ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Possible "fix" to wind noise on highway

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-07, 05:08 PM
1seeker1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob,

I ended up turning in my 07/06 build loaner for a 09/06 build before I had a chance to look at the 07/06 for this issue. However, I did look at the 09/06 loaner and it has the goop, a silverish color on my gold colored loaner. The 07/06 build, the 09/06 build and my 10/06 build do not seem to have much difference in terms on road noise. The o7/06 had Bridgestone tires and both the 09/06 and my 10/06 have Michelins. I've also seen Toyos.

From a wind noise perspective, seeing we are talking about noise, my car seems to be the best of the bunch. Interestingly, the 09/06 is clearly the worst, and I now truly understand the wind noise complaints I have read about.

Seeker
Old 01-07-07, 07:13 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No matter what, to have to turn the a/c on recirc to minimize wind noise is unacceptable. My dealer suggested this very suggestion.
Old 01-07-07, 10:28 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
It's more or less a 1 foot deep and length of car swath of the stuff from front wheel area to rear wheel area each side of car with those larger plugs sort of in the midline of it.

When you have real good light check it out and see though I know it is a pain to get down and look under there. The bare metal is easy to spot, or was on my former car, it just looks like aluminum.
Yah, you're right - upon closer inspeciton (and removal of a bunch of mud), I did notice the black stuff you are speaking of. I didn't pay much attention to that before albeit I've been under the car several times in the past to change the oil, and even check for those gaskets.

I guess it was a bit dark outside when I last checked so I didn't see it when I posted previously. I actually brought my car into the garage and jacked it up high enough to get underneath with a flashlight.
Old 01-08-07, 03:46 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
Yah, you're right - upon closer inspeciton (and removal of a bunch of mud), I did notice the black stuff you are speaking of. I didn't pay much attention to that before albeit I've been under the car several times in the past to change the oil, and even check for those gaskets.

I guess it was a bit dark outside when I last checked so I didn't see it when I posted previously. I actually brought my car into the garage and jacked it up high enough to get underneath with a flashlight.
LOL 07,

You should try to take her off-roading less, so there is less mud buildup and you can answer our questions quicker in the future
Old 01-08-07, 04:00 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1seeker1
Bob,

I ended up turning in my 07/06 build loaner for a 09/06 build before I had a chance to look at the 07/06 for this issue. However, I did look at the 09/06 loaner and it has the goop, a silverish color on my gold colored loaner. The 07/06 build, the 09/06 build and my 10/06 build do not seem to have much difference in terms on road noise. The o7/06 had Bridgestone tires and both the 09/06 and my 10/06 have Michelins. I've also seen Toyos.

From a wind noise perspective, seeing we are talking about noise, my car seems to be the best of the bunch. Interestingly, the 09/06 is clearly the worst, and I now truly understand the wind noise complaints I have read about.

Seeker
1seek...,

We can assume that several of the 09/06 builds have this stuff applied under there.

Now if some with older builds would look for it and report we will know more.

I know for certain my 06/06 did not have it as I spent too much time under there.

I suspect some with older builds who do not like road noise they feel is present also do not have this stuff applied. My current with this stuff has less of it but it also has far better door alignment than former which is what I thought was the reason for improvement.

As for turning the larger plugs right side up and wind noise, I don't think it did anything at all but also will say the goop applied, which oversprayed into plug recess, is uneven and the seal of plugs is not as good as if it were not in those plug recess areas.
Old 01-08-07, 12:43 PM
1seeker1
Rookie

Bob,

Which way do you consider the right side up on the plugs?
Old 01-08-07, 12:51 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1seeker1
Bob,

Which way do you consider the right side up on the plugs?

You have to take one out to see, but the right side up is where the flange or lip of the plug is outside the car not pushed up through hole. You'll see the metal is hole punched and as well there is recess surrounding the hole punch to accept the flange...that is unless it is coated with the black goop...LOL...it still is recessed but somewhat uneven surface due to the goop. On my former car putting the plugs in right side up would have fit better as it had none of that stuff applied and no overspray coating recess.

If you look at the 2 smaller ones right near back of front wheels you'll see the difference, they are put it in the way I would have thought the larger should be and how they are now on my newer car since I turned them all over.
Old 01-18-07, 06:00 AM
static
Driver

My 08/06 build had the wind noise problem starting ~40mph. Sounded like the driver window wasn't completely closed.

When I went in for the 5K service, I talked to them about it. They test drove the car and agreed it wasn't right and ordered a seal "B Pillar outside moulding".

This week they installed the seal, then test drove the car after installing it and said there was still wind noise evident even below 40mph. They took the door apart and "increased tension of weatherstrip". I believe the weatherstrip is feltlike strips that contact the glass inside the door.

There is a dramatic difference now, on my car they have solved the problem.

I had earlier checked the underside of the car, all of the plugs were in place and my car has the black stuff in a strip between front and rear wheels.

My car doesn't rattle, doesn't have the trans flare and although it did have the deisel tapping during the first week or so, that is completely gone.

My only remaining issue is the seat belt buzzer. They've tried twice to shut it off but it still hounds us. I've tried using the instructions posted somewhere on this forum and I couldn't shut it off either. It's a minor irritant since we always buckle, but don't need to be told that by a box!
Old 01-18-07, 06:10 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by static
My 08/06 build had the wind noise problem starting ~40mph. Sounded like the driver window wasn't completely closed.

When I went in for the 5K service, I talked to them about it. They test drove the car and agreed it wasn't right and ordered a seal "B Pillar outside moulding".

This week they installed the seal, then test drove the car after installing it and said there was still wind noise evident even below 40mph. They took the door apart and "increased tension of weatherstrip". I believe the weatherstrip is feltlike strips that contact the glass inside the door.

There is a dramatic difference now, on my car they have solved the problem.

I had earlier checked the underside of the car, all of the plugs were in place and my car has the black stuff in a strip between front and rear wheels.

My car doesn't rattle, doesn't have the trans flare and although it did have the deisel tapping during the first week or so, that is completely gone.

My only remaining issue is the seat belt buzzer. They've tried twice to shut it off but it still hounds us. I've tried using the instructions posted somewhere on this forum and I couldn't shut it off either. It's a minor irritant since we always buckle, but don't need to be told that by a box!
Static,

That is good news that they took it seriously and did the work they did.

If I understand right, it sounds like they used the lower portion of glass typically unexposed in door panel and placed it under increased pressure by adding felt or something to force the upper-visible glass to press against it's seal with more force. Sounds plausible to me it would net a benefit.

If time and circumstance permit can you confirm exactly what portion was involved in the tensioning or convey their steps involved description that they may give you if asked?
Old 01-22-07, 03:02 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by static

<stuff deleted for brevity>

Re: your wind noise issue--interesting that they ordered a B-pillar-related seal; I say that because I have wind noise in my ES and from what I can tell, it seems to be loudest around the B-pillar area rather than in the A-pillar area. I'll have to ask my service advisor to try that out next time I visit my local dealership.

Re: seat belt buzzer--ask your service advisor to do some more research, or else find another dealership employing a more-knowledgeable one; my local service advisor initially hadn't heard about the ability to "deprogram" the seat belt chime but was eventually able to find the instructions on how to do so.
Old 01-23-07, 08:14 AM
static
Driver

I was wrong about the seat belt buzzer, they did turn it off, I guess something else was causing a chime a couple times right after the service.

I just read the post about adding felt inside the upper seal, I think what they did to my car inside the door has the same affect, but coming at it from a different angle, it slightly repositions the glass into better contact with the rubber seals.

Before this service, the worst noise in my car was coming from right around/above my ear.