ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Es350 Vs. Squirrel-- Brake Stutter

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-07, 07:28 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Es350 Vs. Squirrel-- Brake Stutter

I have noticed evolution has not been kind to squirrels, they never seem to have learned not to run right out in front of a vehicle and they have had dozens of generations for evolution to take hold and clue in not to since cars came on the scene so many decades ago.

This morning, in order to avoid squashing a squirrel, I had to really hit the brakes hard and afterward, after missing the squirrel, I noticed they stuttered, for lack of better description, as they let loose. Also the first stop within less than a mile after that less so but still a slight stutter to them and it is now gone. Do these brakes reset themselves after something like that and during the time between severe brake and a stop or two do the resetting?

For anyone prone to imagine their car acquires things posted by others, this is not about that.

I do think this is related to the fact I really had to hit them hard and they do begin to equalize themselves in some fashion right after, but would appreciate anyone who knows this is so to add input. They are working fine now without the stutter to them at all as a result of several additional stop/starts this am.
Old 01-27-07, 08:18 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

What you're describing, sounds like chatter from the anti-lock braking system. Normally tho, the chatter doesn't continue with the next stop, unless activated again. When I get a new car with ABS, I always try them out after our first snow and ice of the season to see how they work and what they sound like, so I know what to expect of them when needed. In your area you'd probably have to wait until after a heavy rain to get in an out of the way location and mash the brakes.
Old 01-27-07, 08:41 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Just spoke to dealer service about it and after he had firmly established this was not a typical stop, but rather an extremely rapid stop, deemed it completely normal. It is only not normal if it does this when just driving around and adding brake for a normal stop, each and every stop.

I also do not think I helped matters by putting my left foot on brake to be prepared for the next squirrel in that general area before the stop sign just further down the road.

I did better explaining stutter to him, said it was as if in older car with brake drums that needed to be turned and evened out and you could feel that uneveness for a moment.
Old 01-27-07, 09:49 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
What you're describing, sounds like chatter from the anti-lock braking system. Normally tho, the chatter doesn't continue with the next stop, unless activated again. When I get a new car with ABS, I always try them out after our first snow and ice of the season to see how they work and what they sound like, so I know what to expect of them when needed. In your area you'd probably have to wait until after a heavy rain to get in an out of the way location and mash the brakes.

Yes, he did explain it related to ABS, and that it is totally normal under extreme stopping conditions.
Old 01-27-07, 03:29 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

by "stutter", do you mean vibration, trembling, or shake?

Cuz I noticed that on my way home today. I did a hard brake, but my car was only going 10mph. Some guy was trying to Uturn in front of me, so i floored the brake. I could feel the shake. But i wouldn't call it an "extreme" condition.
Old 01-27-07, 03:47 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

okay, i think what you felt were all of the "brake technology" helping you.

whether it was abs, ecb, and ebd, it was probably the computers working. no need to worry.