ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Little-known behaviors

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-07, 01:12 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by static
I opened it up to make sure the battery was dry and everything inside the inner seal appeared to be dry.
That's good information to know. Something like that can easily happen.
Old 04-05-07, 04:30 PM
autiger71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by static
I opened it up to make sure the battery was dry and everything inside the inner seal appeared to be dry.

My wife washed her's in a front loading LG washer. I didn't open it up. It still works. It been almost a month and no problems yet. It has a leather jacket. It also went through the dryer.
Old 05-03-07, 07:00 PM
Lex13
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lex13
Speaking of quirks, what the heck is that little ridge inside the glovebox? It only seems to eat up much needed space.

Also, I may be the last owner to find it, but there's a great little sliding shelf inside the console that's just right for holding a cell phone or mp3 player.
Originally Posted by LexBob2
I think there is an insert area in there to hold the owners manual. Could that be it?
LexBob2, I just couldn't figure out how the hell that little piece of shelf was gonna hold our monster owner's manual. Then all of a sudden, there it was. I didn't know about the elastic strap connected to the inside top portion of the glovebox. You really have to feel around for it but it's there. This is really cool now to have room to slide other stuff into and out of the glovebox under the elevated manual. Come on now, I can't be the only ES owner that didn't know this strap was there to hold the owner's manual.
Old 05-04-07, 03:25 AM
Celibon
Driver

Originally Posted by Lex13
LexBob2, I just couldn't figure out how the hell that little piece of shelf was gonna hold our monster owner's manual. Then all of a sudden, there it was. I didn't know about the elastic strap connected to the inside top portion of the glovebox. You really have to feel around for it but it's there. This is really cool now to have room to slide other stuff into and out of the glovebox under the elevated manual. Come on now, I can't be the only ES owner that didn't know this strap was there to hold the owner's manual.

No, you're not the only one. I didn't know until I read this thread either. Great tip!
Old 05-04-07, 08:17 AM
weinrdog
Driver School Candidate

Nope not the only one. I couldn't find this thread when looking originally - so I started another one.
Old 05-04-07, 04:40 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

I dunno if the following would be considered a little-known behavior, and I apologize if someone else has already point it out...but...I didn't realize that the amber-colored front foot well lights are always lit whenever the vehicle is on/engine running...even if none of the other interior lights and/or the headlights/parking lights are on (I dunno if they stay on if the instrument panel light control wheel is set to full dim/off)...
Old 03-05-08, 11:13 PM
tC350
Driver

I got one; coming from a car with regular headlights to one wid HIDS I didn't know that the lights hum when their on but the car is off....didnt know what the humming noise was the first time I heard it..........
Old 03-06-08, 11:55 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Dunno if it's still a "little-known" behavior, a glitch, or just an issue w/ my particular ES350 but--and I would categorize it as somewhat annoying--say your car is in memory position #1 when you lock your vehicle...then later on you unlock one of the (rear) passenger doors with fob #2 (w/ memory position #2 assigned to it) first...then subsequently open the driver's side door--the seating/steering wheel settings will not automatically reposition to memory #2 setting like it would normally do if you had opened the driver's side door first. You ultimately have to turn on the ignition and then manually press the memory #1 button to recall your memory #1 settings.
Old 03-09-08, 01:58 AM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by toneman
I dunno if the following would be considered a little-known behavior, and I apologize if someone else has already point it out...but...I didn't realize that the amber-colored front foot well lights are always lit whenever the vehicle is on/engine running...even if none of the other interior lights and/or the headlights/parking lights are on (I dunno if they stay on if the instrument panel light control wheel is set to full dim/off)...
im looking into changing that red LED to a white LED look into the interior light bulb replacement thread i started...
Old 03-09-08, 03:00 AM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tC350
I got one; coming from a car with regular headlights to one wid HIDS I didn't know that the lights hum when their on but the car is off....didnt know what the humming noise was the first time I heard it..........
that is the electric hum of the HID ballast... there is a whole lot of current running through those suckers... dont know what exactly makes it hum... but it does... just dont go sticking you hand into the engine bay trying to feel for it while its humming... =D (i'll get dibs on your car if you accidentally get shocked yea?)
Old 07-21-09, 07:45 AM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Little-know behaviors

Nothing like ressurecting a 3 year old thread! I was looking at the LS forum and found this behavior and tried it on my ES. Found out it was already mentioned some time ago but many may not be aware:

(posted by wanderer99 6-06) Closing windows and sunroof:

- press and hold the button on the door. After 5 seconds the windows will start going up, and the sunroof will start to close. You can stop this whenever you want by releasing the button.
- To continue to raise the windows\close sunroof, just press and hold again until all the glass is closed.

If you have an Ultra, the sunroof will not be included in the process. The "windows down" works from the remote only and the "windows up" only works from the door handle button.

Pete
Old 07-22-09, 12:17 PM
safford197
Driver

Originally Posted by ESsearch

If you have an Ultra, the sunroof will not be included in the process. The "windows down" works from the remote only and the "windows up" only works from the door handle button.

Pete
Pressing and holding the lock button on for my '07 Ultra rolls the windows up... But the range is very limited...
Old 07-22-09, 10:25 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

That also works on my 99 ES with the key. Put the key in, and unlock opens the front windows and sunroof, lock closes them. Doesn't work on the rear windows though. Also doesn't close the sunroof if it's tilted up.
Old 09-06-09, 07:23 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure if this was posted already, but I just found this out.

If you park your car and want to continue listening to the radio but want to turn off the engine, put the car in neutral, push the start/stop button once, the engine will stop but the accessories will remain on. Then, put the car in park and continue listening to the radio.

If you do the above when the car is in park, everything turns off.
Old 09-07-09, 08:12 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
Not sure if this was posted already, but I just found this out.

If you park your car and want to continue listening to the radio but want to turn off the engine, put the car in neutral, push the start/stop button once, the engine will stop but the accessories will remain on. Then, put the car in park and continue listening to the radio.

If you do the above when the car is in park, everything turns off.
Nice tip, thanks! I've always been annoyed that I had to shut things off in park & then restart them.