. Lexus customer service expectations are so high and the actual deliverables are so low. What a shame.
Old 12-15-06, 02:48 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
I'd say the video with the flare is more than enough, but not so much the one with the wind noise because it's hard to tell what's background noise versus the wind noise.

What bothers me most about the flare is not the flare itself, but rather, the way Lexus is handling it. Hey, mistakes happen, and Lexus is bound to make mistakes just like every other manufacturer. But to put customers through a TSB (which is now clearly known NOT to work), and a transmission replacement (which it seems also does not work either), is so very disappointing. Lexus customer service expectations are so high and the actual deliverables are so low. What a shame.

e-man....

When you have one of these with a problem, gone are the days of the customer is right, instead, it is the customer must fight which is shameful, including resorting to audio and video recordings to prove their car is defective as rboyle had to do and now matt, ons has his submitted too, I was. No telling how many are going through this and put in the same position.

Even those who now have cars where the transmissions are behaving need be aware this CAN happen to their car at any time if the TSIB is not working and replacement trans is not working.

The August 2 and 7 TSIB does not differentiate, leaving all cars subject to this potential "wonderful" surprise.
Old 12-16-06, 08:55 PM
emas
Driver School Candidate

Just discovered this website, in one of my final research attempts. Was literaly going to my dealership tomorrow to put a deposit on one. After reading all this, I'm now inclined to wait until the 08 models.
Thanks.
Old 12-17-06, 03:31 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by emas
Just discovered this website, in one of my final research attempts. Was literaly going to my dealership tomorrow to put a deposit on one. After reading all this, I'm now inclined to wait until the 08 models.
Thanks.
emas...

Welcome to CL. The 08's will be out in 3 or 4 months so not that long of a wait if that is your decision.

Hope you continue to visit with all of us.

Pounce on one when you see a TSIB document has been issued for wind noise, engine noise and notice the transmissions are finally dealt with.
Old 12-17-06, 08:09 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
emas...

Welcome to CL. The 08's will be out in 3 or 4 months so not that long of a wait if that is your decision.

Hope you continue to visit with all of us.

Pounce on one when you see a TSIB document has been issued for wind noise, engine noise and notice the transmissions are finally dealt with.
Do you honestly think that these problems will be corrected in the '08 ES?
I DON"T!
When I had my '94 ES, it always had a wind noise which was NEVER corrected to my satisfaction! This continued from the time the car was new, and right up to the time that I traded it in. I was told on many occasions that this was caused by the frameless window design that was used on the second generation models. There were TSIB's issued on this problem!!

I then bought a '03 ES, and from the time I drove that car out of the showroom, the transmission shifting was NEVER, what I considered satisfactory. Proof of this are the many posts about this that were started with the '02ES, and continued until the '06 ES. There were TSIB's issued on this problem!!

My past history has definitely shown me that it'll take more than one model
year before any, or all of these problems will be corrected.
Old 12-17-06, 08:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Alan, and yet you kept buying the ES?
Old 12-17-06, 10:11 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Alan, and yet you kept buying the ES?
Yes, I kept buying ES's because these cars had many more pluses then minuses. Besides, I basically love Toyota'a engineering concepts compared to other automobile manufacturers.
Old 12-17-06, 10:14 AM
tnedator
Driver

Originally Posted by amf1932
Yes, I kept buying ES's because these cars had many more pluses then minuses. Besides, I basically love Toyota'a engineering concepts compared to other automobile manufacturers.
I know some don't like to hear it, but from what I have read here and in other forums (problems other manufacturers have), it seems that Lexus' biggest problem is that it has created its 'own' standard to be measured against.

It's ok for BWM and Mercedes to have issues, but not Lexus...
Old 12-17-06, 10:20 AM
emas
Driver School Candidate

What is a "TSIB"? I'm suprised that if there are this many complaints on the transmission and wind noise that they wouldn't be fixed by model year 08.
What makes you think the 08's will be out in just 3-4 months, isn't it September?
I am going to test drive one again. I get the wind noise issue, will definately test/listen for that. Can someone please explain exactly what the transmission problem sounds/feels like, and when does it occur??

Thanks,
Old 12-17-06, 10:31 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

What is a "TSIB"? I'm suprised that if there are this many complaints on the transmission and wind noise that they wouldn't be fixed by model year 08.
What makes you think the 08's will be out in just 3-4 months, isn't it September?
I am going to test drive one again. I get the wind noise issue, will definately test/listen for that. Can someone please explain exactly what the transmission problem sounds/feels like, and when does it occur??

Thanks,
A TSIB is a technical information bulletin that outlines a repair.

Lexus does not view the wind noise as a correctable problem, instead, having it represents the normal operation of an ES350 is what many are told, it is renamed buffeting, not called wind noise by Lexus.

The diesel engine knocking tapping going from sewing machine level to cannery works is also normal operation for an ES350 per Lexus. You will pick this up, ONLY if you started the car when dead cold and drive it right away and listen for it. It can come later according to some but most it is right away, so you may be able to test drive for that though several have reported it came later after purchase as I said.

The above 2 sentences explain why many feel these will not be addressed for 08 release.

That is why I said to you once you see a TSIB on them and the trans is finally addressed pounce on one.

The trans issues is not something you will pickup on a test drive of a brand new car, it shows itself later, several hundred miles more or less.

The 07 were released in April, so likely 08's will be as well.
Old 12-17-06, 10:37 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Thanks,
TSIB = Technical Services Information Bureau

I think you're right about the release date of about September '07 on the '08ES, since the '07ES had an early release date of April, '06 to get a jump on the other maufacturers.
Old 12-17-06, 10:38 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by tnedator
I know some don't like to hear it, but from what I have read here and in other forums (problems other manufacturers have), it seems that Lexus' biggest problem is that it has created its 'own' standard to be measured against.

It's ok for BWM and Mercedes to have issues, but not Lexus...
Well said. Well said.
Old 12-17-06, 11:15 AM
tnedator
Driver

Originally Posted by amf1932
I think you're right about the release date of about September '07 on the '08ES, since the '07ES had an early release date of April, '06 to get a jump on the other maufacturers.
I was thinking the same thing. I haven't followed Lexus before, but with other car companies, they often release a new or substantially redesigned model in April/May, but then go back to a normal August/September release for subsequant year models.

Quick Reply: Sick of the problems, Trade in? Lemon Law?