ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

outside mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-06, 11:45 AM
OAKPLANK
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outside mirrors

It appears that the driver's side mirror is not the same color as the passenger's side mirror (glass part).
The driver's side seems amber like and the passenger's side seems charcoal like.
Does this seem strange to you guys? Could it be that one has the dimming effect and the other not? I see a difference when light hits the inside mirror but not the outside mirrors.
I just picked up my ES-350 last week so I'm preparing a list of things to bring up to the attention of the dealer. So far this is the only issue I have with my 11/06 built car (500 miles)(three months delivery wait)
oakplank
Old 12-29-06, 12:38 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I notice that the outside mirrors are a little amber in color when they're not dimmed. When dimmed, they turn a graphite/gray shade. Perhaps what you saw was one mirror dimming independently/faster than the other side's mirror.

Try covering up the light sensor on the front of the center rear view mirror and shining a bright flashlight into the sensor on the inside (the side you look at while inside the car). The sensor is to the left of the "AUTO" button if I remember correctly. Hold the light there and see if both outside mirrors turn the graphite/gray color. If one is and the other one isn't or is not dimmed, then you may have a defective mirror on that particular side.
Old 12-31-06, 08:53 AM
OAKPLANK
Rookie

Thanks for your reply 07LexusGuy. I'm a little confused when you say to cover up the light sensor of the rear view mirror and shine a light into the sensor. Are there two different sensors?
I did turn off the sensor on the rear view mirror by pressing on the automatic button. At night, the different colors are hard to see. However, what I see from the passenger side is darker which leads me to think that the passenger's side is always dimmed, even during the day.
Is there a way where the auto dim can stay in the off position without turning back on when I restart the car?

oakplank
Old 12-31-06, 06:39 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oak,

There are indeed two sensors. One faces the front of the car (that one detects the amount of light comming from the front - i.e. outside light). The other sensor is on the opposite side of the mirror and faces towards the rear of the car (you can see this sensor on the right side of the AUTO button).

My previous explanation assumes you are doing this during the day when its easier to see the effects of the dimming mirrors. To clarify my explanation a bit, you'll want to cover up the light sensor that is on the front side of the mirror, the side facing out the front windshield. Once that is covered up, shine a light into the sensor on the opposite side of the mirror, the side facing towards the rear of the car (this is the sensor that is on the right side of the AUTO button).

By doing the procedures I describe above, you should be able to see the mirrors gradually dim. And to answer your question, no there's no way to keep the mirrors in the OFF state each time you turn the car on; it always defaults to the ON state even if you have previously turned them off.
Old 01-01-07, 08:10 AM
OAKPLANK
Rookie

Good day 07LexusGuy,
I tried what you suggested and found that the drivers side goes from clear to dark and back relatively quick. However, the passenger's side goes from dark to a bit darker and back to dark (after light is removed).
I think that both mirrors are working, but the driver's side has a darker tint to start with. I will bring this up at my first check-up. Maybe that mirror needs to be replaced. Thanks for your help.
oakplank