ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

A Few Questions About The Lexus ES350

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-06, 09:38 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dreyfus
It absolutely does. For how much your odometer and speedometer will be off, check this site.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Actually, I would say that changing wheel/tire size does not always absolutely affect odometer/speedometer...not unless we're quibbling over tenths of a MPH (see below)...

FWIW--I would have said that it would absolutely affect it IF the overall wheel/tire circumference of the wheel/tire change is not the same as stock. IOW--it is possible to go w/ a larger wheel/tire combo that does not affect odo/speedo reading more than 1 mph (i.e., fractional differences are negligible since even on a stock tire the overall circumference will change as the tire slowly wears out).

Last edited by toneman; 12-30-06 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-03-07, 07:37 PM
Eritsuke
Driver

Okay, so from what I'm getting from everyone's feedback is:

1) Don't get staggered rims because since it's front wheel drive, it won't have a lot of functionalitiy, and it'll be better when I rotate them. If he does have it staggered, then that's only for looks.

2) I already told him to go to Lexus for that problem last night even before I saw the posts, so I guess I told him the right thing.

3) I'll put a posting at the norcal area for tint shops that would better suit or tastes for tint.

4) I know that there's a difference in horsepower, and now I know what the difference is in compression, but when I try to search for what the "S" means in -FSE, I can't find any results, does the "S" mean Dual VVT-i? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks a lot for the information, I did go to the miata.net site that was posted and I told him to play around with the site to see what the differences are too, in what he has and wants on his car.
So basically the information on here is right?
Old 01-04-07, 04:19 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eritsuke

Seems as though you have it summed up nicely. Can you keep us posted on your friend's transmission and also if not too much trouble what build month is it which you can find on driver door jamb displayed as
month/year?
Old 01-04-07, 08:47 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Eritsuke
the 2GR-FE had VVT-i as does the 2GR-FSE and they're both quad cam designs... The "S" meaning you're looking for could indicate anything such as "S"port, "S"uper, "S"tellar or it was the 19th iteration of the engine that worked as in S = the 19th letter of the alphabet.

A note on tire sizing and speedometer calibration...

You can buy the same exact size tire from 2 different manufacturers and have a different circumference between the two, additionally the tire's circumferance changes with wear... So the affect the tire size has on the speedometer is always changing.