ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350
View Poll Results: How much do you hate the speed lockouts on the Nav system?
I do not dislike them at all. In fact I am glad they are there.
3.70%
They are a minor annoyance.
11.11%
They are annoying as hell but I work around them.
3.70%
I hate them completely. Lexus: get rid of them!
81.48%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

How much do you hate the speed lockouts on the Nav system?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06, 10:32 PM
tnedator
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlawler
Isnt there a maintanence mode? In the Sequoia up to I think 2006 if you hit the menu, then the volume, then the top left corner of the screen, then botton left corner, then repeat top and bottom again you could enter a maint mode and disable the "safety feature". I didnt figure this out and as a matter of fact it was on a Toyota forum and came form a Lexus forum.

So for all the Lexus techs, whats the combination? Does it still exist?

I dont think this is Lexus, I think it has a lot to do with the different State regulations and Laws, maybe Federal, not sure.
According to the people in here, the last firmware update (that I think came with the last map date update), disabled the ability to use that key combination. To date, nobody has reported finding a new back door on the newest firmware.
Old 12-26-06, 10:38 PM
e-Mel
Rookie

Originally Posted by RobF350
its not just a lexus thing, every new car I have been in has the speed lockout.
My 2004 Acura TL had no lockout.
Old 12-26-06, 10:50 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by e-Mel

Yep, I had a 2004 TL too and WOW what an awesome Navigation system. Dont need to read the manual to operate it! Whats with the stupid icons on the Lexus Nav? Acura's is definately user friendly! Now only if they could fix all the rattles, flat spots, falling headliners in that car!
Old 12-27-06, 04:50 AM
RobF350
Driver

Originally Posted by e-Mel
2007 cars I have been in have the lock out.
Old 12-27-06, 07:16 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by garsarno
Probably because in some states, you cannot use a cell phone w/o a headset or remote and Lexus attorney deemed that if tele numbers came up, they were condoning cell phone use and some of us, who can multi task, might dial these numbers while driving.
Interesting, and I can see the logic behind such a reasoning...however, that sorta implies that one can be cited for (non-handsfree) cell phone use based solely on intent--similar to how one can theoretically be cited for DUI w/o actually having driven the vehicle, solely based on the fact that the person was sitting in the driver's seat w/ the key in the ignition. That would kinda suck if one got cited for cell phone use just because the officer managed to see the phone number(s) displayed on the screen while the vehicle was in motion, irregardless of whether or not said phone number was actually dialed (w/o use of handsfree device)...
Old 12-27-06, 07:26 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by autiger71
How much do I hate the lockout feature in my ES350? What ever happened to personal responsibility? This feature makes the GPS, bluetooth and mp3 features, the most expensive piece of junk you can buy. How many people just sit in the car to listen to music? I think most people listen while driving.
Add DVD video viewing to the list--IMHO the most-insensible (if not almost near-useless) entertainment feature in the ES 350; I mean, it's a neat feature but what practical good is there in having it? Heck, is one gonna sit there and watch video w/ either the engine running, thus wasting gas and adding unnecessary wear to the engine...or watch it w/ the engine off so as to prevent what I just mentioned, which of course would mean one would run the risk of draining the battery? Okay, I can see the argument about how it would be nice to watch video for a brief period while waiting for someone/something, but unless you can watch the video in its entirety (3-4 minute music videos or short video clips notwithstanding)...what's the point in watching it? Sorta like not listening to a music track in its entirety...
Old 12-27-06, 12:37 PM
nhawk2
Driver School Candidate

You may want to call Lexus Customer Svc and tell them that you don't like the missing override. I for one, told them I won't buy another Lexus w/o a GPS override.
Phone 1-800-255-3987
Old 12-27-06, 12:45 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not trying to change the subject, but.....

