ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES sales, never been better

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-07, 09:33 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
So of all the things that Acura lacks compared to Lexus (see 1SICKLEX's list), you justify that Acura is better than Lexus because it has a simple plastic sharkfin antenna that Lexus didn't have before? This is some very odd logic.

Oh yeah, how long did it take for Acura to put the rear view camera on the RL? It's been on the RX and LS for years now. I guess you can call it another "wow" factor but I think its a very useful feature especially if you have to back into a parking spot or back out of a garage onto an inclined driveway.

I'd also like to add that Lexus doesn't cheap out on the wood trim, every Lexus that comes with wood uses the real thing; not so the case with every Acura. Oh and the semi-analine leather, maybe I missed it but I didn't see that as an option on the TL or RL?
I think Kingofire owns an es330 not an es350. If he owns an es330, we can't expect him to really understand the improvements in technology of the es350.
Old 01-07-07, 10:25 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
lol
Acura didn't have auto leveling headlights or adaptive headlights until the RL, no other Acura has it. Almost every Lexus has it.
Automatic parking assist, Acura does not offer
Hybrid technology in the GS and RX and LS 600L h. There is more tech in those cars than any car on the road. Acura does not offer.
Did you know the RL has a simple 4 way passenger power seat. A 50k car. My 1992 ES 300 has a 4 way passenger power seat
AAAS suspension in the GS (optional) adaptive sway bars. Acura does not offer.
Auto closing trunks. Acura does not offer.
Acura took the electroluminescent gauges from, cough cough, Lexus.
LED headlights (LS), Acura does not offer
Direct injection
Dual VVTi
Panoramic roofs on the ES and RX

That is just a small sample. Lexus is a true luxury car maker. They HAVE to offer superior technology to compete with Mercedes and BMW.

lol, you are comparing the whole fleet to the Acura RL and Acura in general. All my point was that, some of the stuff offered in the Lexus ES350 is cosmetic. There is truly no functionality. I personally can live without the Push start/stop, swiveling headlights, panoramic roofs or semi alanine leather. If your best answer is semi-alanine leather, its not that great. Why does the ES350 not have LED brake lights? Infiniti and Acura come with it. You know what, I can care less about LED lights because they are all cosmetics. The reason why i am happy with a ES330 over a ES350 other than the issues on this board, is that all the functionality items on a ES350 is present on my ES330 and i paid close to $15,000 less. You do have a point about the passenger 4 way seat is in poor taste. When i compared the RL to the ES350, all the items that i considered important were better on the RL over ES350.
On a side note, after getting the ES330, every single person that has been in the ES330 has told me practically told me that the Lexus has more expensive feel but the Acura TL looked better. Too bad they didnt have to sit in the car day in and day out and listen to the rattles and things.
You seriously cant ask a $45,000 Acura RL to have the same options as a $90,000 Lexus LS. Yeah it doesnt have park assist but i tell you what, knowing Acura, they will be faster at catching up with technology than lexus is when it has to catch up with technology. When i bought the Acura TL in 2004, the best part was that it didnt have too many additional options, heck it was either a TL with Navi or without. Thats it, everything else was included. Secondly, paying $35,000, which is a lot of money to me, XM was included, no have to buy the kit then get gouged by the dealer to install it. Its 2007, 3 years later and lexus STILL only comes with "sat ready". Paying $42,000, satelitte should have been pre-installed and all we'd have to do was activate it. Why is it taking so long to do this??? See satelitte radio to me is a "functionality" item as i travel a lot and not having to change FM stations in every state, I can just listen to satelitte radio and have to worry about music. If this was other way around and lexus came with pre-installed with Sattelite radio, I bet you that Acura would have responded in the next model year to include satellite.

P.S. The acura MDX has rear view camera too. You cant compare rear view camera between a SUV and a regular car. There are reasons why a back up camera is installed in a SUV. I know you are intelligent enough to figure out why.
Old 01-07-07, 10:36 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
So of all the things that Acura lacks compared to Lexus (see 1SICKLEX's list), you justify that Acura is better than Lexus because it has a simple plastic sharkfin antenna that Lexus didn't have before? This is some very odd logic.

Oh yeah, how long did it take for Acura to put the rear view camera on the RL? It's been on the RX and LS for years now. I guess you can call it another "wow" factor but I think its a very useful feature especially if you have to back into a parking spot or back out of a garage onto an inclined driveway.

I'd also like to add that Lexus doesn't cheap out on the wood trim, every Lexus that comes with wood uses the real thing; not so the case with every Acura. Oh and the semi-analine leather, maybe I missed it but I didn't see that as an option on the TL or RL?
07lexusguy,

Last time I checked, i might be wrong but ES350's only have a back-up camera on the UL package only. I know that my ES330 does not have a back up camera, so the RL came out with the back-up camera before the lexus equivalent ES350. FYI, the new acura tl's will come with standard back up camera in their vehicle. I dont think you can find a back-up camera in a base ES350 that costs more than the TL. You can read the rest on my post above for other answers.

