ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

About to have ClearBra installed, anyone else have one.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-07, 09:48 PM
Sardian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to have ClearBra installed, anyone else have one.

I have had my ES350 since Oct. and have had no trouble from it except I have found that Lexus (and our Toyota) have rather hard and brittle paint and tends to chip easily, I already have about 5 noticeable chips on the front bumper and front edge of hood.

I have repaired the chips myself (Starfire Pearl color) and am now about to have a ClearBra installed on the car.

Does anyone else have one of these and have you had any regrets about getting one?

The one I saw in the showroom at the Lexus dealer was hardly noticeable and to me less noticeable than a bunch of chip repairers.

I'm paying about $595.00 for the front bumper, hood, front edge of fenders, and inside of door handles....Sound about right?

I'm really loving the car.
Old 01-03-07, 05:38 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sardian
I have had my ES350 since Oct. and have had no trouble from it except I have found that Lexus (and our Toyota) have rather hard and brittle paint and tends to chip easily, I already have about 5 noticeable chips on the front bumper and front edge of hood.

I have repaired the chips myself (Starfire Pearl color) and am now about to have a ClearBra installed on the car.

Does anyone else have one of these and have you had any regrets about getting one?

The one I saw in the showroom at the Lexus dealer was hardly noticeable and to me less noticeable than a bunch of chip repairers.

I'm paying about $595.00 for the front bumper, hood, front edge of fenders, and inside of door handles....Sound about right?

I had a 3M bra installed at time of purchase. I love it. I have it on the hood, full bumper, headlights, side fender and side mirrors. I do not have it on the door handles. I paid $650. The dealer suggested the headlights because they are very expense to repair if cracked. I have silver (TP) and no one has noticed the bra until I pointed it out. I am very happy that I bought it, and would do it again on my next car. Good luck!
Old 01-03-07, 07:00 AM
BMT22033
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sardian

I also had the 3M clear bra installed on my SGM ES350 (bought from the same dealer as MD350) and I think it looks good. It is not very noticeable unless you're looking for it. IIRC, the dealer initially quoted me $995 but, like MD350, I ended up paying $650 for it.
Old 01-03-07, 09:13 AM
e-Mel
Rookie

I had the clearbra on my black ES and did not like the look of it on the hood. The black paint on the ES is very glossy and smooth but the clearbra brought out too much orange peel. I was also told not to come into contact with it when using my porter-cable (buffer). The coverage on the hood was 24 inches and the difference in the appearance of the sheen was very bothersome to me even though it was only noticeable within a few feet. I removed it from the hood but left it on the bumper (harder to touch up rubber), headlamps, fog lamps and side mirrors. I realize I will eventually get some hood chips but c'est la vie.
Old 01-03-07, 11:05 AM
tnedator
Driver

Originally Posted by e-Mel
I had the clearbra on my black ES and did not like the look of it on the hood. The black paint on the ES is very glossy and smooth but the clearbra brought out too much orange peel. I was also told not to come into contact with it when using my porter-cable (buffer). The coverage on the hood was 24 inches and the difference in the appearance of the sheen was very bothersome to me even though it was only noticeable within a few feet. I removed it from the hood but left it on the bumper (harder to touch up rubber), headlamps, fog lamps and side mirrors. I realize I will eventually get some hood chips but c'est la vie.
How easy are they to remove, and is there any danger of damaging the paint when removing it?
Old 01-03-07, 12:42 PM
cino135
Driver

these prodcust are all excellent items to have on luxury vechiles, but from a body shop stnad point, its a PITA to take off. as long as you never need body work on the front, better hope its through insurance cause its gonna cost ya. and after its painted, you cannot install the bras again for at least another 6o days. and yes, you will have to buy ( or insurance ) the entire package again. but truth be told, much better to have than have not. some companies make a thicker plastic that shows much more than what lexus dealers are installing. so just be keen the the thickness of material being used, as it shows up much more over time.