ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 Review: New York Times

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-07, 02:40 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ES350 Review: New York Times

Not the most complimentary review of the ES350, but PsychDoc especially might appreciate the comments concerning the push-button start feature.

Allow me a diatribe, however, against the trendy push-button keyless ignition. While it’s nice to have the car automatically unlock as you approach, I still appreciate a conventional ignition switch inside. I don’t particularly care whether I push a button or turn a key to start a car; I just want to know where my keys are.
Luckily, the ES 350 features a 1980s-vintage anachronism that comes in handy in this respect: The 14-speaker Mark Levinson sound system inexplicably includes a tape deck. Since nobody has played a cassette since around 1991, the tape slot makes an excellent place to stash the key fob while you’re driving.
Old 01-27-07, 03:14 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

His last comment cracked me up: "What to drive if you don’t like driving."
Old 01-28-07, 05:28 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexucan
Not the most complimentary review of the ES350, but PsychDoc especially might appreciate the comments concerning the push-button start feature.
Hehe

Finally, someone else who seems to share my world view. And he got it exactly right too. The keyless entry is great. It's the keyless start that's a major PIA. Quite frankly, except for his oblique knock at the inclusion of a tape player (I love it as I listen to Howard Stern on tape) I can't find one thing about that review to disagree with.

Great review. Dead on.

The ES350 is a nice appliance.

As with most appliances, they don't excite the soul.
Old 01-28-07, 06:18 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
I love my coffee maker.
Old 01-28-07, 06:23 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
Hehe

Finally, someone else who seems to share my world view. And he got it exactly right too. The keyless entry is great. It's the keyless start that's a major PIA. Quite frankly, except for his oblique knock at the inclusion of a tape player (I love it as I listen to Howard Stern on tape) I can't find one thing about that review to disagree with.

Great review. Dead on.

The ES350 is a nice appliance.

I'm surprised the push button start elicits negative emotions. I leave my fob in my pocket...I approach my IS350, touch the handle, and it unlocks. I get in, depress the brake pedal, press a simple button, and the car starts. I never have to wonder where to put my keys, because they never leave my pocket.

I think the fact that the review complains only about the (flawlessly working) push button start and the existence of a tape deck says a LOT about the car. He uses a lot of words to explain how unengaging he finds the car, but you might notice he never says anything negative about the engine, fit and finish, design, interior materials, or most anything else that comes up in other automotive reviews.

There are so few negative things to say about the actual CAR that he had to write an entire review based on his emotions. To me, that says a hell of a lot of positive things about the car. When I start caring more about how the journalist "feels" than the objective, tangible, measurable things about the car (read: quality), then I'll buy a different car. Until then, I'll arrive on time and relaxed while everyone else is totally thrilled while they wait for a tow.
Old 01-28-07, 07:13 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I with you 15951 on the key fob. Never having to remove the key from my pocket is my favorite feature. As for the review, this statement had me rolling:

"and the ES 350 (with front-wheel drive) for people who secretly want a Buick."

You think?
Old 01-28-07, 09:15 AM
NGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Macklin
I with you 15951 on the key fob. Never having to remove the key from my pocket is my favorite feature. :
Agree. My only dislike is the size of the key fob...it is heavy and bulges pockets. Surely there is inexpensive, dependable and durable technology that can make this device smaller and lighter such as membrane controls and powered by "solar type panels" similar to the ones on wafer thin calculators. I have owned one of these for over 15 years and it still works!
Old 01-28-07, 09:40 AM
GumboChief
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 15951
When I start caring more about how the journalist "feels" than the objective, tangible, measurable things about the car (read: quality), then I'll buy a different car.
Every review is about feelings. Measurable things come from a spec sheet.
Old 01-28-07, 03:17 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GumboChief
Every review is about feelings. Measurable things come from a spec sheet.
I agree, but there is virtually nothing tangible in this review on which to base a decision. The car is quiet and smooth, which translates in auto journalist speak to "isolated and uninvolving". I bought an IS350 because I do like a bit more "involvement", but I have to say, for anyone using their car for any real distances, the ES350 has to be a comfortable car.

Most of us aren't carving canyons, autocrossing, or running 1/4 miles at the local track on the weekend. Auto journalists seem to really write for enthusiasts only, and seem to completely forget about the other 98% that just want a nice reliable car that doesn't leave them stranded. There are a lot of positive things to say about the ES, but they're being overlooked in favor of comparing all cars to BMW.

The best example I've seen of this stupidity was a minivan comparo review that was in an auto mag last year. They compared four minivans, and spent an inordinate time talking about how well (or poorly) the minivans cornered, accelerated, etc. I wonder how many people in the market for a minivan flog them on a test drive to make sure they stay flat in a corner? The answer is very near to zero.

There sure are a lot of ES300/30/50s out on the road. To me, that speaks for itself.
Old 01-28-07, 03:23 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

I agree, but there is virtually nothing tangible in this review on which to base a decision. The car is quiet and smooth, which translates in auto journalist speak to "isolated and uninvolving". I bought an IS350 because I do like a bit more "involvement", but I have to say, for anyone using their car for any real distances, the ES350 has to be a comfortable car.

Most of us aren't carving canyons, autocrossing, or running 1/4 miles at the local track on the weekend. Auto journalists seem to really write for enthusiasts only, and seem to completely forget about the other 98% that just want a nice reliable car that doesn't leave them stranded. There are a lot of positive things to say about the ES, but they're being overlooked in favor of comparing all cars to BMW.

