ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350
View Poll Results: How happy are you with your ES350 interior?
Excellent - First rate materials. Fantastic build quality.
22.78%
Above Average - Good material choices. High level of build quality.
45.57%
Average - Material choices are OK. Build quality is the same as other brands.
20.25%
Below Average - Some not so good material choices. Possibly suspect build quality.
10.13%
Poor - Inferior material choices. Subpar build quality.
1.27%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

ES350 Interior Build and Quality poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-07, 04:03 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ES350 Interior Build and Quality poll

How happy are you with your ES350 interior? Many of us have had our cars for some time now and probably have opinions. This is an overall satisfaction rating to let everyone know what we think of our ES350 interior.

Vote and then post some of the things you like and dislike about the interior.
Old 01-28-07, 04:27 PM
1seeker1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a little less than 2000 miles. So far, not rattles or squeeks. However, the fit of the back carpet is terrible. My carpet does not squeek unless you put a lot of pressure on just the right spot, and even then, its not near the level of the post with the video. I noticed the loose fitting carpet when I picked up the car and asked to see another ES 350, which suffered from the same condition. I therefore did not make an issue of it. Otherwise, my car feels solid going over bumps and I have no complaints. Time will tell. Above average for me overall at this point.

The transmission is a whole other issue...
Old 01-28-07, 04:58 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

definitely 2 steps down from the 2003 es300. If you haven't compared it, you'd probably vote a little higher.

average quality material at best. The fit is still on par with the last generation, though I found a few loose/flimsy plastics due to bad design.

the es300 had a nice slick feel to the plastics.
the es350 plastics feel rough and thin.

You're not gonna find much at 2000 miles.

The carpet is definitely grade C, and sloppily put in. And like you said, there is a loose bulge of carpet right beneath the rear seat bench.

The rear center carpet squeak is easily fixable at your local dealership. They'll insulate it so that the parts don't rub and squeak.
Old 01-28-07, 05:19 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Here are some pics of the es300 carpet fit and finish.
Notice how tightly the carpet fits onto the frame below, and even below the bench.
and notice how consistent the fibers are.
Now look at your own 350. Makes the es350 look like garbage.

click to zoom

Old 01-28-07, 05:33 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am new to this class of vehicle so I cannot compare it to earlier models, so in that regard dunnojack might be right. I find the interior very nicely trimmed and above average. The leather very soft and comfortable (Ultra model), the lighting is classy, and I have no squeaks or rattles. Although it is very much a personal preference, I would have preferred a bit more wood trim.

Pete
Old 01-28-07, 05:50 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

I like the instrument panel if that qualifies under interior, even though they are instrument guages, esp. at night and the color coordination offered of my interior, dash color to pillar, seats to carpet color etc..

The positioning of the carpet in the back needs improvement, but I don't spend any time back there so it's not too significant but obviously could be better done.

I did NOT like the use of Styrofoam like material to build out the area back there but even it can be dealt with it seems as to odd noises it makes.

And the headliner could use more insulation in general.
Old 01-28-07, 05:55 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

For me it's:
+ premium leather on seats.
+ Very good rear seat comfort. Front seats are good.
+ wood steering wheel and nicely designed and integrated buttons (compare it to the RX!!)
+ console\dash design and fit.
+ speaker grille material in doors - I like it!
- carpet. could it possibly get any thinner..
- doors rather bland oasis of plastic.
- front metal speaker grilles and dash don't align that well.
- some hard surfaces, feels harder than ES300\330 in places.
- rattles, rattles, rattles!
- leaking B pillar in seatbelt area.
- headroom tight.
- more wood needed.
Old 01-28-07, 05:57 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dunnojack
Here are some pics of the es300 carpet fit and finish.
Notice how tightly the carpet fits onto the frame below, and even below the bench.
and notice how consistent the fibers are.
Now look at your own 350. Makes the es350 look like garbage.
Those pics do show a really precision job of fit and finish. If I had to judge that carpet on the appearance of those photos, I'd give it an A+.
Old 01-28-07, 06:04 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wanderer99
- leaking B pillar in seatbelt area.
Linda Blair limited edition model, she oozed stuff too in the movie

Seriously, that pic you posted, I'd get that looked at right away something is very wrong there where the important belts are located, though given the other issues on your car, it may be bottom of the list to get looked at.
Old 01-29-07, 12:23 AM
savon
Rookie

This should have been two separate polls. Material quality and build quality. IMO, material used in dashboard, door panels, and leather seats are very good quality, carpets look like a cheap material. It was the first thing I noticed when I sat in es350 in dealership for the first time. My toyota camry has much more better quality carpet (which is made in U.S.). Interior build quality is below average. A brand new car shouldn't have any rattles or interior noise. IMO, lexus (toyota) is on slippery slope. They have introduced 4 new models in last two years, all of them have dashboard rattles or noise which they had to issue a TSB. You would think they should have solved the problem by now. It looks like they chose not to. Why bother fixing or improving when sales are going up. With all these said, I still like my car. I drove at 100mph few days ago, I felt like I am driving 60mph. It is much more quieter than my brother's 01 es300 which I was in on the same road and the same day.
Old 01-29-07, 07:04 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

I hear you regarding the two individual polls. I decided to keep it together as one poll because if it was broken down to interior materials alone, you'd still be torn on your choice given the carpet (bad) vs the leather (good). That's why I posted my + and - points and gave an overall rating.

So this is just an overall rating on the interior in general. There is good, there is bad, but it's your overall impression and satisfaction with it.
Old 01-29-07, 02:41 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

yeah, the carpet isn't even worthy to put into a nissan sentra. too bad. I'm afraid to use the vacuum cleaner because it leaves uneven bumps and marks and looks like the fibers will fall out.

How much did lexus save on the carpet? like $50? .....

Then again, what can you get for $30000-35000? I don't like the acura TL's dated look, and you won't get real leather in a bmw or benz for that price.
Old 01-29-07, 04:20 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dunnojack
yeah, the carpet isn't even worthy to put into a nissan sentra. too bad. I'm afraid to use the vacuum cleaner because it leaves uneven bumps and marks and looks like the fibers will fall out.

How much did lexus save on the carpet? like $50? .....

Then again, what can you get for $30000-35000? I don't like the acura TL's dated look, and you won't get real leather in a bmw or benz for that price.
Funny you should ask what can you get for 35K. Been thinking about that myself. Been thinking about trading in the ES in 2 years for the revamp 10 Avalon with probably a much better NAV and other updated stuff – like better carpet, seats, lots of wood look trim, who care about 1/32 real wood anyway, better transmission, 18” wheels ……..Probably won’t cost an arm and a leg to trade down and get more.
Old 01-29-07, 04:24 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by osokuko
Funny you should ask what can you get for 35K. Been thinking about that myself. Been thinking about trading in the ES in 2 years for the revamp 10 Avalon with probably a much better NAV and other updated stuff – like better carpet, seats, lots of wood look trim, who care about 1/32 real wood anyway, better transmission, 18” wheels ……..Probably won’t cost an arm and a leg to trade down and get more.
The Avalon is a sweet car. Looks good too and has more room.
Old 01-29-07, 11:34 PM
MR.FG
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Materials are not bad, just different , I have rattles so it get a failing grade on interior quality.

Quick Reply: ES350 Interior Build and Quality poll