ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

UL Seats, Roof, and Features

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-06, 12:29 AM
Lex13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UL Seats, Roof, and Features

As a future ES owner, I have to ask you current owners about some of the features on the UL. I have not seen one in person yet (maybe next month during the St. Louis Auto Show) so I'm bringing my questions to this forum.

First, for those of you who have been inside both UL and non-UL versions, what’s the difference in the seat leather? You can get heated and ventilated seats in the PP version, so what gives? If the UL leather is much softer, that's a big plus for me.

Next there's the glass roof. I love it and hate it at the same time. When closed, it really sets the ES apart from its competition. The color contrast between the dark roof and the white, amber pearl, or ruby body colors is just awesome (having the back window tinted even kicks it up a notch). I can only imagine what a nice view the rear-seaters have when they slide the shade forward and peer out. From the inside, the UL does not say "near luxury" at all.
However, from the outside, the moon roof when opened, (IMO) seems to detract from the looks of the vehicle. It just looks a little odd to have the moon roof slid back over the outside of the roof on a $40,000 car. I fully understand that it has to be set up that way to have that panoramic view from the inside, but this is just something else to make my choice more difficult.
Do any of you UL owners have pics of the roof from inside when closed? I've seen pictures of the opened up, panoramic view but I'm curious about the looks with the shades closed.

Lastly, are there any other features that you UL owners would truely miss if a silly little fairy suddenly changed your car into a PP version with Nav. and ML?

We are still in the process of narrowing down the style and color, so any insight that you guys can provide regarding the leather, glass roof, or any other feature would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-20-06, 05:23 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lex13
As a future ES owner, I have to ask you current owners about some of the features on the UL. I have not seen one in person yet (maybe next month during the St. Louis Auto Show) so I'm bringing my questions to this forum.

First, for those of you who have been inside both UL and non-UL versions, what’s the difference in the seat leather? You can get heated and ventilated seats in the PP version, so what gives? If the UL leather is much softer, that's a big plus for me.

Next there's the glass roof. I love it and hate it at the same time. When closed, it really sets the ES apart from its competition. The color contrast between the dark roof and the white, amber pearl, or ruby body colors is just awesome (having the back window tinted even kicks it up a notch). I can only imagine what a nice view the rear-seaters have when they slide the shade forward and peer out. From the inside, the UL does not say "near luxury" at all.
However, from the outside, the moon roof when opened, (IMO) seems to detract from the looks of the vehicle. It just looks a little odd to have the moon roof slid back over the outside of the roof on a $40,000 car. I fully understand that it has to be set up that way to have that panoramic view from the inside, but this is just something else to make my choice more difficult.
Do any of you UL owners have pics of the roof from inside when closed? I've seen pictures of the opened up, panoramic view but I'm curious about the looks with the shades closed.

Lastly, are there any other features that you UL owners would truely miss if a silly little fairy suddenly changed your car into a PP version with Nav. and ML?

We are still in the process of narrowing down the style and color, so any insight that you guys can provide regarding the leather, glass roof, or any other feature would be greatly appreciated
I am a UL owner and I am very happy that I bought the UL package. I went to the dealer to buy a PP with nav, but they did not have my color in stock and it was a 6 week wait for it (TP with black interior). They did, however, have a UL on the showroom floor in my color. I was not planning to pay this much money for the car, but I am very glad I did. ML sound, softer leather, nicer wheels, glass roof, and rear sunshade are some of the major upgrades you get with the UL. As to the roof, I don't have any pics (I am at work), but I did have the same concern you did about the roof opening outward and the looks of it. Actually, I have received compliments on the way it looks, because the full panel opens (from door to door) and it does look better than I expected. The rear passengers do like having an "open" feel to the car with the dual sunroofs (only the front opens).

As to the leather, I did drive a loaner and did notice a difference in the leather. Once you have it, you are spoiled. The loaner car felt rough.

What would I miss? Soft leather, glass roof and ML are my top three options, followed by the nice looking wheels. The rear sunshade I would not miss that much.

