On The Fence...help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-07, 02:11 PM
ljt064
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On The Fence...help!

Hi All,

I've been looking at new cars for awhile now. My first test drive was the Lexus ES-350 and I loved it. Then I realized it has front wheel drive, and I'm concerned with its performance in the snow. I'd prefer not to jump up to the GS class and think the IS-350 seems small.

I've looked at the Infiniti G35X (AWD) and liked it, but thought it was smaller than the ES-350. Though its a great sporty ride and has AWD.

I also test drove the Camry and Avalon. The ES-350 is fair and away nicer than both of these vehicles.

I drove the Mercedes C-350 and C-280 and thought they were overpriced and under horse powered. If anything I liked the MB E-350 but this is not worth $56K.

So I think its between the Infiniti G35X and the Lexus ES-350. Does any one have experience in driving it in the snow. The Northeast has been luck and we haven't seen more than traces at this point. Anyone in CO who has one have any experiences to share?

Please help me.....

Thanks!

Louie
Old 01-04-07, 02:49 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ljt064
Hi All,

I've been looking at new cars for awhile now. My first test drive was the Lexus ES-350 and I loved it. Then I realized it has front wheel drive, and I'm concerned with its performance in the snow. I'd prefer not to jump up to the GS class and think the IS-350 seems small.

I've looked at the Infiniti G35X (AWD) and liked it, but thought it was smaller than the ES-350. Though its a great sporty ride and has AWD.

I also test drove the Camry and Avalon. The ES-350 is fair and away nicer than both of these vehicles.

I drove the Mercedes C-350 and C-280 and thought they were overpriced and under horse powered. If anything I liked the MB E-350 but this is not worth $56K.

So I think its between the Infiniti G35X and the Lexus ES-350. Does any one have experience in driving it in the snow. The Northeast has been luck and we haven't seen more than traces at this point. Anyone in CO who has one have any experiences to share?

Please help me.....

Thanks!

Louie
Hi Louie. I live in Illinois and we've been lucky too, with very little snow this year. I've owned quite a few FWD cars and have never had a problem in heavy snow. It might be different if we lived in a rural area though. The ES350, has traction control and VSC so I would think it would handle everything but the aftermath of a blizzard pretty good. If you live in a metro area that has good snow removal you'd be OK with FWD. If not, maybe AWD would be best. I'm sure you'll hear from others on this point too. Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-04-07, 02:53 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ljt064
Hi All,

Please help me.....

Thanks!

Louie
My 07 Clamry, the Toyota equivalent of the ES350 was/is awesome in the snow... TRAC/VSC help the car a lot. Accelleration is good, traction is great and you really feel in control of the car because the TRAC/VSC systems are calibrated to "not speak up unless spoken to."

It had been years since I was as confident as I was on the snow with the Clamry, and I had about 300 miles driving in crummy conditions on the hiway and the surface streets... Road rage even peaked a few times, because of the noobs with less confidence.

BTW - there was one thing I didn't like on the Clamry that may be different on the ES. The noise of a lot of slushy-snow beating the wheel wells and the bottom of the car... This was really noticable when we got 5-6 inches of that kind of snow where every shovel full weighs like 50lbs.
Old 01-04-07, 03:30 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in Northeast PA, no snow as yet but I will just drive the ES350 as needed. But, we have a Hemi Grand Cherokee as a back up too.
Did have a '98 Park Ave to use a few years ago (my departed fathers) and with fwd, traction control and newer all season tires, never had a problem in the snow.
Old 01-04-07, 04:28 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Front wheel drive cars handle better in the snow than rear wheel cars. The only thing I missed when living in upstate NY with a front wheel drive Camry was that I couldn't do doughnuts in the parking lot nearly as well.

There were a lot of hills in my area, and my FWD would climb them when other RWDs would be slip slidin' away three quarters of the way to the top.

An ES350 should be great in the snow.
Old 01-04-07, 04:56 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have sat in the new 2007 Infiniti G series and it is very small inside, compared to the ES 350. If you are looking for all wheel drive, but something the size of an ES, have you looked at the Acura RL or the Infiniti M series? The G series is probably comperable to the Lexus IS in size.
Old 01-04-07, 05:00 PM
Patric
Pole Position

Agreed; with the engine weight over the front wheels you will have better traction most often than a rear driver. Add some snow tires with studs if your state allows them and you are good to go.

Under extreme ice conditions shifting the trans to neutral when coming to a full stop takes the power off the drivetrain (this is the power that will allow the car to move forward when you are stopped after releasing the brake without applying throttle) and can make for a more controlled stop. This has no effect on vehicles with a manual transmission as the clutch is disengaged.

Pat
Old 01-04-07, 07:48 PM
tnedator
Driver

Originally Posted by MD350
I have sat in the new 2007 Infiniti G series and it is very small inside, compared to the ES 350. If you are looking for all wheel drive, but something the size of an ES, have you looked at the Acura RL or the Infiniti M series? The G series is probably comperable to the Lexus IS in size.
We test drove a G on the same day we test drove the ES, and the G is way more cramped, both in the driver and passenger seats, and especially in the rear seats. The G is probably a little bigger than the IS both up front and in the back, but it is closer to the IS than the ES.

My wife originally wanted AWD, after having driven a Subaru for 6 years, but since the IS was too small and underpowered with only the 2.5 liter engine available, I convinced her that since we get almost no snow, and she doesn't drive in it anyway, a FWD car was just fine.
Old 01-05-07, 10:07 AM
ljt064
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all for your posts. This makes me feel much more comfortable about purchasing the ES350. Now I just need to go and take the plung!!