ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

My ES350 is perfect again. No wind noise!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-06, 01:49 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lisa,

I checked the plastic parts on mine and both are secure.

Please let us know an update after the snow.
Old 01-04-07, 10:06 AM
joz350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another thing to try?

OK, have 2500 miles on my ES350 and the only gripe I have is the cabin noise, both the wind buffeting, as well as apparent lack of sound deadening.

I'm like a lot of you in that it is probably significant enough that I may never really enjoy the car. I did something last night and want someone else to try it to see if I'm way off or if it really helped.

There is a "rain gutter" (I'm guessing that's what that trench is for) along the top of the windshield. Anyway, I'm not an expert in drag coefficients or aerodynamics, but don't recall seeing this on any other car I've had and it just bothered me.

I bridged it with black electrical tape one end to the other including covering the strip that runs front to back along the roof panel. I think my ride in this morning was significantly quieter.

You still hear the trucks and occasional wind gust, but the overall din I've grown to dislike seemed much more tolerable.

I know this isn't a permanent fix, but if it works maybe there is a way (carefully applied RTV, or maybe some sort of epoxy from a body shop supply house?).

Anyone willing to try this and confirm or deny the results?

Thanks!

Joe
Old 01-04-07, 10:28 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by joz350
OK, have 2500 miles on my ES350 and the only gripe I have is the cabin noise, both the wind buffeting, as well as apparent lack of sound deadening.

I'm like a lot of you in that it is probably significant enough that I may never really enjoy the car. I did something last night and want someone else to try it to see if I'm way off or if it really helped.

There is a "rain gutter" (I'm guessing that's what that trench is for) along the top of the windshield. Anyway, I'm not an expert in drag coefficients or aerodynamics, but don't recall seeing this on any other car I've had and it just bothered me.

I bridged it with black electrical tape one end to the other including covering the strip that runs front to back along the roof panel. I think my ride in this morning was significantly quieter.

You still hear the trucks and occasional wind gust, but the overall din I've grown to dislike seemed much more tolerable.

I know this isn't a permanent fix, but if it works maybe there is a way (carefully applied RTV, or maybe some sort of epoxy from a body shop supply house?).

Anyone willing to try this and confirm or deny the results?

Thanks!

Joe

Joe,

You just answered a different question I had: What is the water trickling sound during a rain and where is it coming from which I had not noticed on my former ES350. I had no idea that channel was as deep as it is and that strip from front to back on both sides of the car is just plastic, but that is where the water is going in a rain storm...So attaboy with your observations!!! The front edge of it on driver's side of mine was slightly popped up so I pushed it down but need to do better by lifting gasket of windshield that is keeping it from going all way down at very front edge.

Not sure I want to tape up the car but will think about it. But curious if you think just a strip across windshield and just 2 inches back covering the very front area of those channels is just as good a test. It doesn't seem you would need to cover the whole length from front to back. I might go for that but want to use a tape that will come off easy and not remove any paint or clearcoat.

I did notice in cold weather the wind noise is slightly less, so there is at least one plus for colder temps.
Old 01-04-07, 02:48 PM
joz350
Driver School Candidate

Bob,

I only put the electrical across the horizontal gutter. I only continued the tape across the plastic strip. I did not apply any tape front to back. My intention was only to smooth out that horzontal gutter which has to be catching air at 70MPH.

I am leaving work now & will see if I still think it made a difference.

The elctrical tape won't hurt the paint if I only leave it on for a day or two.
Old 01-04-07, 05:10 PM
Patric
Pole Position

Masking tape is good also. Used to tape signs on cars for parades with it.

Don't use duct tape !!!!

Pat
Old 01-04-07, 10:42 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. We pay $40k+ for a new car from a company with "Pursuit of Perfection" as their ad slogan and here we are experimenting with masking tape and electrical tape to get rid of wind noise.
Old 01-04-07, 11:46 PM
Patric
Pole Position

I think the "Pursuit of Perfection" is being left up to the consumer these days, at least on the ES.

Pat
Old 01-05-07, 06:05 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. We pay $40k+ for a new car from a company with "Pursuit of Perfection" as their ad slogan and here we are experimenting with masking tape and electrical tape to get rid of wind noise.
2th, Pat,

I figured it out. When we get these they are already taken out of the package they came in for us so we don't have to open the package.

But somewhere on the package I now think it says:

Battery included, some assembly required
Old 01-05-07, 11:11 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
LOL!!! That reminded me of an email I fired off to my local GMC dealer regarding an issue w/ my Denali--w/o going too much into details, I sorta sarcastically told the service manager that if this is what GMC meant by "Professional Grade"...well I'm disappointed, to say the least!