ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

I want to buy an ES350 but...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-06 | 02:56 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I believe Toyota/Lexus, or any other mfgr. would have to disclose it, if they were using rebuilt transmissions vs. new ones.

I would hope they would disclose such.

The freight charges alone and tracking to ship a transmission back to Japan to then be put into a new one off the assembly line seems to indicate that is not happening.

Rebuild here and replace with rebuilt when one has an issue here might happen but let's hope they are upfront about it if doing that.
Old 12-22-06 | 03:17 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

ES350Bob--you apparently read it the wrong way--I was not complaining about people who were offering solutions to various issues--whether or not offered "over and over". Maybe I didn't word my response properly; I'll try a different approach using a different "issue":

If someone were to post a thread asking how to access the nav override menu, would you or anyone else (assuming you do know how to access it):

a) Reply to said thread w/ detailed information?
b) Post a link to the thread(s) that might contain said info?
c) Tell the poster that the information to his query exists elsewhere in the forum and that he really should have done a search to find the answer before posting a new thread?

I'd be willing to bet that if the question was about wind noise and/or tranny flare issues (I'm not talking about posts that actually address those issues--e.g., body plugs, window gaskets, TSIBs, etc.), the typical response would be more along the lines of a), rather than either b) or c).

Don't get me wrong--I'm not against someone posting about wind noise or other adverse issues related to our vehicles, and I'm appreciative of the experiences you and others have offered on this forum; it's just that there are way too many threads that more or less talk about the same wind noise issue, over and over.

DaveGS4--may I suggest that maybe some sort of sticky or master sub-thread be created for the ES 350 wind noise issue? Whether such would be permissible is one thing, but I really can't imagine anyone here in the ES 350 forum who would object to such a request...and if there are folks who would actually object--I guess some of these folks are probably the same ones who took objection to my previous post (#78 in this thread). Heck, I just did a simple search--there are roughly 100 threads in the ES 350 forum that mention "wind noise" as part of the discussion; seeing how the wind noise issue seems so "near and dear" to some folks here--sometimes to the point of being obsessed about it, based on some of the lengthy posts regarding it that I've come across in this forum--I would think that it would be a prime candidate for a sticky or something similar.
Old 12-22-06 | 03:38 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
You know what cracks me up? People that post things like this and really mean it. You state that your car has the very same issues that people are complaining about but you don't complain about it because it doesn't bother you. Since it doesn't bother you enough to detract from your enjoyment of the car, it's something that everybody should mention once and be done with it? Maybe you are even suggesting that people don't mention it at all because it has been mentioned over and over again....
You're missing my point--unlike some others here, I don't vociferously complain over and over about my wind noise issue...heaven forbid I'd be labelled a "whiner" if I did so. Yes, I have wind noise; no, the reason I don't complain about it isn't absolutely because it doesn't bother me--yes, I would complain about it, but quite frankly, I don't think people would be to enamored of me if I complained about it over and over again. Do I really need to let people know about my wind noise issue and how I hate it with a passion, almost every single time someone else posts about a wind-noise related issue?

Let me put this to you, if you'll allow it--if I were to post dozens of posts about how my car has wind noise and I can't stand it, every time someone started another wind-noise related thread...would you consider me as being helpful...or would you think to yourself that I'm just wasting bandwidth by being a whiner?
Old 12-22-06 | 04:47 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by toneman
Let me put this to you, if you'll allow it--if I were to post dozens of posts about how my car has wind noise and I can't stand it, every time someone started another wind-noise related thread...would you consider me as being helpful...or would you think to yourself that I'm just wasting bandwidth by being a whiner?
Its not whining if with every new wind-noise post people ask you if this is normal and you reply back to confirm it or provide a solution. The same with a tranny flare, the same with how some dealerships treat their customers, the same with dealerships denying that problem exist or there are some ways out (buyback, exchange/swap, trade-in), etc. Whining is when everyday you post the same topic or you see replies to/by the same people. If you closely look, often a topic is brought up by a newcomer to this board who doesn't know what to do and just made it over to CL through a net search to find if anybody else experiencing the same problem. I think the annoying fact in here is when such a topic is started and the "old timers" with the problem start replying to it with suggestions, it feels like opening the same can of worms over-and-over again.

