ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

I want to buy an ES350 but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-06, 11:56 AM
OAKPLANK
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there is a fix for the transmission in 08, would that fix not be available for the 07 owners?
How can Lexus fix the tranny problem and only make it available to 08 models?

P.S. My ES should be available for delivery this week. Since I didn't order the tranny problem, I hope it wont be included at delivery. (ha ha)
oakplank
Old 12-18-06, 05:11 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Actually Renault/Nissan is more close to GM than Toyota could ever be. Hell they may still merge.
This thread proves my point. The same 3 or 4 people repeating the same 3 or 4 things.
Thanks. Good day.
3 or 4 takes up less space and less reading time than the 81 CL Members out of 120 it might otherwise be who received cars with problems giving the guy advice on whether he is viewing GS Vs. ES properly. If all 81 responded to him he might not even consider a GS as many of us have suggested he do or might not consider waiting on an 08 also suggested.

((I have none of the problems listed above 39 32.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 120.))
Old 12-18-06, 06:08 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
3 or 4 takes up less space and less reading time than the 81 CL Members out of 120 it might otherwise be who received cars with problems giving the guy advice on whether he is viewing GS Vs. ES properly. If all 81 responded to him he might not even consider a GS as many of us have suggested he do or might not consider waiting on an 08 also suggested.

((I have none of the problems listed above 39 32.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 120.))
Let's see, 81 poll respondents = .11% of the approx. 70,000 ES's sold.
Old 12-18-06, 06:15 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
We do not have 70,000 CL members responding, we only have 120, which in itself is a statistical percentage of owners.

We do have people who do not even own an ES350 repeatedly and rudely at times trying to convince those of us who do own them and others that they should ignore the numerous members who shared their vehicle results with all of us.
Old 12-18-06, 12:07 PM
bmil128
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to chime in here, I previously owned a 2001 Acura 3.2CL Type S which had its own plethora of transmission failures, effectively due to a bad design (the clutch between 2nd and 3rd wasn't designed with any drains, was overheating and burning up 3rd gear) I had the original fail at 45K mi, replaced under warranty, warranty was extended to 100K mi, replacement failed at 108K mi, had it replaced by dealer for $200 warranty cost. I got rid of this car and used the proceeds towards my wife's GX470. After a class action suit Honda extended powertrain warranty to 93 months or 109K mi but did not fix the problem as far as I can tell.

Due to this experience I am now hesitant to get the ES350, I may be looking at the '07 G35 instead, redesigned and all of the torque is at the rear wheels.

My $0.02
Old 12-18-06, 02:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Thank you. The facts show the ES is still reliable in most cases and it did again, win a quality award.

I do sympethize with those with issues, I would be pissed to paying $35k or more for a car with high expectations and not have them met.

However, 4 or 5 people won't steer me to believe the car is horrible.
Old 12-18-06, 02:37 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you. The facts show the ES is still reliable in most cases and it did again, win a quality award.

I do sympethize with those with issues, I would be pissed to paying $35k or more for a car with high expectations and not have them met.

I agree! This is the 4th. ES I've owned since 1990 and it's the best so far, after owning it for about 8 months!
Old 12-18-06, 03:11 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

With the transmission flaring issue, I would NOT buy another ES350. I own a ES350 and wouldn't let others that don't even own an ES350 tell me that everything is fine. Just my opinion from an actual ES350 owner.
Old 12-18-06, 03:12 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2007es350
With the transmission flaring issue, I would NOT buy another ES350. I own a ES350 and wouldn't let others that don't even own an ES350 tell me that everything is fine. Just my opinion from an actual ES350 owner.
I was going to buy an ES350, but decided to wait until the issues are worked out. I might opt for an IS instead.
Old 12-18-06, 05:10 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

That's a bit of an exaggeration, nobody said that the car was horrible.