Figure this, you will get back about an extra $2,000 at resale time for the UL package, and your car will stand out above the rest since only about 10 to 15% of the ES 350 will be UL. If you do buy the PP package, that too is a beautiful car. Enjoy it and good luck!
Old 12-20-06, 05:41 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am another happy owner of the UL model and I agree 100% what MD350 said in the above post. I also was concerned about the looks and operation of the panoramic moonroof, but after a short while I realized that these concerns were truly unfounded. Everybody who has seen it in operation, and looks, has loved it......truly distinctive. If you can get the UL, I say, go for it...I guarantee you'll NEVER be sorry!
Old 12-20-06, 08:45 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Without the UL package, I would not have bought the es350. I really like the ML sound, softer leather seats, and panoramic roof.
Old 12-20-06, 10:12 AM
rboyle23
Rookie

I have my UL and would not give it up.

My wife complains everytime I have the loaner due to the seats not being as confortable.

I complain everytime I have the loaner because the stereo is horrible compared to the ML.

The panoramic roof is nice but not a deal breaker for me. I have people in the back very rarely so I do not notice it that much.

The wheels look a lot nicer but that is something that can be done aftermarket if you choose to.

Personally, if you have the option for UL, I would do it if you can afford it. I spent sometime going over both and very glad I decided to go with the UL.
Old 12-20-06, 12:17 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Another vote for UL from me...although if I had to nitpick/complain, I'd offer that the three UL-specific features--namely, the panoramic roof, the semi-analine leather seating surfaces, and the graphite-polished wheels (although technically it is possible to purchase the graphite wheels for use on a non-UL equipped ES after the fact)--don't quite justify the price difference between the UL and a similarly-equipped non-UL (i.e., everything the UL has except the two UL features) IMHO.
Old 12-20-06, 01:18 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

cautionary statement: dont plan on getting too much extra resale value back for buying a UL model, too early to tell, but i doubt there will be a large add in the book for that package, the biggest adds will be for the nav and mark lev audio. buy it cause you LIKE it, not based on the resale ability.
Old 12-20-06, 01:59 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jjbodean
cautionary statement: dont plan on getting too much extra resale value back for buying a UL model, too early to tell, but i doubt there will be a large add in the book for that package, the biggest adds will be for the nav and mark lev audio. buy it cause you LIKE it, not based on the resale ability.
J.J., do you have any idea what a 2007 ES PP and 2007 ES UL are going for right now, used? Lets say around 10-15K miles. Just wanted to know for my information.
Old 12-20-06, 02:01 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MD350
J.J., do you have any idea what a 2007 ES PP and 2007 ES UL are going for right now, used? Lets say around 10-15K miles. Just wanted to know for my information.
when you say PP you mean premium package or premium plus?

and when you say going for, you mean wholesale or retail?
Old 12-20-06, 03:21 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

no one should buy a car for resale value anyway, since a car is NOT an investment. You buy it cus you love it...

Since i owned a PP and currently own a UL, I can tell you the leather in UL is slightly softer but not night-and-day difference. The panaramic roof and ML are really nice features. The graphite wheels give it a sleeker look. IMHO, the UL truly sets the ES350 apart from a Camry..... Definitely worth considering.
Old 12-20-06, 05:00 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

when you say PP you mean premium package or premium plus?

and when you say going for, you mean wholesale or retail?
PP+ and wholesale (trade in).

Thanks
Old 12-21-06, 07:00 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

i would say a premium plus would be about $31k and a UL about $35k wholesale with 10-15k miles, no prior damage and good tires and windshield. also needs to be a decent color, no goofy color combinations
Old 12-21-06, 07:48 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The UL in dark colors is nice too. The seat leather is softer and the look with the graphite wheels is richer. I parked next to a non UL ES350, same colors and our ES350 UL came off nicer looking. If only the transmission issue would stay solved.....
Old 12-21-06, 10:58 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

i would say a premium plus would be about $31k and a UL about $35k wholesale with 10-15k miles, no prior damage and good tires and windshield. also needs to be a decent color, no goofy color combinations
Thanks! I hope TP/Black would not be a goofy color combo
Old 12-21-06, 11:11 AM
tnedator
Driver

Is Ruby Red/Cashmiere goofy?

Quick Reply: UL Seats, Roof, and Features