ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Anyone install ES330 Sirius Kit in ES350?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-06 | 08:27 AM
KJG
Driver School Candidate

Default Anyone install ES330 Sirius Kit in ES350?

Just received my Sirius kit from lexusparts.com and was hoping for some advice. I was told the Sirius install was similar to the XM install -- the online instructions show the XM box installed in the trunk with all connectors there. However, the ES330 instruction show the install requiring a 12 pin connector in the dash of the ES330. Does anyone know if the 12 pin connector is in the trunk of the ES350, or will I have to disassemble the dash to install this kit?

Hoping someone else has done this as I don't want to disassemble the trunk in search of a cable that isn't there.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12-21-06 | 09:37 AM
KJG
Driver School Candidate

Never mind everyone -- my initial search did not turn anything up, but I just found a thread on the subject from jtrain73 which answered my questions.
Old 12-21-06 | 11:08 AM
tnedator
Driver

Originally Posted by KJG
Never mind everyone -- my initial search did not turn anything up, but I just found a thread on the subject from jtrain73 which answered my questions.

Any chance you have a link to the thread? My dealer is telling me XM only, but I have recently switched to Sirius because of the NFL coverage.

Also, I would love to hear how it turns out for you after you do the install.
Old 12-21-06 | 11:24 AM
KJG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tnedator
Any chance you have a link to the thread? My dealer is telling me XM only, but I have recently switched to Sirius because of the NFL coverage.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=1#post2067193

I'm not so sure I want to remove the Nav system. As much as I like Sirius, I may consider XM at this point. I'll have to think it over this weekend....
Old 12-21-06 | 08:37 PM
psp
Pole Position

Hi,

I have Sirius installed in my car with Nav and ML. Works great except for "the flaw". I would mount the antenna outside the car on the rear deck. Inside the car, by the 3rd light, I had more dropouts of signal than I cared for. This might be due to the west coast of California being near the fringe of the footprint (or maybe something else, I just do not know). Mine is outside the car below the 3rd tail light on the trunk lid.

One thing to be careful of is to make sure all of the connectors are well seated. If not the sound may be problematic as in channels cutting out.

Done right it makes a formidable addition to any system. On my car, in case you are wondering, I have AM, FM, Sirius, the VaisTech unit for my iPod, DVD player (only DVD video's, like live concert footage, in the in dash player. I have my CD collection ripped to my iPod) and cassette just in case (I have yet to use it actually). Many choices for entertainment.
Old 12-22-06 | 05:20 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Peter, you are correct about the West Coast vs the East Coast. So far, from everything I have read, lots of people on the East Coast have their antenna inside on the rear shelf next to the break light and have no problems. While, on the West Coast (especially w/Sirius) you gotta keep antenna outside. Looking forward to mine next week, will be getting Sirius!!! Antenna will be going outside in the bottom right corner on the rear window (very neat spot on GS to place the antenna).
Old 12-23-06 | 05:04 PM
KJG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tnedator

Install went fairly smoothly. I think the hardest part was getting the vents to pop out. I taped everything up as shown in the head unit removal thread, so avoided any damage, but it took quite a bit of force to pop them out. I decided not to place the receiver unit in the console as I did not see a secure place to mount it and felt it would rattle. Instead I placed the receiver under the passenger seat. Had to unbolt it to work the wire under the carpet and put everything in place, but that was simple.

So glad to have Sirius in the car again! My ES is two weeks old now and I was suffering withdrawal pains....
Old 12-23-06 | 06:12 PM
tnedator
Driver

Originally Posted by KJG
Install went fairly smoothly. I think the hardest part was getting the vents to pop out. I taped everything up as shown in the head unit removal thread, so avoided any damage, but it took quite a bit of force to pop them out. I decided not to place the receiver unit in the console as I did not see a secure place to mount it and felt it would rattle. Instead I placed the receiver under the passenger seat. Had to unbolt it to work the wire under the carpet and put everything in place, but that was simple.

So glad to have Sirius in the car again! My ES is two weeks old now and I was suffering withdrawal pains....
Mine will be my wife's car, and she actually preferred XM. So, for the time being I think I will pay a bit more and keep both a Sirius account (for my Forester) and an XM account for the ES. If we are going on a long trip and I want to listen to NFL radio, I can always take my plug and play Sirius radio with us and throw an antenna in the back window area.
Old 12-23-06 | 10:55 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twister
Peter, you are correct about the West Coast vs the East Coast. So far, from everything I have read, lots of people on the East Coast have their antenna inside on the rear shelf next to the break light and have no problems. While, on the West Coast (especially w/Sirius) you gotta keep antenna outside. Looking forward to mine next week, will be getting Sirius!!! Antenna will be going outside in the bottom right corner on the rear window (very neat spot on GS to place the antenna).
I agree, I tried putting the Sirius antenna on the rear shelf and the lower corner of the rear window and it was awful. A couple of dropouts per minute. It only seems to work well on the roof.
Old 12-24-06 | 07:40 AM
KJG
Driver School Candidate

I decided to try the glass mount interior antenna included in the kit. No problems in areas where I know there are terrestrial repeaters. Without them, there is a delay changing channels in which the unit indicates No Signal, then it pops in. Never had these problems with the mini external antenna on the roof of my old car -- that seems to be the best solution. But since I mainly drive in and around New Orleans (lots of repeaters) the interior antenna works for me.