Thanks Guys!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06, 11:45 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
I'll be Doug

Unless 2th can do a zoro snap in which case we can do a sketch of Men On Cars...
2 snaps in a Z formation just for you Bob!
Old 12-26-06, 01:13 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,239 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofire
I I just changed the ATF with synthetic Redline, see if that helps.
kingofire

From all I've read, the only approved substitute from the Toyota / Lexus ATF is Amsoil. I don't know 'what bad happens' if you use Redline (a brand I like and use their synthetic LSD gear oil and water wetter), but I personally would not be the first to find out w/ their brand ATF. I have read of transmission problems caused using other brand transmission fluids than the Toyota and Amsoil.

PS change your profile here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/pro...do=editprofile
Old 12-26-06, 01:44 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
2 snaps in a Z formation just for you Bob!
Old 12-26-06, 03:45 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
kingofire

From all I've read, the only approved substitute from the Toyota / Lexus ATF is Amsoil. I don't know 'what bad happens' if you use Redline (a brand I like and use their synthetic LSD gear oil and water wetter), but I personally would not be the first to find out w/ their brand ATF. I have read of transmission problems caused using other brand transmission fluids than the Toyota and Amsoil.

PS change your profile here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/pro...do=editprofile
Well the car has what they call "world standard" ATF, which has no dipstick and supposedly never needs changing. I plan to change it at 30k interval. I have used it on other toyota's so it should be fine. I do my own work and the receipts dont show redline atf so it'll be hard for them to prove me wrong.
I also use the water wetter and the SI-1 for fuel system cleanup at every oil change. Really are the best products. Only if the price of oil drops down from 8bucks/quarts, then i'll be happy.

Thanks for the link, i'll change my profile.
Old 12-26-06, 08:34 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Wow - you really dodged a bullet on that ES350 kingofire! I'm glad that the information here at CL has helped you in your car buying experience. How did the Sales manager react when you showed him the CL ES350 forum? Did he deny the trans problem before you showed him this site? Details please!!

Congrats on your ES330 deal as well.
Old 12-26-06, 11:16 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Yep, his behaviour was typical "Nooo, this is a lexus! It is perfect. Dont you know about Lexus reliability" Today, I called the service manager today to ask him if he's been getting this complaint and he told me that he deals with this day in and day out atleast 4 or 5 complaints a day but usually from the same few people calling repeatedly. He also told me that they are doing a buyback on 1 es because he's getting 19mpg and they've tried everything but nothing works. Well before hanging up, I kiddingly told him to educate the sales manager since he is presumably clueless about this problem, to which he just chuckled and said well he is a salesman! Gotta love it!
Talking about sales, he also told me that the Lexus survey is not as important as the sale itself. The dealer that sells the most cars in a month get more choices in inventory replenishment than the other dealers in that district. This is supposedly volume sales rather than gross dollar sales. One more reason to buy at the end of the month as dealers know how many cars to sell to beat the other dealers. Just a tidbit.
Old 12-27-06, 01:24 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They also get special allocations where they may get 2 cars for each one sold as an additional incentive.
Old 12-27-06, 04:44 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

He also told me that they are doing a buyback on 1 es because he's getting 19mpg and they've tried everything but nothing works.
king..I am glad you included this. I even did an mpg post on my former ES350 about it's really bad mpg to see what others thought, of course it had near cannery works level engine knocking and tapping.
Old 12-27-06, 07:43 PM
kingofire
Advanced

king..I am glad you included this. I even did an mpg post on my former ES350 about it's really bad mpg to see what others thought, of course it had near cannery works level engine knocking and tapping.
The poor guy has been fighting with Lexus corporate for close to 6 months from what he said. Finally they are doing something about it. Good for him. Persistence pays off so all you guys with problems just be persistent and let lexus know that you are not going to just go away after hearing the same verbatim day in and day out.
Old 12-28-06, 06:34 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

King or Dave.

Allow that I will likely never use it, so spend as little effort explaining as you wish, but what the hang is water wetter and what are it's uses?
Old 12-28-06, 07:06 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

King or Dave.

Allow that I will likely never use it, so spend as little effort explaining as you wish, but what the hang is water wetter and what are it's uses?
A water wetter, or otherwise known as a wetting agent is a substance that reduces the surface tension of a liquid, causing the liquid to spread across or penetrate more easily the surface of a solid.
Old 12-28-06, 05:55 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Originally Posted by amf1932
A water wetter, or otherwise known as a wetting agent is a substance that reduces the surface tension of a liquid, causing the liquid to spread across or penetrate more easily the surface of a solid.
Yep as Amf said, I would also add that it decreases the coolant temp by 20 degrees, which in turns helps longevity of enging oil as heat and oxidation are the 2 biggest problems in an auto engine. The oils job is not just to lubricate the engine parts but also helps cool the engine. A lot of hard core mechanics believe that when you reach your desired destination, its not a good idea to immediately turn the engine off because by leaving the engine on for a few more minutes you allow oil to flow to the engine parts and cool them down thus increasing engine life, but i dont follow or do that at all, to me its a waste of gas.
Old 12-29-06, 03:15 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Yep as Amf said, I would also add that it decreases the coolant temp by 20 degrees, which in turns helps longevity of enging oil as heat and oxidation are the 2 biggest problems in an auto engine. The oils job is not just to lubricate the engine parts but also helps cool the engine. A lot of hard core mechanics believe that when you reach your desired destination, its not a good idea to immediately turn the engine off because by leaving the engine on for a few more minutes you allow oil to flow to the engine parts and cool them down thus increasing engine life, but i dont follow or do that at all, to me its a waste of gas.
Thanks King and Alan...I just may have to get more familiar with the stuff for it's cooling benefits.