ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

The NAV has teleported me!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-07 | 01:04 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Default The NAV has teleported me!

I was having a bad day yesterday. Got yelled at by the boss for a mistake that wasn't mine. Busy as hell, and a big headache....typical bad monday. It musta been the negative energy because when I got to my car on my way home, the NAV placed me about 1 mile west of where I actually was. I was traveling on Camden Dr., but the NAV says I was travelling on Wilshire. I had to rub my eyes and slap myself to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. I was like, man...this is wierd....where am I? I played with the display a bit, changed the screen, and when i got back, I was back to normal again. Has anyone ever had a sudden big location shift on their NAV? This can be scary if I were driving out of town!
Old 01-09-07 | 01:21 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kaius88
I was having a bad day yesterday. Got yelled at by the boss for a mistake that wasn't mine. Busy as hell, and a big headache....typical bad monday. It musta been the negative energy because when I got to my car on my way home, the NAV placed me about 1 mile west of where I actually was. I was traveling on Camden Dr., but the NAV says I was travelling on Wilshire. I had to rub my eyes and slap myself to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. I was like, man...this is wierd....where am I? I played with the display a bit, changed the screen, and when i got back, I was back to normal again. Has anyone ever had a sudden big location shift on their NAV? This can be scary if I were driving out of town!
It's possible you were on the correct road and with the correct road being displayed, it was just labeled wrong?

1 mile is a lot for an error, it should only be a couple hundred feet at most... try it again and if you have the same result, I think there's a way to report errors.
Old 01-09-07 | 02:14 PM
kingofire
Advanced

This used to happen to me on my 2004 Acura TL whenever i used to go inside a tunnel. The nav would be all over the place. After clearing the tunnel I would have to shut the car off and on again to have the Nave reset.
The question is were you inside a tunnel at all?
Old 01-09-07 | 02:27 PM
static
Driver

Check the current list of ES350 TSIB's on this forum. There is one with the vehicle displayed in wrong location.
Old 01-09-07 | 03:33 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

i was at the lowest floor of parking, but this never happened before. This was the first time I ever saw something like this... The streets were not labeled wrong... This is the same route i take to go home every day. I was heading north while nav says I was heading west.

Just read the TSIB. If this occurs a few more time, I'm going to go get the Updated DVDrom map. I hope it doesn't make the NAV less accurate.

Last edited by Kaius88; 01-09-07 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-09-07 | 05:28 PM
mattvds
Rookie

This has happened to me before. My nav got confused as to what road I was on, and as I continue to travel it continued me on the wrong road. Until, it thought I was like 2 miles away from where I was, and then it jumped me back to the correct location. Another time, it was confused by what direction I was facing.

Weird things like this have happen maybe 5-6 times over the past 6 months. It always corrects itself after a couple of minutes, and I am not too concerned about it.
Old 01-09-07 | 05:38 PM
psp
Pole Position

Whenever this happens head over to Pink's on Beverly and Melrose and get a chili dog. By the time you are back in the car your Nav system will be back to normal and you can tell your friends about the magical power of Pink's Chili Dogs.

Maybe is should be called Moon Shell Mica's Chili Dogs? Nah.
Old 01-09-07 | 06:00 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Ah ha.........This improper display of location on your screen is called, "Nav Flare"
Seriously though......This can happen because you lost triangulation of the satellites for awhile, possibly because of obstacles or weather conditions, but it should lock in properly in short order. You can tell if you're reading the satellites information by looking at the upper left hand corner of the nav screen. If you see the letters, GPS, then you know you're locked in.

P.S. There are other areas of ES350 problems, such as, engine noises....otherwise known as "motor flare", and body noises....otherwise known as "rattle flare". hehe
Old 01-09-07 | 06:07 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by amf1932
Ah ha.........This improper display of location on your screen is called, "Nav Flare"
Seriously though......This can happen because you lost triangulation of the satellites for awhile, possibly because of obstacles or weather conditions, but it should lock in properly in short order. You can tell if you're reading the satellites information by looking at the upper left hand corner of the nav screen. If you see the letters, GPS, then you know you're locked in.

P.S. There are other areas of ES350 problems, such as, engine noises....otherwise known as "motor flare", and body noises....otherwise known as "rattle flare". hehe
amf, you obviously have a flare for humor in your post. Otherwise known as a "funny flare".

Last edited by LexBob2; 01-09-07 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-09-07 | 07:29 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by amf1932

I get "rattle flare" every now and then, right in the drivers seat, it stinks too!

I have no idea what it is???

FWIW - my fist week or so with Navi has been interesting... I'm more in tune with a KLN-94 and slaved MFD, I found the car NAV irritating at first, now I just want it to do more!

Anyway, the unit I have (made by Alpine I think) surprisingly works in parking garages (so does the XM sort of) and has done really well at calculating new routes when I change my mind... I'll break it soon, just watch.

KLN-94 below...

Old 01-10-07 | 12:56 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

nav flare.

seriously, good one. is it copyrighted?
Old 01-10-07 | 12:13 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by psp
Whenever this happens head over to Pink's on Beverly and Melrose and get a chili dog. By the time you are back in the car your Nav system will be back to normal and you can tell your friends about the magical power of Pink's Chili Dogs.

Maybe is should be called Moon Shell Mica's Chili Dogs? Nah.
Love Pink's hot dogs. My office building is nice enough to host a party every summer and hires Pink's to provide unlimited hot dogs. Yes....all you can eat. The funny thing is that people from outside the building walk by and ask for free hot dogs too. I must say, even tho I'm not a hot dog fan, I'll make an exception and eat 3 chili dogs from Pink's.

Back on the topic... Interesting I get locked in even tho I am 4 floors underground in the parking lot. I'll consider it a NAV glitch of some sort, and won't worry about it for now. Gonna go get my free car wash and redeem my $25 Lexus gift certificate tonight. I wonder what costs under $25 at the dealership.
Old 01-10-07 | 02:14 PM
robobbi
Driver School Candidate

Default Gift certificate??

$25 Lexus gift certificate? From Lexus? From dealer? I got nothing from my dealer when I bought my car 5 weeks ago!
Old 01-10-07 | 03:25 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by robobbi
$25 Lexus gift certificate? From Lexus? From dealer? I got nothing from my dealer when I bought my car 5 weeks ago!
its from the Lexus of Glendale Dealership. They send me a gift basket a week after I bought the car. And then 2 movie tix for my birthday, and this gift certificate for christmas. These are little things that cost almost nothing.... They just want the customers to feel good. I dont think i'll ever feel 100% good after the loss I incurred from my MSM trade in. Oh well.
Old 01-12-07 | 02:32 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2
amf, you obviously have a flare for humor in your post. Otherwise known as a "funny flare".
It would seem that he has a "flair" for flares...LOL!!!!

Quick Reply: The NAV has teleported me!