ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

U660E - Trans Flare *** SOLVED ***

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-06 | 06:00 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Default U660E - Trans Flare *** SOLVED ***

It's really been a rollercoaster of emotions, I feel for everyone, especially if you're anything like me... The thrill of a new a car, an awesome one at that and I got the Camry instead of the ES, I'd looked at both and decided the Camry would better suit my lifestyle with 2 small kids. But then I was sucker punched by an unexplainable problem, that while there were fixes being provided they didn't resolve the issue... I'm a "need to know" kinda guy, I'm into everything, I have some knowledge about almost everything (it seems) stacked away somewhere. This truly alarmed me... Had Toyota clearly indicated to me what was wrong and what would/would not truly fix the issue and I could wrap my simple mind around it, I probably wouldn't have needed to take matters into my own hands.

My conversation with the Service Director of my dealership (that is great by the way) really threw me for a loop... What he was telling me and the means by which I would have to still basically agree to being a guinnea pig was too much. I know a dead horse when I see one, it was up to me to resolve the issue. There's no way I was going to settle for a "mechanic special," that's not up to my spec and at times I "truly" rely on my car to be a solid piece... Having the mere thought of the intrusive rebuild needed to replace the transmission sent shivers up my spine, but that's all they were going to do for me. Apparently they know TSB TC-008-06 will not solve my issue, combine this with the fact I'm a tough cookie (declined the TSB before and told them why) that's why the FTS insisted I get the "new" transmission.

So, sockets in hand I set out to find the problem.

I looked high and low, red fluid ran from under the garage door, the neighbors were startled thinking I was butchering deer in the garage. I got the compressor going and I removed a little of this and a little of that, some things looked weird, like they didn't belong... I discarded them. Finally, after about 45 minutes of headscratching, I decided to put it all back together, a total failure.

Once I got the car running again, I remembered it was almost the end of 2006 and also it was the end of the month.... I suddenly got it! It hit me with an intense weight of "how could I be so stupid?"

It's the simplest fix...

Anybody can do it, all it takes is a little will and a couple hours of time... No intrusive transmission relacement, no misguided TSB, heck you don't even need tools!

Here's a clue... Note the placement of the sticker in the window of my CLAMry. Basically what it does is block the UV rays from hitting the driver's headreast so the transmission flare doesn't happen.

I have to draw this out somehow.
I'm going to miss you guys, but will continue to check in for progress, real or percieved.

I've walked away from Toyota after 15 years and 8 new vehicles in as many years. I should have seen the writing on the wall with my Sequoia.

I've joined the dark-side... Too good a deal to pass up, hopefully I'm once again whole, albiet a few thousand GWs lighter, no thanks to Toyota.

Old 12-30-06 | 06:47 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Good luck with the TL. Looks nice...

Is that pic in Oak Brook by any chance?

I went back and forth between the TL and ES when I was looking at new cars.
Old 12-30-06 | 06:50 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Good luck with the Acura! Your video was instrumental in my decision of not purchasing ES350. Its ironic where i went from Acura to Lexus! Keep in touch. If you have any questions on the new car, you can always PM me.
Old 12-30-06 | 07:25 PM
GumboChief
Driver School Candidate

That's 3 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.
Thanks.
Old 12-30-06 | 07:30 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Good luck with the TL. Looks nice...

Is that pic in Oak Brook by any chance?

I went back and forth between the TL and ES when I was looking at new cars.
Naperville... I got a little squirrly today when the transmission flared after the car was totally warm... It also flared on kickdown (maybe 3rd possibly 2nd) as treated the car a little harsher to put the trans through it's paces, to get it to "act up."

Before I knew it I was in a car shopping mall of sorts.... I drove between Acura, Lexus, BMW and Toyota at least three times each. Upon hitting the wall so to speak needing a bathroom, I found myself in the Acura showroom asking if there were any manual transmission TLs on the lot... Only Type-S, I wasn't real interested in the S model, but they had a gem of a loaded brand spanking new 2006 with a "great price." Same color and interior as my Clamry.