What would be a GOOD idea is to have another STICKY with ES350 PROBLEM ROLL CALL. There, each member of ES350 forum can make ONLY ONE post describing his/her problem and what they are going through. As the time progresses and they get different fixes (tranny replacement, wind noise or crackles, etc.), they can edit this ONE post with additional info. This way we have a PROBLEM ROLL CALL for each member, and other newcomers can just read through to see if they experience the same.

How about it? Any moderators reading this, please consider making a NEW sticky with a PROBLEM ROLL CALL where each member will be allowed to write a short history of his/her ES350 experience and what they went through, and than keep updating it like a blog with any new development?
Old 12-22-06 | 04:50 PM
emas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by osokuko
I'm wondering what the build date was on that car you cancelled? Would the trans fix your delaer was talking about be a Oct or Nov build?
He told me November build date, but I am/was not convinced that would make a difference.
Old 12-22-06 | 05:29 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

You're missing my point--unlike some others here, I don't vociferously complain over and over about my wind noise issue...heaven forbid I'd be labelled a "whiner" if I did so. Yes, I have wind noise; no, the reason I don't complain about it isn't absolutely because it doesn't bother me--yes, I would complain about it, but quite frankly, I don't think people would be to enamored of me if I complained about it over and over again. Do I really need to let people know about my wind noise issue and how I hate it with a passion, almost every single time someone else posts about a wind-noise related issue?

You rephrased it but you are still saying the same thing. You have the problem as well but your comfort level is such that you can tolerate the problem and you will not complain. That's peachy and wonderful. I'm truly happy that works for you but it simply does not work for me. Like I said in my previous post. If you don't like the whining, why are you wasting your time reading the post? I might suggest, if you allow it, that you push the down arrow on your keyboard or utilize the scroll wheel on your mouse. An even more effective solution is to bypass the thread altogether by not clicking on threads that you already know are filled with "whining" posts. If you allow it, I might also suggest that you refrain from repeating yourself like this because dare I say it, you are starting to whine about whining posts.
Old 12-22-06 | 05:45 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

You rephrased it but you are still saying the same thing. You have the problem as well but your comfort level is such that you can tolerate the problem and you will not complain. That's peachy and wonderful. I'm truly happy that works for you but it simply does not work for me. Like I said in my previous post. If you don't like the whining, why are you wasting your time reading the post?
I agree, if you don't want to read something, then just plain don't read it.
Old 12-22-06 | 07:48 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

ES350Bob--you apparently read it the wrong way--I was not complaining about people who were offering solutions to various issues--whether or not offered "over and over". Maybe I didn't word my response properly; I'll try a different approach using a different "issue":

If someone were to post a thread asking how to access the nav override menu, would you or anyone else (assuming you do know how to access it):

a) Reply to said thread w/ detailed information?
b) Post a link to the thread(s) that might contain said info?
c) Tell the poster that the information to his query exists elsewhere in the forum and that he really should have done a search to find the answer before posting a new thread?

I'd be willing to bet that if the question was about wind noise and/or tranny flare issues (I'm not talking about posts that actually address those issues--e.g., body plugs, window gaskets, TSIBs, etc.), the typical response would be more along the lines of a), rather than either b) or c).

Don't get me wrong--I'm not against someone posting about wind noise or other adverse issues related to our vehicles, and I'm appreciative of the experiences you and others have offered on this forum; it's just that there are way too many threads that more or less talk about the same wind noise issue, over and over.

DaveGS4--may I suggest that maybe some sort of sticky or master sub-thread be created for the ES 350 wind noise issue? Whether such would be permissible is one thing, but I really can't imagine anyone here in the ES 350 forum who would object to such a request...and if there are folks who would actually object--I guess some of these folks are probably the same ones who took objection to my previous post (#78 in this thread). Heck, I just did a simple search--there are roughly 100 threads in the ES 350 forum that mention "wind noise" as part of the discussion; seeing how the wind noise issue seems so "near and dear" to some folks here--sometimes to the point of being obsessed about it, based on some of the lengthy posts regarding it that I've come across in this forum--I would think that it would be a prime candidate for a sticky or something similar.
Sorry, but I think your post is off-topic. If you have suggestions for the moderators, you should PM them!
Old 12-23-06 | 10:54 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

If you don't like the whining, why are you wasting your time reading the post? I might suggest, if you allow it, that you push the down arrow on your keyboard or utilize the scroll wheel on your mouse. An even more effective solution is to bypass the thread altogether by not clicking on threads that you already know are filled with "whining" posts. If you allow it, I might also suggest that you refrain from repeating yourself like this because dare I say it, you are starting to whine about whining posts.
Okay--I shouldn't be suggesting that people shouldn't post whatever they want just because I may or may not care for it...fair enough; then in all fairness you should do the same and not "suggest" what threads I should or shouldn't click on...after all, I would be out of line if I were to "suggest" to you which threads you should or shouldn't post in if I didn't care for some of your posts in threads that I may be browsing in, no?