Guys, sorry to thread jack but please continue with the OP's question. I am not going to get into my car is better than theirs. I love my Lexus ES330 but am not going to close my eyes and become biased towards that company.
Old 01-08-07, 08:39 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofire
07lexusguy,

Last time I checked, i might be wrong but ES350's only have a back-up camera on the UL package only. I know that my ES330 does not have a back up camera, so the RL came out with the back-up camera before the lexus equivalent ES350. FYI, the new acura tl's will come with standard back up camera in their vehicle. I dont think you can find a back-up camera in a base ES350 that costs more than the TL. You can read the rest on my post above for other answers.
That is wrong. Any ES350 with Nav (like my Premium Plus) will have the backup camera. This is absolutely one of the best features of the car as my driveway is sloped to make backing into the street a visual challenge. With the display I can reverse with confidence and safety.

Unlike kingofire, I love the push button start and find it very convenient never having to dig out my keys. It is definitely a funtional plus for me.

I originally was going to buy an ES330, but then found the ES350 had 54 more HP and better MPG. After that, the decision was a no-brainer.

Purchasing a new model or redesign in the first year is never a really safe idea, but my ES350 has been largely problem-free and I'm happy with it.
Old 01-08-07, 12:37 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Originally Posted by dreyfus
That is wrong. Any ES350 with Nav (like my Premium Plus) will have the backup camera. This is absolutely one of the best features of the car as my driveway is sloped to make backing into the street a visual challenge. With the display I can reverse with confidence and safety.

Unlike kingofire, I love the push button start and find it very convenient never having to dig out my keys. It is definitely a funtional plus for me.

I originally was going to buy an ES330, but then found the ES350 had 54 more HP and better MPG. After that, the decision was a no-brainer.

Purchasing a new model or redesign in the first year is never a really safe idea, but my ES350 has been largely problem-free and I'm happy with it.
Thanks for correcting me about the back-up camera. I had not looked too closely on which models it came in, but your answer makes sense. I also do believe that a back-up camera is a very functional item and would love to have it in my es330. The RL has the back-up camera since last year i think. The horsepower in the new ES350 is the biggest functionality improvement from the older 330 to 350. My 330 feels very underpowered with the 225 hp especially taking the weight of the 330 into consideration. I absolutely loved the pick-up in the ES350. I truly miss that.
As for the push start, either way you get your car started. I want to keep this car for atleast 200,000 miles, thus my decision to buy a toyota product with legendary reliability, i was just concerned about the longevity of the push button start and when i asked the service about the cost to replace this out of pocket, he said close to 4 grand. I really dont want to spend 4 grand on the starter.
Old 01-08-07, 12:57 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

As for the push start, either way you get your car started. I want to keep this car for atleast 200,000 miles, thus my decision to buy a toyota product with legendary reliability, i was just concerned about the longevity of the push button start and when i asked the service about the cost to replace this out of pocket, he said close to 4 grand. I really dont want to spend 4 grand on the starter.
LOL. Gotta love the "sky is falling" attitude. I really doubt that the push button start will cost you $4k to fix. I think the fobs are around $350-400. Maybe about $1k for the built in receive and computer. Out of curiousity, was it your salesperson that sold you the es330 the one that gave you the $4k estimate?
Old 01-08-07, 01:04 PM
RobF350
Driver

the push button itself has nothing to do with the actuall starter motor,
it just replaces the old key tumbler.

I doubt a push button switch is $4000

alot of hot rod guys have been using the push button switch from the Honda S2000 for years now instead of keys.
Old 01-08-07, 01:09 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RobF350
the push button itself has nothing to do with the actuall starter motor,
it just replaces the old key tumbler.

I doubt a push button switch is $4000

alot of hot rod guys have been using the push button switch from the Honda S2000 for years now instead of keys.
2007..Rob......he mentions the service department told him replacement cost and I know when PHM's failed the way they got it to work was swapping out the computer between two ES350's, so she had to wait till they got a new one in to get her's working again.

I know he posted he got a 330 to avoid the transmission problems on his Thanks Guys thread..
Old 01-08-07, 03:42 PM
RobF350
Driver

what am I missing?

he said he got a es330 because he was worried about replacement costs in the future, like the $4000 push button starter.

I read that as he thinks if the starter motor goes its going to cost him $4000.
Old 01-08-07, 10:15 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2007es350
LOL. Gotta love the "sky is falling" attitude. I really doubt that the push button start will cost you $4k to fix. I think the fobs are around $350-400. Maybe about $1k for the built in receive and computer. Out of curiousity, was it your salesperson that sold you the es330 the one that gave you the $4k estimate?
No, this was the service advisor after i had agreed to buy the ruby red ES350. I had read here that out of warranty fix for the push start would be close to 4 grand. I called the service advisor and he told me that as of right now the price would be between 3-4k. He also added that in 4 years or so when push start becomes standard in most cars, the price might go down but realistically would still cost over 2 grand. My family has had a long standing relationship with this service advisor. He's a close friend of my dad so i dont think he would BS me.
Old 01-08-07, 10:30 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Originally Posted by RobF350
what am I missing?

he said he got a es330 because he was worried about replacement costs in the future, like the $4000 push button starter.

