ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Wind Noise - Part 3 --- Pics for DIY fix

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-07, 07:57 AM
djr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I went for a ride with the tech to show him the dash rattle, I mentioned the slight wind noise I have at > 50Mph. He listened to it and said there were others that were worse, but the opinion in the shop is that it is a turbulance caused by the positioning of the side mirror on the door. He thinks the wind is being pushed into the window by the mirror and its location was likely a last minute decision by the engineers that was not tested out well enough. He said that we will likely see a subtle change in design for the next model year that resolves the issue.
Old 03-14-07, 08:02 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djr
When I went for a ride with the tech to show him the dash rattle, I mentioned the slight wind noise I have at > 50Mph. He listened to it and said there were others that were worse, but the opinion in the shop is that it is a turbulance caused by the positioning of the side mirror on the door. He thinks the wind is being pushed into the window by the mirror and its location was likely a last minute decision by the engineers that was not tested out well enough. He said that we will likely see a subtle change in design for the next model year that resolves the issue.
He is right about varying degrees of it, at nuisance level to virtually, if not totally intolerable when present.
Old 03-14-07, 09:29 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
He is right about varying degrees of it, at nuisance level to virtually, if not totally intolerable when present.
Another way for them to offer the above "explanation" is by saying that other folks perhaps are a bit more/less "sensitive" (more "attuned"?) to hearing wind noise than other folks are...at least that's pretty much what the service manager at my dealer told me. IOW--he might as well had told me that it's perhaps because other people's hearing isn't probably as sharp as mine...
Old 03-14-07, 09:36 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Nice thread

Maybe Lexus will incorporate your fix as a new TSB
Old 03-14-07, 10:11 AM
djr
Driver School Candidate

It's really my wife's car & she says it is much quieter that her '02 ES300, so as long as she's happy with it....
(The Bluetooth, on the otherhand... )
Old 03-14-07, 10:19 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toneman
Another way for them to offer the above "explanation" is by saying that other folks perhaps are a bit more/less "sensitive" (more "attuned"?) to hearing wind noise than other folks are...at least that's pretty much what the service manager at my dealer told me. IOW--he might as well had told me that it's perhaps because other people's hearing isn't probably as sharp as mine...
That and even more strange is haul out another one which also has a wind noise problem and say see we compared it for you to another one, see that makes it ok...LOL

Here is what they do not realize, if they can and do rename it buffeting then they can hear it themselves, no? So are their ears too sensitive too

Seems they are pulling some of that type of nonsense on our LS owning members, they won't fall for it anymore than ES owners with this issue.
Old 03-17-07, 01:44 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

I found these from a site posted by Car Chat monitor,

for those with wind noise from window areas...

or knocking tapping sound

get ready to :

that in over 10 months we don't have one for our own

Wind noise TSIB
http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../ITB07-004.htm

Tapping noise TSIB
http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../ITB07-007.htm
Old 03-17-07, 04:20 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

I found these from a site posted by Car Chat monitor,

for those with wind noise from window areas...

or knocking tapping sound

get ready to :

that in over 10 months we don't have one for our own

Wind noise TSIB
http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../ITB07-004.htm

Tapping noise TSIB
http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownershi.../ITB07-007.htm
I've heard about the G35 wind noise bulletin...if only because my bro recently bought a G35 and had already taken it for the wind noise issue.
Old 03-17-07, 04:29 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah, some cars have worse wind noise, like my current loaner.

on my own car, the wind noise is slight, and when going 80mph on the freeway, the road/tire noise drowns out the wind noise almost completely.
Old 03-18-07, 05:57 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
yeah, some cars have worse wind noise, like my current loaner.

on my own car, the wind noise is slight, and when going 80mph on the freeway, the road/tire noise drowns out the wind noise almost completely.

The wind noise is all over the map from car to car as is engine noise level.

Looks like Infiniti takes such issues seriously in a redesigned or augmented model, does not tell people it's normal or rename it buffeting or tell people they have sensitive hearing.

The Infiniti wind noise diagram looks like a Club Lexus member team effort, combination of Wanderer and my own, that of other's, gasket effort plus additional work description static gave of going into door panel by his dealer taking initiative. Our members really could come up with a solution and a TSIB for this with access to one we could take apart under controlled setting.

Solving knocking or tapping noise and getting rid of it speaks for itself in comparison to being left with it claimed normal.
Old 03-18-07, 07:11 AM
brio
Driver School Candidate

Default Relentless wind noise

I've had most of the rattles removed and the car is starting to feel a little more Lexus-like. I have been told that a fix for the diesel noise at start up is in the works and that only those who have complained seriously will get it as it's very expensive to fix. The wind noise is another story. Yesterday, on the way to ski hill, a buddy remarked how smooth the ride is and the only problem is all the wind noise around the side windows. I still cannot imagine that others don't have it. My neighbor next door just got an LS460. He said he loves it. I asked him is there is anything he doesn't like. He said there is more wind noise than his LS430 especially around the door-mounted mirrors. He also said there is a ticking when you first start the car. This car in Canada was over $100,000 with all the taxes. Lexus is losing it.
Old 03-18-07, 07:42 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by brio
I've had most of the rattles removed and the car is starting to feel a little more Lexus-like. I have been told that a fix for the diesel noise at start up is in the works and that only those who have complained seriously will get it as it's very expensive to fix. The wind noise is another story. Yesterday, on the way to ski hill, a buddy remarked how smooth the ride is and the only problem is all the wind noise around the side windows. I still cannot imagine that others don't have it. My neighbor next door just got an LS460. He said he loves it. I asked him is there is anything he doesn't like. He said there is more wind noise than his LS430 especially around the door-mounted mirrors. He also said there is a ticking when you first start the car. This car in Canada was over $100,000 with all the taxes. Lexus is losing it.
bad design elements that are not thoroughly tested.

who told you about the diesel noise fix in the works?
If it is true that they'd only give the fix discriminatingly, then I love how lexus is covering its ***. I wonder what "complain seriously" means..... make you scream and shout and do the chicken dance?
Old 03-31-07, 06:24 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Just to try to keep topics within topics on topic

LS460 owners get an answer from Lexus Corp on their Wind Noise issues
Old 04-11-07, 06:13 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Another update from the LS group.

Dealer advises owner as to coming Lexus fix for LS460 wind noise.
Old 03-14-12, 07:32 PM
ckgs
Driver School Candidate

To revive an old thread....

I've been working to resolve wind noise on my 2008 ES, and have found that most (all?) of the noise is from leaks around the window glass. I put 1/8 inch weatherstrip under the window run (as outlined in this thread as the "shims"), along the top of the window and down the B pillar, and it made a HUGE difference, changing the noise from more of a roar to a rustle even at speed. I also had to install missing plugs under the car. With all these complete, the car is almost silent at highway speeds.

Quick Reply: Wind Noise - Part 3 --- Pics for DIY fix