e-Mel and King, what are your thoughts between the Acura TL and the Lexus product? Overall ride, quality, etc.? I was just wondering because I traded an 04 TL on the 07 ES. I do miss the throttle response on that car and the tighter handling. However, the Lexus quality is A+. My Acura dealer thought I was crazy going to Lexus after having a TL, I guess I am not the only one who did.
Old 12-27-06, 07:34 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Originally Posted by MD350
e-Mel and King, what are your thoughts between the Acura TL and the Lexus product? Overall ride, quality, etc.? I was just wondering because I traded an 04 TL on the 07 ES. I do miss the throttle response on that car and the tighter handling. However, the Lexus quality is A+. My Acura dealer thought I was crazy going to Lexus after having a TL, I guess I am not the only one who did.
Yup, as you must have noticed they are 2 different animals. I loved the ride of the TL. Its handling was tight and the transmission was silky smooth and no one makes better engines than honda, yep even better than toyota, silky smooth engine. The problem with Acura is quality control. The materials are cheap and nothing inside the car(which is where i spend my time) comes close to Lexus. Example, in 6 months of owning the TL i had butt prints on the leather and the leather looked worn as if it was in a 10 year old car. What i have learnt is that buy a car for its interior because you spend the time inside the cockpit and that where lexus shines the best!
I was showing my co-workers my cars and the one comment that repeated was "oh i liked the acura better, its just more rugged looking" If i was judging the TL from a 3rd person view, I would say the same thing too because my TL had the sporty skirts all around and it just looked mean, but only if people know the nightmares inside the car. The headliner fell, needed new leather seats within a year and boy oh boy were there rattles everywhere. This is the reason why i am a Lexus owner!
Old 12-27-06, 09:55 PM
e-Mel
Rookie

I liked the performance and handling of the TL very much but grew tired of the "firm" ride. It seemed like I felt every bump in the road not to mention how hard a beating the low profile tires and rims took over potholes. The ES rides much softer. The TL had numerous rattles and the leather seats wrinkled very, very easily. Butt prints were evident after just a couple of weeks (I don't think I'm too heavy at 185lbs. ). Rear seat passengers always seemed to feel cramped and needing more leg room. That was probably because of the large hump on the floor (for the transaxle ?). Trunk space was on the small side and closing the TL trunk lid always sounded as if it was made of cheap tin. Interior cabin roominess overall is greater in the ES but the driver seat of the TL was more comfortable on long trips. The quality, fit and finish of the ES' interior is much better than the TL. The bluetooth connection quality of the ES is better (callers no longer tell me I sound distant). The Acura/ELS 5.1 surround system doesn't even come close to matching the quality of the Mark Levinson system in the ES. The TL navi had its plusses and minuses. On the plus side there was "no lockout" feature and it was very easy to use. I believe this is still the case in today's Acuras (maybe Lexus can learn something from Honda). On the minus side you had to wait some 20 - 30 seconds to get rid of the "agree" screen on powerup. On the ES you can do that right away. Also I like the nav's database in the ES. I have travelled many of the same roads with both cars and performed similar nav searches for stores, restaurants etc...The TL many times pointed me to places in far away locations (sometimes in other parts of the country) even though there were some locally. I've yet to experience that with the ES. The ES' nav database seems to be more complete but takes a little getting used to the menu structure compared to the TL. I am enjoying the ES very, very much and don't miss the TL at all (except for nav lockout). Everyone that has been in both of my cars has said without a doubt that the ES is hands down a better car. I agree.
Old 12-28-06, 06:17 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You both took the words right out of my mouth on the TL and ES. I feel the same way in many areas that you discussed. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-28-06, 09:56 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Yup, ES interior is much luxurious but the TL exterior blows the ES exterior out of the water. ES exterior says, I have accomplished a lot career wise and am showing the world what i have accomplished. The TL on the other end is more in line with Honda which says "I am rugged and I want to live in the moment and bringing out the kid in me. I like to work on cars and i show it." I am at a time in life, where I just need a reliable car that i dont have to worry about for years and being able to afford a luxury vehicle like Lexus is gods good grace. When I drove the Acura, no one ever said "Oh wow you drive a Acura" but now people say "Oh wow you drive a Lexus" with the impressed look! Too bad they dont realize I paid LESS for the lexus granted its used. The acura was $33,000 new and if I had bought the ES new it would have been $35-36 grand if edmunds is right.
Old 12-29-06, 07:52 AM
osokuko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kingofire
Yup, ES interior is much luxurious but the TL exterior blows the ES exterior out of the water. ES exterior says, I have accomplished a lot career wise and am showing the world what i have accomplished. The TL on the other end is more in line with Honda which says "I am rugged and I want to live in the moment and bringing out the kid in me. I like to work on cars and i show it." I am at a time in life, where I just need a reliable car that i dont have to worry about for years and being able to afford a luxury vehicle like Lexus is gods good grace. When I drove the Acura, no one ever said "Oh wow you drive a Acura" but now people say "Oh wow you drive a Lexus" with the impressed look! Too bad they dont realize I paid LESS for the lexus granted its used. The acura was $33,000 new and if I had bought the ES new it would have been $35-36 grand if edmunds is right.
It’s kind of weird how people see things, to me I saw at first that the interior of the ES looked cheap, unluxury interior - period. It took some time to actually see the beauty of the black interior and have become satisfied with it. As you know from that link I gave you about the project chef said him self they cut cost for more technology well you know engineers they love technology but not so much into luxury items like wood! The exterior of the ES is very good except for that happy smile at the bottom in the front grill. Eeew. The exterior say to me I’m Lexus enough said, It has nice lines flowing from front to rear and in the SGM color is defiantly says I’m strong and I’m unlike the other cars I’m unique on to my self. I looked at the older TL nice car, much better than the current TL car, it was longer the interior I though offered far more luxury things than I had expected to see, but the turn off for me was the exterior. To me it looked cheap like in flimsy fenders at the wheel well that wiggled, under the hood again flimsy bracing, to me it looked like it was saying buy me then stand back as I fall apart. After looking at the TL we went to look at the Avalon – but that’s another whole story.
Old 12-29-06, 08:40 PM
tnedator
Driver

