ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Transmission unlearning?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-06, 10:07 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Transmission unlearning?

Okay, so we're told that our new car transmissions "learn" how we drive and adopt a shifting pattern most conducive to our personal style.

What happens when I sell my car to someone with a completely different driving style? Are they stuck with a transmission that remembers mine? Do our transmissions permanently imprint like a duckling to the first animal it sees, or does the learning process continue throughout its life?
Old 12-23-06, 10:21 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dreyfus
Okay, so we're told that our new car transmissions "learn" how we drive and adopt a shifting pattern most conducive to our personal style.

What happens when I sell my car to someone with a completely different driving style? Are they stuck with a transmission that remembers mine? Do our transmissions permanently imprint like a duckling to the first animal it sees, or does the learning process continue throughout its life?

I don't know how long they keep "learning" but do know it can be reset at dealer so that it goes back a few grades.

Personally, I think some custom learning claim is a bit of a stretch to be made for these.

We are told they are learning when slipping, so some are juvenile delinquents?
Old 12-23-06, 10:31 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

With my RX300, I can either (with the vehicle off) remove the EFI fuse (in the fusebox in the engine compartment) or pull the negative battery cable off for a few seconds and that resets the tranny.
Old 12-23-06, 05:18 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
With my RX300, I can either (with the vehicle off) remove the EFI fuse (in the fusebox in the engine compartment) or pull the negative battery cable off for a few seconds and that resets the tranny.
Lexmex is correct... But I would like to add.

The transmission is ALWAYS learning, it is "adaptive." There is a short "memory curve" that will be defeated within a short period of time by the new driver... Think about this, if I had to share a car with my wife, I'd probably be very disappointed if the trans were to learn her driving habits. Instead, within the first few miles the car learns and reacts to the way it's being driven so I would never know how the car drives when my wife is at the wheel.