Last edited by 2thfixr; 12-18-06 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-18-06, 08:01 PM
cowdung
Rookie

Well maybe you should take a stroll to the toyotanation forum, I personally have counted over 20 people there with the flare issue. 2 employees of mine have bought ES350's and they BOTH have flare issues! One of them went as far as telling me that other people who dont even know how to check their oil, may never catch it and wonders how many people are driving with the flare issue and dont know it exists. Its easy to say that you sympathize with people when its NOT your car and not your money. If you were in their shoes, i bet you would be posting in every thread letting new people know that these problems exists and to be aware of it. Most people who research car forums do so for this reason, have hindsight about any problems. I actually believe that these 4-5 people are doing service to these NOOBS that are on this forum for that exact reason. I dont know about you but when i have bought my cars, I make sure i go to the pertinent forums to know if people are having problems with these cars or not. The funny thing is you mention 4-5 people here complaining, so i went to dig deeper and i ended up on msn.com and when i went to the testimonial section, 90% of the responses on the first 2-3 pages were negative and filled with this so called tranny flare or failure. Putting this site and that site together, if i were in the market for buying an ES350, yes i would STAY AWAY from it too. You know the saying "A fool always parts with his money" well it applies perfectly here.

OFF TOPIC.......If you like sushi, there is no better place in this country than M.F. Sushi bar. I have had a lot of sushi and still not found a better place than this.

Last edited by cowdung; 12-18-06 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-19-06, 08:43 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
That's a bit of an exaggeration, nobody said that the car was horrible.
Thanks for keeping this discussion real.
Old 12-19-06, 03:08 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2007es350
Thanks for keeping this discussion real.
Apart from the author being given the impression the GS rates somehow less than the ES due to misinformation, which is on it's own perplexing, in trying to correct that misinformation the responses trying to indirectly imply the GS is somehow rating worse because the ES supposedly has limited owners with issues are equally as perplexing.

Months ago and now there are those who own the ES350 that were and will be considerate and actually state to a potential buyer, proceed with caution and use this checklist before signing on purchase because they do not try to hide or gloss over the patently obvious of the car having issues; then, and certainly now as well, there are also those who will insist no attention be paid to such cautionary advice and to pay no attention to the poll of actual owner/CL members.

It is an individual decision that should be made when aware of all the facts, especially those from actual ES350 owners from forums like this.

What many seem not to contemplate, except perhaps the owner of this site, is that these forums WILL become, CL already is in my view and that of some others, what was formerly only the turf of the Consumer Reports, the JD Power, etc., a valuable source for reasonably accurate information from consumer owners about what is going on with a consumer item, including cars.

Or, for kicks when bored, we could ignore all the data here convincing ourselves or convince others it means nothing. And also can believe it makes sense for us to visit, once a week for ten minutes, a BMW or Audi/MB/Infiniti forum, select an 07 model we do not even own, where a member and model owner poll shows the majority responded over there they received a vehicle with one or more issues and set about repeatedly trying to convince those folks they are a minority and there are no issues implying a trend on that model requiring a caution advisement when considering a purchase.
Old 12-19-06, 03:21 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Apart from the author being given the impression the GS rates somehow less than the ES due to misinformation, which is on it's own perplexing, in trying to correct that misinformation the responses trying to indirectly imply the GS is somehow rating worse because the ES supposedly has limited owners with issues are equally as perplexing.

Months ago and now there are those who own the ES350 that were and will be considerate and actually state to a potential buyer, proceed with caution and use this checklist before signing on purchase because they do not try to hide or gloss over the patently obvious of the car having issues; then, and certainly now as well, there are also those who will insist no attention be paid to such cautionary advice and to pay no attention to the poll of actual owner/CL members.

It is an individual decision that should be made when aware of all the facts, especially those from actual ES350 owners from forums like this.

What many seem not to contemplate, except perhaps the owner of this site, is that these forums WILL become, CL already is in my view and that of some others, what was formerly only the turf of the Consumer Reports, the JD Power, etc., a valuable source for reasonably accurate information from consumer owners about what is going on with a consumer item, including cars.

Or, for kicks when bored, we could ignore all the data here convincing ourselves or convince others it means nothing. And also can believe it makes sense for us to visit, once a week for ten minutes, a BMW or Audi/MB/Infiniti forum, select an 07 model we do not even own, where a member and model owner poll shows the majority responded over there they received a vehicle with one or more issues and set about repeatedly trying to convince those folks they are a minority and there are no issues implying a trend on that model requiring a caution advisement when considering a purchase.
Ah, I don't even know what you tried to say much less understand what you did say.
Old 12-19-06, 03:30 PM
e-Mel
Rookie

Quick Reply: I want to buy an ES350 but...