I wasn't losing my wallet near as bad I expected, so WTF live a little... If it doesn't work out, I can always say I was dumbass who traded a 2007 car for a 2006!
Old 12-30-06 | 07:33 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GumboChief
That's 3 minutes of my life that I'll never get back.
Thanks.
Sorry, but all the complaining I've been doing, I had to add a little drama...

You guys understand? I'm just funnin a little, I lifted a weight off my shoulders.
Old 12-30-06 | 07:43 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Didn't expect that from you onsknht. Very disappointing!!!

Gotcha!!! Good luck with a new TL. Did you get a regular one or that new 300+ hp TL-S?
Old 12-30-06 | 08:17 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by onsknht
Here's a clue... Note the placement of the sticker in the window of my CLAMry. Basically what it does is block the UV rays from hitting the driver's headreast so the transmission flare doesn't happen.

Ons...,

Very creative.

You sure found a sure fire cure for the trans flare.

I hope you enjoy your new car!
Old 12-30-06 | 09:22 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

When I read the thread I thought finally.

Then I saw the pictures - oh man you got me!

Well I am going to miss you.

Congratulation on the purchase and I’ll bit you’ll be sleeping much better at nights now.
Old 12-30-06 | 09:30 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Darn!!! You had my hopes up for a moment there...

Congrats on the TL!!! I used to own an '02 TL-S...had to unload it after my third child was born (just about near-impossible to fit three child seats in the back row of an '02 TL-S)...but it was fun to drive while I had it..took that puppy all the way up to near 150 mph, which is when the governor kicked in--LOL!!
Old 12-30-06 | 10:43 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

You totally beat me to it - this was going to be my announced solution for the second trans on my ES350!

Congratulations - I'm going to be about 3-4 weeks behind you with implementing this solution, but it is coming. Like you, I'll be a few thousand $$ lighter in my wallet but I bet you feel absolutely fantastic right now. Driving a car that drives well is truly a great feeling. I know when I was driving the M35 I was just driving in the car and enjoying the ride. I was driving my ES tonight and it just couldn't work out what to do and when with that darned trans.

Maybe give us some initial driving impressions in comparison to your old Clamry once you get a few days on the TL.
Old 12-31-06 | 04:13 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

had me fooled.
Old 12-31-06 | 04:51 AM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

lol, I was thinking WHAT!!!!!! he tore into his tranny?? the techs arent going to like that!!!!! Then I thought: no way!!!! he found the fix!!!!!

lol you really had me fooled. nice ending, another good luck here to you and your new TL.
Old 12-31-06 | 05:10 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

You got me! I had my hopes up as well. It's unfortunate that you had to trade the car in to resolve your problems. My first Toyota was a 2004 Camry SE 4cyl in the very same color combo as the Toyota that you traded in. It was a perfect car. Not a single issue, problem, rattle, hiccup, fart etc. It did everything better than expected and with extreme reliability and comfort. The ride with the SE package was superb, gas mileage was excellent, the cloth "cheapo" seats were more comfortable than leather seats, I had great headroom because I didn't have a moonroof, the "standard" Toyota stereo sounded better than the "premium" JBL system after I added a subwoofer and amp, the "cheap" manual A/C heater controls didn't require constant adjusting like the "premium" auto climate control system. Basically, I got a buttload of car for the money and I was VERY impressed with Toyota. Fast forward 2 years, I got a lemon of a 2005 Sienna Limited that was in the shop for 30 consecutive days. Like you, I ended up trading it in to get rid of the problem. I bought 2 Lexus' on the same day and since then have not been too happy with my Lexus experience as well. The irony is that my silver Camry SE got me into Toyota and your silver Camry SE got you out. Things sure have changed @ Toyota in 2 years! Good luck with the TL, I drove one a couple of years back and was quite impressed with the feel of the car.

Last edited by 2thfixr; 12-31-06 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-31-06 | 09:51 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Default Thanks Everyone

Thanks Everyone!

Again I apologize for being such a tease... I debated whether to even make a unique post, but figured there's gotta be some corporate shills lurking around here.

I will get some good pics up and provide some opinion as to the differences between Toy/Lex cars and Hon/Acura... I already have a small list, nothing bad, just different.

Quick Reply: U660E - Trans Flare *** SOLVED ***