I read that as he thinks if the starter motor goes its going to cost him $4000.

Sorry, let me clear this up. I mainly bought the ES330 for 2 reasons. First, I went to take a second test drive of the car i had agreed to purchase and during the test drive, i experienced the "transmission flare". I really didnt feel like going thru what some of the people here have been so i decided to wait. Secondly, when i went to the another dealership, I was given this great deal on a "certified pre-owned" 2006 ES330 with 10,000 miles for $25,000 dollars. So i took it after the test drive. Part of the reason, I got a great deal is because my dads friend happens to be a service advisor there and happened to catch me while i was negotiating(being stupid, i didnt even think of him while negotiating). He pulled some strings for me and got me this great price. We just started chit-chatting and he told me that he wouldnt have let me buy the ES350 if he knew about it because he sees a lot of them come back for one problem after another. He told me that he has personally worked on something like 23 es350 transmission problems and so far lexus has bought back 4 es350's from him. I was reading this forum and someone had mentioned the price to replace a defective push button start system so i called him up and he agreed the price to be in the mid 3k.
Old 01-09-07, 06:29 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, let me clear this up. I mainly bought the ES330 for 2 reasons. First, I went to take a second test drive of the car i had agreed to purchase and during the test drive, i experienced the "transmission flare". I really didnt feel like going thru what some of the people here have been so i decided to wait. Secondly, when i went to the another dealership, I was given this great deal on a "certified pre-owned" 2006 ES330 with 10,000 miles for $25,000 dollars. So i took it after the test drive. Part of the reason, I got a great deal is because my dads friend happens to be a service advisor there and happened to catch me while i was negotiating(being stupid, i didnt even think of him while negotiating). He pulled some strings for me and got me this great price. We just started chit-chatting and he told me that he wouldnt have let me buy the ES350 if he knew about it because he sees a lot of them come back for one problem after another. He told me that he has personally worked on something like 23 es350 transmission problems and so far lexus has bought back 4 es350's from him. I was reading this forum and someone had mentioned the price to replace a defective push button start system so i called him up and he agreed the price to be in the mid 3k.
Somehow, I don't believe this story.....AT ALL!!
Especially these remarks:
We just started chit-chatting and he told me that he wouldnt have let me buy the ES350 if he knew about it because he sees a lot of them come back for one problem after another. He told me that he has personally worked on something like 23 es350 transmission problems and so far lexus has bought back 4 es350's from him. I was reading this forum and someone had mentioned the price to replace a defective push button start system so i called him up and he agreed the price to be in the mid 3k.
Old 01-09-07, 07:33 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amf1932
Somehow, I don't believe this story.....AT ALL!!
Especially these remarks:

Alan...,

Seems plausible to me that someone who worked on a Lexus daily as their job would express caution to someone they know when we ourselves suggested to people thinking of buying them......here use this pre-purchase checklist before signing, changing lately to more often suggested...wait till the 08's when the bugs are out, especially the transmission issue is resolved.

I found PHM's start failure thread, link below, that ended up with entire computer for the car as the culprit and those are not cheap by a long shot. Could not find the other thread where the cost of the main ECU was stated which might have been on GS forum but it was or is on here somewhere and it was up there in the thousands of dollars, certainly so if one key FOB is like 400 dollars or more. Note to ourselves, do not misplace a key FOB.

post #9

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+start+failure
Old 01-09-07, 08:19 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Alan...,

Seems plausible to me that someone who worked on a Lexus daily as their job would express caution to someone they know when we ourselves suggested to people thinking of buying them......here use this pre-purchase checklist before signing, changing lately to more often suggested...wait till the 08's when the bugs are out, especially the transmission issue is resolved.

I found PHM's start failure thread, link below, that ended up with entire computer for the car as the culprit and those are not cheap by a long shot. Could not find the other thread where the cost of the main ECU was stated which might have been on GS forum but it was or is on here somewhere and it was up there in the thousands of dollars, certainly so if one key FOB is like 400 dollars or more. Note to ourselves, do not misplace a key FOB.

post #9

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+start+failure
Since PHM's problem was back in September and hasn't surfaced again, it sounds like it was an isolated problem.
Old 01-09-07, 08:31 AM
e-Mel
Rookie

On that same thread dshahs420 says his service department quoted $1500 for an out of warranty starter replacement. Quite a difference in price from the 4K of the other dealer.

Quick Reply: ES sales, never been better