The best example I've seen of this stupidity was a minivan comparo review that was in an auto mag last year. They compared four minivans, and spent an inordinate time talking about how well (or poorly) the minivans cornered, accelerated, etc. I wonder how many people in the market for a minivan flog them on a test drive to make sure they stay flat in a corner? The answer is very near to zero.

There sure are a lot of ES300/30/50s out on the road. To me, that speaks for itself.
Very well said!
Old 01-28-07, 03:57 PM
RobF350
Driver

like its a big secret that the ES is a tool to get to point a to point b.

I always thought my last lexus and this one to be boring, but then again what not boring in the price range? a Mustang?
Im going to work, not the race track.

the keyless is great too, why do you need to "know" where your keys are?
if your that absent minded velcro it to the dash when you drive.
Old 01-28-07, 04:28 PM
OAKPLANK
Rookie

One thing is for sure....if your driving the car, your key is with you.
Either the key is in your pocket/purse or in the car. I would not consider that as a misplaced key. That little compartment, just left of the steering on the lower part of the dash was made just for that (in my opinion). Put it there whenever you enter and it will be waiting for you to retrieve it when you leave the car.
Old 01-28-07, 05:50 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. I wanted a car to drive daily in comfort, take my family to the mall and on trips, and to take the occasional business coworker/customer out in style. The ES delivers in that regard. Too many journalist automatically think every car should do all things. When I want to carve canyons and become involved with my driving, I take my S2000 out!

Pete
Old 01-28-07, 06:20 PM
GumboChief
Driver School Candidate

Ok. Your following statements I can agree with.
I also want a smooth ride, and could not care less about racing seats.

As a student of history though, nothing irks me more than when someone says, "give me your unbiased opinion."

There simply is no such thing.
As a reviewer, even a "simple" statement like, "the car accelerates well," is inherently biased.
Compared to what? A Geo Metro, or a Porsche 911?

That was my only point.

Old 01-29-07, 06:50 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

I'm surprised the push button start elicits negative emotions. I leave my fob in my pocket...I approach my IS350, touch the handle, and it unlocks. I get in, depress the brake pedal, press a simple button, and the car starts. I never have to wonder where to put my keys, because they never leave my pocket.

I think the fact that the review complains only about the (flawlessly working) push button start and the existence of a tape deck says a LOT about the car. He uses a lot of words to explain how unengaging he finds the car, but you might notice he never says anything negative about the engine, fit and finish, design, interior materials, or most anything else that comes up in other automotive reviews.

There are so few negative things to say about the actual CAR that he had to write an entire review based on his emotions. To me, that says a hell of a lot of positive things about the car. When I start caring more about how the journalist "feels" than the objective, tangible, measurable things about the car (read: quality), then I'll buy a different car. Until then, I'll arrive on time and relaxed while everyone else is totally thrilled while they wait for a tow.
OK, let me help you a little bit.

"Quiet?"....I think not. The engine clatter is unbelievably loud and disquieting. Just listen to the quiet hum of the ES300 and compare it to the diesel like sounds coming from under the hood of the ES350.

"Driving?" Again, NOT!!! Try taking a 30° sweeper turn at over 35 miles an hour. The puny tires feel like they're about to shred, the car feels like it wants to plow straight ahead, and the body lean feels like the Titanic.

"Transmission linkage?" All I can say is BWHAHAHAHAHAHA. What linkage? You put your foot on the gas and settle down to wait until the dreadful "throttle by wire" disaster sends a memo to the tranny that it might actually be about time to motivate the car. A few seconds later you're walloped in the back by a big and unwanted thrust of accelleration. Reminds me of my Volvo 850 turbo. And things get even worse (MUCH worse) when you accelerate from a rolling start. The accelerator in this car should just have a big "?" painted on it because you never know exactly what you're going to get. Have any of you ever floored it while driving around 50mph (like to get around another driver)? It's like an episode of "Deal or No Deal." Who knows how long it's going to take before the car finally gets the message that it's time to get going. 1 second? 3 seconds? It's anyone's guess.

Interior appointments? What interior appointments? The passenger side of the dash is a wasteland. Cold and sterile. The car cries out for a strip of wood over the passenger side dash. What were they thinking here? Bad place to cut costs. What does a strip of wood cost anyway?

Steering? Vague and terribly imprecise. And you feel every road imperfection through the steering wheel without "feeling the road." Nice trick Lexus. Design in all the negatives and none of the positives.

Brakes? Spongy and, again, imprecise. They don't "hit" the way they're supposed to when you apply a brake.

Positives? Once the engine and tranny sign an armistace and cease hostilities the engine has decent straight ahead power and gas mileage for such a powerful powerplant is awesome (in day to day driving around the NYC/Long Island area I'm averaging around 23mpg on regular). The nav system is superb and leaves the Germans in the dust. They should be ashamed of themselves at this point not to have touch screen systems yet. Christ, you can still drop close to $100k on a M-B S550 and still have to input information from a wheel!!! Why don't they throw in a turntable for an audio system? Talk about archaic! The backup camera is nice and a much needed feature in view of the terrible rearward visibility.

Seat warmers/ventillation controls? Their placement is so bad as to be almost bizarre. Tucked away underneath the central consol's front? You need a search party to find them. Talk about an "accident waiting to happen"!!!

Exterior styling? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...way too similar to it's plebian Camry bretheren. Huge side slab doors cry out for something to break up the uninterrupted expanse of steel.

OK guys, flame away!

;-)

Quick Reply: ES350 Review: New York Times