ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350
View Poll Results: How happy are you with your ES350 interior?
Excellent - First rate materials. Fantastic build quality.
22.78%
Above Average - Good material choices. High level of build quality.
45.57%
Average - Material choices are OK. Build quality is the same as other brands.
20.25%
Below Average - Some not so good material choices. Possibly suspect build quality.
10.13%
Poor - Inferior material choices. Subpar build quality.
1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

ES350 Interior Build and Quality poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-07, 04:47 AM
terryes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This poll feels like someone voting in a Beauty Pagent with only ONE contestant.
Old 01-30-07, 05:10 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by terryes
This poll feels like someone voting in a Beauty Pagent with only ONE contestant.

Are you saying she could have a glass eye and a wooden chin and still win?
Old 01-30-07, 06:25 AM
terryes
Driver School Candidate

If all her other parts work ----- YES
Old 01-30-07, 06:31 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by terryes
If all her other parts work ----- YES

LOL, I thought so.

I had a young lady who used to always visit me at my business...picture Claudia Schiffer showing up several times weekly to go to lunch or visit and hang out to give you an idea along with similar playfull personality....one of the vendors stopped me and said, "that woman could have a glass eye and wooden chin and still be a perfect 10."
Old 01-31-07, 05:24 AM
tnedator
Driver

Having been in BMW's, Cadilacs, MBs, Audis and then a variety of standard Ford, Dodge, Chevy varieties, I think it would be hard to classify they ES350 as any worse than above average.
Old 01-31-07, 07:07 PM
brio
Driver School Candidate

Default Here's my feedback

Overall look and feel are very good but:
Dashboard rattles
Lighted gauges look like many other cars - Cadillac for example
Map Light, Homelink impossible to find at night and not so easy during the day
Interior lighting is too moody. Rear reading lamps are a joke and have no rear passenger switch!
Carpet is not very dense
Speaker fabric on doors will deteriorate
Console arm rest is too hard
Old 02-01-07, 04:34 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by brio
Console arm rest is too hard
plus, that arm rest will creak badly if it hasn't already. does it in mine, and older loaner es350's.
Old 02-02-07, 11:42 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dunnojack
plus, that arm rest will creak badly if it hasn't already. does it in mine, and older loaner es350's.
When you say creak, do you mean the front or rear of the console?

I really like these polls. It's kind of cool to get an average view from everyone.
Old 02-03-07, 05:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The interior hardware quality was noticeably better in the ES330...most of the ES350's interior pieces have a thinner, less substantial feel. In addition, the cost-cutters were obviously at work when it came to the wood trim as well......the ES330 had superb wood quality all across the dash, upper steering wheel, console, and on all four door panels. The ES350 has it only on the forward console, steering wheel, and four small pieces on each of the door arm rests....a joke compared to the old car. In addition, though it is not directly interior-related, the more aggressive tires and stiffer suspension on the ES350 ( which was NOT needed ), together with the poorer build quality and worse fit-and-finish of the new interior, combine to cause more interior rattles on the new car...this is because the stiffer underpinnings now transmit more road shock to the interior that was the case in the past, and make the parts work loose.

However, to be fair, ONE great thing WAS kept with the new interior....the extremely low noise level of the old car (other than the new car's rattles ) .

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-03-07 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-04-07, 12:35 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

mmarshall - thanks for joining us on the ES350 forum in talking about our cars. I really like your reviews over at Car Talk. I should stop by there and see if you've reviewed the S80 yet.

I was at the Volvo dealer today and spent some time in the new S80. Sure the interior looks 'nicer' than the old one, but the materials just seemed cheaper. The dash console in the centre is cluttered now, and the whole dash if boring and 'flat' going left to right. The doors have this cheap looking design, with some hard plastic at the top. It looks like a Ford now on the inside. I'm driving a rental Ford Five Hundred this week and it has the same 'flat' dash running left to right, and the door design is very similar to the new S80's.

The new S80 looks nicer on the inside from a design perspective. The material choice isn't great though. I think the older car had better materials.

How does this relate to the ES interior? The new ES interior has a new design and looks nice. But IMO the interior grade of materials has been lessened compared to the ES330. So the ES350 has a nicer design, but the ES330 had better materials.

I think this might be the new reality with car manufacturers. Nicer looking design, cheaper inside materials. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how the new ES uses premium carpet
Old 02-04-07, 03:08 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderer99
I think this might be the new reality with car manufacturers. Nicer looking design, cheaper inside materials. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how the new ES uses premium carpet
horrible carpet. you can see patches of carpet lining between the carpet fibers.

Does anyone have black carpet? How does that look? Does it help hide the cheap thin appearance?

The plastics are thin. I bet there's 50% less plastic. I can push down the plastic with slight pressure, whereas i couldn't in the last es300.

Originally Posted by wanderer99
When you say creak, do you mean the front or rear of the console?
Just lean on the armrest, and it will creak. so it's not really the rear end.
Old 02-04-07, 05:27 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

horrible carpet. you can see patches of carpet lining between the carpet fibers.

Does anyone have black carpet? How does that look? Does it help hide the cheap thin appearance?

The plastics are thin. I bet there's 50% less plastic. I can push down the plastic with slight pressure, whereas i couldn't in the last es300.

These things are real pieces of junk! Why did we ever buy the car??
Old 02-04-07, 06:32 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Yes I have black carpet and it hides the more thinness better.
Old 02-05-07, 05:45 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Mine does not creak when leaning on it, maybe something is not tightened on your armrest.
Old 02-05-07, 11:09 AM
static
Driver

Freezing **** cold in NH this morning and my ES started creaking above or at the very top of the center ac vents. I can push the vent straight in and make it stop, briefly.

Will it stop when it warms up?

Quick Reply: ES350 Interior Build and Quality poll