ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

getting car back dirty after service

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-07, 08:31 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default getting car back dirty after service

Did you guys get your cars dirtied after service?

Arent they supposed to wear latex gloves and drape everything in paper and plastic?

I got black boot swipes on my door sill, boot kick marks on my front door, and the headliner has finger smudges, plus the grip handle thing above the door is all dirty.
Old 01-20-07, 08:36 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes - on the door sill and passenger\driver doors themselves. Sometimes vehicle not washed. One time leather had grease on it. My dealer definitely doesn't do the latex glove\plastic thing.
Old 01-21-07, 05:06 AM
RobF350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats nuts, I went in just to get the right center caps on the rims and they washed it, vacuumed it, and had the little tag hanging from the shifter saying it had been inspected.

Do you get the follow up call the next day as to the service?
Old 01-21-07, 06:19 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

I had always gotten my car back from service, be it Honda, Lexus, MB as clean or better than when I dropped it off.

In the case of the first ES350, it was the second dealer who noticed grease like hand prints on passenger seat edge to outside of car and on B pillar as though first dealer had someone attempt to use opposing force to wedge something. I had not noticed it before second dealer noticed it right away and said, more or less with no F in it but sentiment, WTF is that and why would they have needed to do that? LOL
Old 01-21-07, 09:25 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When we picked up our ES350, there was a black smear on the driver's side carpet, up in the far left corner, windshield wash fluid not full ( I added 1/2 gallon when I got home) and some shipping plastic on the driver side front window still hanging on. I pointed these out to our salesman in the delivery / new car orientation process. He drove the car to the service area and the carpet was cleaned and he pulled the plastic from the window. We were not impressed on his hyped delivery process that this Lexus dealership goes through before we pick up our car. We bought the Grand Cherokee from the same mega dealership, different salesman and everything to date is perfect.
Old 01-21-07, 10:08 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Yes, Took my car in for a car wash and when I drove it home I noticed the hood, sides, truck lid had big time swerals marks, totally covered but the UL top came through with out a mark.
Old 01-22-07, 06:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by osokuko
Yes, Took my car in for a car wash and when I drove it home I noticed the hood, sides, truck lid had big time swerals marks, totally covered but the UL top came through with out a mark.
I've had our car washed 3 or 4 times at the dealership (usually do it myself) and they've done a great job, both inside and out. We have a SGM and originally I was worried about swirls, but to date there are none. It's a new facility and they appear to have some good car washing equipment.
Old 01-22-07, 06:29 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by osokuko

oso,

To avoid swirls, take your car to a no touch car wash and for every one hand wash or one involving brushes at a car wash at least 6 no touch in between and you will have far fewer swirls on the paint job as a result.

Actually if you avoid others hand washing and avoid brush car washes where they touch you car and instead hand wash it yourself every 7th time, you may avoid them completely.
Old 01-22-07, 08:56 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
oso,

To avoid swirls, take your car to a no touch car wash and for every one hand wash or one involving brushes at a car wash at least 6 no touch in between and you will have far fewer swirls on the paint job as a result.

Actually if you avoid others hand washing and avoid brush car washes where they touch you car and instead hand wash it yourself every 7th time, you may avoid them completely.

How does your car get clean at a "no touch" wash if hands with washmitts don't touch the car?

The only way I avoid swirls is by washing the car myself.
Old 01-22-07, 09:27 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2007es350
How does your car get clean at a "no touch" wash if hands with washmitts don't touch the car?

The only way I avoid swirls is by washing the car myself.

With a no touch car wash, the machine applies a soap that soaks, then it will apply a wash solution, then rinse and then blow dry the car. No chance of rubbing the car with something that has grit on it that will scratch the paint surface or clearcoat.

The water sprayed is almost like a pressure washer for your car, though not as strong as a pressure washer you would use on a sidewalk or siding but along the same lines and it gets the car clean.

Then you only have to do it by hand every 7th time or so in case there is something a little more stubborn to get off.
Old 01-22-07, 10:31 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

With a no touch car wash, the machine applies a soap that soaks, then it will apply a wash solution, then rinse and then blow dry the car. No chance of rubbing the car with something that has grit on it that will scratch the paint surface or clearcoat.

The water sprayed is almost like a pressure washer for your car, though not as strong as a pressure washer you would use on a sidewalk or siding but along the same lines and it gets the car clean.

Then you only have to do it by hand every 7th time or so in case there is something a little more stubborn to get off.
You might want to ask what is used in the "no touch" car wash... In my experience, I found these to be chemical baths that eat the dirt from your car's finish. I wonder over time what these chemicals are doing to the finish?
Old 01-22-07, 10:34 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I use a touch-free wash that sounds just like your description. It does a great job unless the car is real dirty with road salt etc. I hustle home and finish drying the car off. They have a spot free rinse cycle so no water spotting before the car gets dried.
Old 01-22-07, 05:04 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I've had our car washed 3 or 4 times at the dealership (usually do it myself) and they've done a great job, both inside and out. We have a SGM and originally I was worried about swirls, but to date there are none. It's a new facility and they appear to have some good car washing equipment.
The incident was a bit of a trauma for me at the time due to it happen at the dealership. The swirls are deep into the clear coat like there was no water used in the washing just a brush, compound that with the grit from the Santa Ana winds the day before and the paint finish looks many years older now. But the car is being replaced due to this and many other issues, so it has be addressed. But I can tell you this the next time we have those Santa Ana winds and the car is covered with grit I’ll wash it my self. Other than that the Service Center I had been going to does a very good job and I will continue to take it there for the regular car wash as before.
Old 01-26-07, 06:36 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure your post is well intentioned, but I want to add my $0.02 here. I'm a car care nut, so I know more than I should about these matters.

No touch washes are a good LAST RESORT if you absolutely refuse to wash the car yourself. They use very strong chemicals, and will strip your paint of any protection - wax, sealant, whatever. If you must use them, please NEVER dry the car when you get it home. These washes aren't perfect, and if you dry the car afterwards, you're going to be grinding whatever is left into your finish.

Do yourself a favor and buy a good wash mitt, waffle weave microfiber towel, and car wash soap, and DIY. If it's winter and you have to get the crap off the car, use a touchless...otherwise, stay away from automatic car washes, unless you truly don't value what your car looks like long term.
Old 01-26-07, 06:53 PM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 15951
I'm sure your post is well intentioned, but I want to add my $0.02 here. I'm a car care nut, so I know more than I should about these matters.

No touch washes are a good LAST RESORT if you absolutely refuse to wash the car yourself. They use very strong chemicals, and will strip your paint of any protection - wax, sealant, whatever. If you must use them, please NEVER dry the car when you get it home. These washes aren't perfect, and if you dry the car afterwards, you're going to be grinding whatever is left into your finish.

Do yourself a favor and buy a good wash mitt, waffle weave microfiber towel, and car wash soap, and DIY. If it's winter and you have to get the crap off the car, use a touchless...otherwise, stay away from automatic car washes, unless you truly don't value what your car looks like long term.
spot on...no one touches my car but myself. I am such a car nut that i avoid valet parking too. Dont care how cold it is, but i still wash the car myself, it will never see the day of light in touchless, toothless, mindless or whatever less carwashes.

Quick Reply: getting car back dirty after service