Last edited by toneman; 12-23-06 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-23-06 | 01:16 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Okay--I shouldn't be suggesting that people shouldn't post whatever they want just because I may or may not care for it...fair enough; then in all fairness you should do the same and not "suggest" what threads I should or shouldn't click on...after all, I would be out of line if I were to "suggest" to you which threads you should or shouldn't post in if I didn't care for some of your posts in threads that I may be browsing in, no?
Please take your discussion off-line and PM each other...this is way off topic.

Moderators, please help!
Old 12-23-06 | 01:31 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2007es350
Please take your discussion off-line and PM each other...this is way off topic.

Moderators, please help!
I agree, it's off topic but it's still a discussion. There is no animosity meant or immature name calling going on. It's still related to the subject at hand. In fact, I might go so far as to say that all of this is quite entertaining and informative at the same time. Kudos to all those that have participated.
Old 12-23-06 | 01:39 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Toneman, I merely "suggest" that you avoid reading threads that don't interest you or irritate you with repeated whining in response to your "suggestion" that people don't whine. This is a public forum and as such, I don't expect tell people what to do or expect them to do as I ask. I am merely a contributor/nuisance . I believe that this has been a healthy and stimulating discussion and makes a huge statement about the quality of members on CL. There are a lot of boards where a thread like this would have gotten quite ugly and out of hand. FWIW, one of my favorite auto forums out there has a huge off topic sub-forum that is filled with healthy discussions and outright craziness. If anyone is interested PM me.
Old 12-23-06 | 02:28 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Everybody........ this post marks a line in the sand.

Continuation from this post net's a temporary ban to persons involved posting anything related to the strife above.

Make your next posts wisely.

.....back to topic.
Old 12-23-06 | 04:00 PM
tnedator
Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Everybody........ this post marks a line in the sand.

Continuation from this post net's a temporary ban to persons involved posting anything related to the strife above.

Make your next posts wisely.

.....back to topic.
While I might speak a new song after the first and after we have driven my wife's soon to be new ES, I am seeing evidence that Lexus is taking the tranny issue seriously, by issuing TSIB's, replacing valve bodies, replacing transmissions, etc.

If there goal was pretend the problem didn't exist, there wouldn't be TSIB's and they wouldn't be spending a ton of money replacing transmissions.

Cars are mechanical in nature, and things go wrong. The sun roof on my forester has a design flaw, where the tracks can bind and it won't close without walking the thing closed with little bursts on the switch.

My Forester also has a freaked out climate control system. It effected all '03 and '04 Foresters (I owned an '03 and then traded it in for a turbor '04 model when they came out and had the problem on both), and I believe was fixed in '06 models, but they never issued a TSIB (or whatever Subaru issues) to correct the problem for existing customers like me. A smart owner came up with a solution to the problem http://www.geocities.com/samiam_68/S...CS/SSC_Fix.htm.

This design flaw makes it virtually impossible to keep the car a comfortable temperature when the temp is below 45-50 dergrees outside, and you have to constantly change the temp setting on the climate control. However, they didn't issue a fix for it.

Lexus appears committed to fixing what they design wrong, even if it takes them a while to do so. Not all car companies are so inclined.

Hopefully, when we finally are able to pick up our new ES next week it won't have excessive wind noise (coming from subaru's, we probably won't notice if it does), and hopefully there isn't rattles, and I really hope there isn't a transmission flare, but I am going in to this realizing that cars mechanical in nature and tend to have problems, ESPECIALLY in first year production runs. Anyone (myself included) that buys a first year production run and then is 'mad' because there are issues has nobody to blame but themselves. If you want to be an early/first year adopter (as my wife does), then except the fact you might have a few glitches.
Old 12-23-06 | 05:02 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tnedator
Anyone (myself included) that buys a first year production run and then is 'mad' because there are issues has nobody to blame but themselves.
Good thing the FDA does not have this type of attitude of blame the consumer for buying and using a newly released product.

Quick Reply: I want to buy an ES350 but...