ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Will Lexus Ever Design A Tranny And Engine That Act Like They Know One Another?...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-07, 07:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Pearl, Mmarsh,

We have many members who actually own the ES350 report one or more problems with their car, in fact currently less than 1/3rd report receiving their vehicle at delivery without a problem, more than 2/3rd report problems. Pearl, yes we have polled and find below the results, the transmission slipping is affecting a lot of owners, more revealing is the 2nd replacement transmissions failing for many.
I'm not disagreeing. I know the new ES has some problems, and IMO is poorly designed. I went into that in detail when I reviewed it last year....I found the car a disappointment in several areas...but the tranny in my test car was fine.
You mention members who actually OWN one. One of the reasons I do NOT own an ES350 is the experience I had reviewing it, especially compared to the superb ES330. IMO, Lexus messed the new ES up in several ways......tires, suspension, interior build quality, interior plushness, and general overall hardware.
Old 02-02-07, 07:44 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not disagreeing. I know the new ES has some problems, and IMO is poorly designed. I went into that in detail when I reviewed it last year....I found the car a disappointment in several areas...but the tranny in my test car was fine.
You mention members who actually OWN one. One of the reasons I do NOT own an ES350 is the experience I had reviewing it, especially compared to the superb ES330. IMO, Lexus messed the new ES up in several ways......tires, suspension, interior build quality, interior plushness, and general overall hardware.

I remember reading your comments back when and as a result of your observations then and new knowledge now from poll results of owners here on this forum you would be a great source to offer psychdoc and others an opinion of just how he should handle his observation of hesitation of the transmission. I suggested he report it to service manager, what would you suggest he do or can he do if anything beyond that?
Old 02-02-07, 07:49 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
. IMO, Lexus messed the new ES up in several ways......tires, suspension, interior build quality, interior plushness, and general overall hardware.
really? I didn't see that at all. my whole family loved the ES350 loaner I had.
I thought is was a much nicer car than the 330. handled better, faster, looks better, more ergonomic interior, s-mode trans...IMO, the 350 is a much better car than the ES330, they just need to work the bugs out.

btw-I should have another loaner Tuesday. I'll gladly give an honest report on that one too.
Old 02-02-07, 07:53 AM
909dude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
they will fix it when it breaks. if something only acts up sometimes, it's hard to fix a problem that's not apparent at the time the tech checks it out.

all I'm saying is you guys have 4 years of bumper to bumper warranty and up to 6 years/70k miles to get it fixed for free. don't sweat it.
I thought the same thing with all 4 of my Lexus purchases. The dull reality was that Lexus failed miserably with my 5 speed trans on my 02 ES300. The dealer and corporate customer no-service threw up their collective hands, basically telling me that the trans is as good as it's going to get. Obviously the word is out because the dealer doesn't even want it back as a trade in, and their lot is full of used ES300/330's. The bottom line is I got stuck with a lemon that totally lost its market value.

History does have a habit of repeating itself. If I were an ES350 owner, I would be asking myself what will happen down the road when Lexus can't figure out a cost effective fix for the current transmission trouble.
Old 02-02-07, 07:56 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=236162
View Poll Results: Multiple Choice: What problems do you have with your 2007 ES350?
Transmission shift flaring 37 26.81%
Cold engine start noise 27 19.57%
Wind noise 35 25.36%
Interior rattles 35 25.36%
Voice Recognition for climate control 30 21.74%
I have none of the problems listed above 42 30.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 138.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=250652
View Poll Results: Please indicate your ES350 transmission problem, concern by build month
Transmission Shift Flare Requiring Service 10 28.57%
Transmission seems erratic at times with a shift flare now and then, will observe for now 9 25.71%
02/06 Build 1 2.86%
03/06 Build 1 2.86%
04/06 Build 4 11.43%
05/06 Build 5 14.29%
06/06 Build 2 5.71%
07/06 Build 3 8.57%
08/06 Build 7 20.00%
09/06 Build 5 14.29%
10/06 Build 3 8.57%
11/06 Build 1 2.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35.

So have all these people gone to Lexus Corporate and addressed there problems? Though many dealerships are different (different owners, different ways of handling customer complaints, problems etc), Lexus Corporate seems to be more open to problems (logging all complaints nad hopefully issuing fixes). IMO, if more voices are heard at the corporate level and not just at your local dealership, then maybe the shift flair problem can finally be resolved.

How many TSB's have been issued for the shift flair problem (and others) since May 06?
Old 02-02-07, 08:39 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFerg
So have all these people gone to Lexus Corporate and addressed there problems? Though many dealerships are different (different owners, different ways of handling customer complaints, problems etc), Lexus Corporate seems to be more open to problems (logging all complaints nad hopefully issuing fixes). IMO, if more voices are heard at the corporate level and not just at your local dealership, then maybe the shift flair problem can finally be resolved.

How many TSB's have been issued for the shift flair problem (and others) since May 06?
GFerg...

