ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Video of Lexus ES350 "diesel" engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 09:09 AM
NEWRXOWNR
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the update, I am still pursuing some kind of resolution on my piston slap issue, we shall see.
Old 04-25-11, 12:39 PM
jjdees
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

newrxowner,

Sorry for not replying earlier. I haven't been on this site for awhile. Nothing new. I've tried to get some sources, auto mags, reporters, etc interested but I guess I haven't pushed the right buttons yet. As far as Lexus is concerned, they lied terribly at my arbitration meeting regarding the gas in the tank. Since then, I contacted the state agricultural secretary who's responsible for the gas stations in Georgia. He got the state's chief chemist involved and the actual station that I filled up at prior to Lexus checking the car out was examined and the gas was 93 octane. The Secretray informed me in writing that the gas is tightly controlled from entry to the state through to the retailers. I sent his letter and the letter from the chemist to the NCDS. They said no thanks, case closed. In addition, the lying lexus rep actually stated that the sound would go away IMMEDIATELY if premium (91 octane or higher) gas was used. I still can't believe thay could tell such bold faced lies and get away with it. I now have 53K on the car and the sound is worse and does not go away when warmed up. Please let me know how you do with the piston slap excuse.
Old 04-25-11, 01:53 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

After all of these headaches and 53k miles, have you considered getting rid of the car and into something else? You don't have too many miles for an '07 so the trade-in/resale value might still be decent.
Old 04-27-11, 11:32 AM
NEWRXOWNR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I tried 5w30 Redline oil with it's ester base on my RX 350 with the cold weather piston slap noise and found it lessened both the noise volume and time for it to stop.
I have a piston slap on my 2010 RX 350. The manual recommends 0w-20, any issue with warranty using the RedLine 5w-30? I would do anything at this point to at least lessen the sound.
Old 04-27-11, 11:37 AM
NEWRXOWNR
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jjdees
newrxowner,

Sorry for not replying earlier. I haven't been on this site for awhile. Nothing new. I've tried to get some sources, auto mags, reporters, etc interested but I guess I haven't pushed the right buttons yet. As far as Lexus is concerned, they lied terribly at my arbitration meeting regarding the gas in the tank. Since then, I contacted the state agricultural secretary who's responsible for the gas stations in Georgia. He got the state's chief chemist involved and the actual station that I filled up at prior to Lexus checking the car out was examined and the gas was 93 octane. The Secretray informed me in writing that the gas is tightly controlled from entry to the state through to the retailers. I sent his letter and the letter from the chemist to the NCDS. They said no thanks, case closed. In addition, the lying lexus rep actually stated that the sound would go away IMMEDIATELY if premium (91 octane or higher) gas was used. I still can't believe thay could tell such bold faced lies and get away with it. I now have 53K on the car and the sound is worse and does not go away when warmed up. Please let me know how you do with the piston slap excuse.
jjdees,
Wow, you have done a lot more work than I have. So far, the regional rep documented the sound as "Normal Piston Slap". I called Customer Support to open a case, and the word so far is they cannot do anything about it, the sound is "normal". I haven't spoken with the Customer Support person yet, but I will do what I can to try and persuade her to fix the car.

Did you try a 5w-30 or any other tricks to lessen the noise?

The kicker is, my 2010 RX has 8k miles on it, that's it.
Old 09-12-16, 02:29 PM
ricktek7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 2007 Lexus es350 engine noises solved (Miracle)

I had the engine rattle/clatter sounds on cold starts for 2-3 seconds. And also the continuous grinding sound even when the engine ran at normal temp. I was told by my Lexus dealer that it was an oil starved Cam shaft gear and not to worry, just endure the annoyance. SO HERE IT IS! Took my Lexus to a Mr Jiffy Lube and got an oil change as follows:

1) 6 quarts of the best oil (Mobil 1)
2) Toyota OEM oil filter costing $6 extra (I ranted on about the filter needing to have the anti-drain-back valve) and the mechanic was not impressed. He said this was not needed as the oil pump is very quick in lubricating the engine parts..

Solved for me: I kid you not !!! With the right oil and filter my Lexus is running like it has a new engine; wonderful. I still think it's some kind of a miracle; praise the Lord..
Old 09-12-16, 02:34 PM
ricktek7
Driver School Candidate

Default BTW: Mobil 1 oil is synthetic 5w30 grade

Addition to previous post
Old 09-14-16, 10:56 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,155 Likes on 986 Posts

Uh, I recall with the canister filter the ADV (anti drain back valve) is built into the metal filter housing attached to the engine and all you change is the filter insert that fits into the canister that you remove. See this photo.

Lexus Factory Oil Filter 2007 2015 ES350 | eBay
there is no filter with an ADV for this vehicle.
I think the fresh oil, and new filter made the difference. Maybe your old filter was clogged or collapsed or the dealer used heavier oil.
Old 09-14-16, 11:49 AM
ricktek7
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus engine noise at startup and beyond

You may have a point Clutchless. Thank gawd I put the best synthetic oil (Mobil 1) and OEM Toyota filter. The engine was suffering with constant grinding noise even after cold starts but fortunately no apparent damage. Now the engine runs smooth as butter. I will remain loyal to synthetic Mobil 1 oil and OEM Toyota filters. Happy as can be right now !

I also learned how to start the engine properly (Duh!!!). Instead of holding the start button down, I simply brake and tap the start button for a second or less. Got that from watching one of the 2007 Lexus ES350 youtubes.
Old 09-14-16, 01:35 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,155 Likes on 986 Posts

FYI, the Toyota (TGMO) synthetic motor oil is made for them by Mobil Oil, to Toyota's specifications.
Old 09-14-16, 02:05 PM
pbxcomm
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WOW! So many writeups about oil and oil viscosity.. I previously owned a Pontiac GT 3.8.. Piston slap on this motor became anoying, from what I read this was "normal", well I wasn't buying in to this. So, I read that Royal Purple could help eliviate piston slap and other such as valves or cam noise. I did the next oil change with Royal Purple, 3000 MI. later There was little or now change. However, the next oil change (Royal Purple) after about 1000 mi., piston slap was nearly un-noticable and eventually, the motor was nearly as quiet as new. That said, fast forwarding to my current vehicle 200 GS 350, I noticed what everyone else had heard especially at startup. So, I tried Royal Purple.. BUT, due to all the discussions about oil for these cars (no real definitive answers) and TSIB back in 2006, I change the oil with 3 quarts 5W-20 and 3 quarts of 5W-30.. Well, I can tell you that after the second oil change the motor is at least 50% les noise and a a matter of fact, I reallt dont notice any noicse from the motor other than typicle exhaust and upper manifold..
Old 09-14-16, 04:11 PM
ricktek7
Driver School Candidate

Default So pbxcomm we are the converted !!!

So oil is the thing for us. My Lexus is running smooth as butter using Mobil 1 and OEM Toyota oil filter

Praise the Lord !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-16, 12:24 AM
ricktek7
Driver School Candidate

Default synthetic motor oil is made for them by Mobil Oil,

FYI, the Toyota (TGMO) synthetic motor oil is made for them by Mobil Oil, to Toyota's specifications.

Clutchless; that's interesting to know. And that is probably why Toyota charges 3 times the price for their products
I used the Mobil 1 and that solved everything. Thanks for the info

FYI: Changed a front headlight bulb for $40 on EBay; was $270 + tax at Toyota. That's not a typo error.

Old 09-15-16, 02:27 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 970 Likes on 731 Posts

I use M1 0-20 and I'm happy. I came from Amsoil 0-30.