Originally Posted by osokuko
The exterior of the ES is very good except for that happy smile at the bottom in the front grill. Eeew. The exterior say to me I’m Lexus enough said, It has nice lines flowing from front to rear and in the SGM color is defiantly says I’m strong and I’m unlike the other cars I’m unique on to my self.
I have never had a chance to see the Camry and ES 350 side by side. How much do these two cars look alike, considering the ES is based on the Camry. Is the glorified, $40k label appropriate when it comes to the overall similarities between the cars?
Old 12-29-06, 10:01 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tnedator
I have never had a chance to see the Camry and ES 350 side by side. How much do these two cars look alike, considering the ES is based on the Camry. Is the glorified, $40k label appropriate when it comes to the overall similarities between the cars?
Well I’ll try my best to summarize, we can start with the Toyota platform that is used for several models ES, RX, Avalon & Camry. The platform has the drive train and suspension components, cabin structure, and rear end. Each model utilizes the platform for it own design needs. RX needs a shorter wheel base, Avalon needs a longer wheel base and Camry and ES use the platform pretty much in the same way. I did notice the cabin structure frames between the two cars is a little different at the rear door area due to the ES rear door curve is a little different. And the ES UL is even more Lexus than Camry due to the panoramic top. There are no common interior part shared between the two cars. Sheet metal – hood, truck lid, roof lines, are different and the side panels appear to have different lines from front to rear. The rear of both cars are similar but not the same. And of course the Camry front looks different than the ES. So about the only thing shared is the platform. I would say the ES & Camry are based on the same platform and veer from there. So your paying more money for technology and design. That’s my best assumption. Please feel free to pick away.

Quick Reply: How much do you hate the speed lockouts on the Nav system?