I believe Lexus is at least aware of this from tracking service data which they do and MD came up with the idea of actually calling customer service on this issue and other issues even if the trans flare was not present.

I agree with you, more heard, better results including on psychdoc's issue of hesitation not related to the flare/slipping as maybe Lexus does not even realize the ES350 has the hesitation as the prior years models thinking they had that licked..
Old 02-02-07, 09:43 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had no idea transmission issues have been going on for the length of time they have per AMF, others.

I missed them it seems as my last ES before this one was a 99 ES300 and the only time it did anything differently was when I moved and had changed driving conditions and they reflashed it and no problem.

I am getting more than my share in 07 model though, to make up for lost time it seems.
I didn't feel there was a problem accelerating in the 99 ES we had either. I have driven other models and know what you guys are talking about. Looks like the 99 model was an exception. My wife says she trained it to provide the pick-up. She says that about all her cars.
Old 02-02-07, 09:43 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

maybe Lexus does not even realize the ES350 has the hesitation as the prior years models thinking they had that licked..
I can tell you that the trans hesitation from a stop was not there on my loaner, and I used to notice it bigtime in the 300/330. In the prior gen,if you floored it from a stop it would sit there for a second, then take off violently.
Old 02-02-07, 09:48 AM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckb
I can tell you that the trans hesitation from a stop was not there on my loaner, and I used to notice it bigtime in the 300/330. In the prior gen,if you floored it from a stop it would sit there for a second, then take off violently.
What you are describing is a feature in many cars today. In order to save fuel, car manufacturers have the auto tranny go into neutral at stop lights.

If you are not too quick to take off there is no issue.

A lot of the programming that goes into auto trannys is about fuel economy.

To overcome these issues, some manufacturers have provided a sport button which overrides these features.
Old 02-02-07, 11:04 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by widlfiresd
To overcome these issues, some manufacturers have provided a sport button which overrides these features.
BINGO!!!

That's exactly what the car needs. Something to override the horrible programming that went into this tranny. Something where there FEELS like there is a direct linkage between the engine and the tranny. When you put you foot on the gas from any speed (0, 5, 50mph) there should be an immediate response, not one delayed by a second or three.

For those out there who just like to use their car to drive three blocks back and forth "to church on Sunday" they can have the settings dialed in on the existing one.
Old 02-02-07, 11:15 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
BINGO!!!

That's exactly what the car needs. Something to override the horrible programming that went into this tranny.
your car already has "S mode"

it would be nice if you could turn off the traction control though.
Old 02-02-07, 12:55 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

@chuckb
While you had a 8000mile loaner with no problems, I had a 7000mile loaner with pretty much every problem listed on this forum. The transmission spiked not once, but several times within a 15 minute stretch. It also rattled like a roller coaster ride. Pound the back windshield lightly, and the whole ceiling rattled loudly. Rattles in other areas too, but I won't go into that here.

I had another 1000mile loaner, and there were no problems, as expected from such a low mileage car. So it's a draw, really.

And with all the others people here, I agree that it's worth waiting for fixes, as our warranty is long enough. However, if lexus can't get this one fixed in this generation, I'd hesitate to buy another.
Old 02-03-07, 08:12 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Psych,

Forgive for this but although I do acknowledge the hesitation, for me it is not as high a priority with me dealing with the slipping and I hope you can understand that.

Researching yesterday on an item to do with slipping I did come across the following which pertains to hesistation and others who are as annoyed as you are over it and some who share your safety concern. As gferg said, the more heard from the better as I believe your concern is one that can be addressed.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t176921.html
Old 02-03-07, 08:27 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Psych,

Forgive for this but although I do acknowledge the hesitation, for me it is not as high a priority with me dealing with the slipping and I hope you can understand that.

Researching yesterday on an item to do with slipping I did come across the following which pertains to hesistation and others who are as annoyed as you are over it and some who share your safety concern. As gferg said, the more heard from the better as I believe your concern is one that can be addressed.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t176921.html
Thanks Bob.

Interesting website.

I know I'm not alone as I've spoken to people at the Taste of Lexus event as well as in the service waiting room at my dealership and many have commented to me about the dreadful disconnect between throttle and engine response with this ridiculous "drive by wire" system. It's absolutely horrible and I really do wonder what presumed purpose they thought was served when they designed it.

What is the design principle that spawned this POS system???

Is a regular linkage between the gas pedal and the engine that unreleable or imprecise that they thought they had to "reinvent the wheel" with this horrible system?

Sometimes "progress" is not always a good thing.

Last edited by PsychDoc; 02-03-07 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-03-07, 08:31 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
Is a regular linkage between the gas pedal and the engine that unreleable or imprecise that they thought they had to "reinvent the wheel" with this horrible system?.

Back in October the Infiniti sales manager went out of his way to point out their G35 had direct acceleration, not by wire, and I had not asked about it at all, it was a selling feature to them, to avoid the concerns you mention.

Quick Reply: Will Lexus Ever Design A Tranny And Engine That Act Like They Know One Another?...