ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350
View Poll Results: 23mpg As Is Or 21mpg With INSTANT Throttle Response...Is The Trade Worth It?
YES!!!!!!!!!!
60.00%
No, it would be nice, but not at 2mpg less efficiency
12.00%
I have no idea what you people are talking about, my car is perfect
28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Would You Accept 2 MPG less efficiency To Get A Tranny That Responded IMMEDIATELY?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-07, 09:23 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by terryes
After discussing your post with my neighbor, another happy ES350 owner, neither one of us understands what you are trying to say.

Speaking of the Infiniti, my first one was the I-35 (lousy luxury tax), then I moved up to the I-30, then the Q-45 and now I have the M-45. So, I'm kind of surprised that your speaking so highly of the G-35, is this from owning one?

You and your neighbor could try getting the car up to 45mph in regular mode, not S mode, and then very lightly apply the brakes and notice the tach spike upward as the trans scrolls through downshifting and as well if circumstances permit, get it up to 45mph and simply take foot off gas not applying brake at all and see the same RPM spike as the transmission downshifts....trans is in appropriate gear for when gas is added there should be no hesitation of the kind experienced and that psych mentions as rolling hesitation as it should be in gear, at least either 1 or 2, when he adds the gas, there should not be a second or two delay.

I wasn't speaking highly of the G35, I just know it has direct accel, not fly by wire accel, there is none of this hesitation related to explanations of by wire or any offered mpg savings. I drove 2 of them 07 model, neighbor has one and says there is no hesitation at all, you press, you go. Infiniti does point it out---did to me-- as though to them maybe it is some kind of sales tool that they have direct accel and no lag.
Old 02-08-07, 10:01 AM
terryes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
You and your neighbor could try getting the car up to 45mph in regular mode, not S mode, and then very lightly apply the brakes and notice the tach spike upward as the trans scrolls through downshifting and as well if circumstances permit, get it up to 45mph and simply take foot off gas not applying brake at all and see the same RPM spike as the transmission downshifts....trans is in appropriate gear for when gas is added there should be no hesitation of the kind experienced and that psych mentions as rolling hesitation as it should be in gear, at least either 1 or 2, when he adds the gas, there should not be a second or two delay.

I wasn't speaking highly of the G35, I just know it has direct accel, not fly by wire accel, there is none of this hesitation related to explanations of by wire or any offered mpg savings. I drove 2 of them 07 model, neighbor has one and says there is no hesitation at all, you press, you go. Infiniti does point it out---did to me-- as though to them maybe it is some kind of sales tool that they have direct accel and no lag.
Thanks Bob, you finally made my point for me. You do not understand the Artificial Intelligence Shift and you sure are not operating it correctly. Read the manual, or better yet have a Lexus tech explain it to you.

Before I hang up on this thread, let me say once again ---- there is NO lag or hesitation caused by the ES350 tranny/engine combo. The lag is introduced by the driver.

Hanging up --- end of thread for me
Old 02-08-07, 10:14 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Bob, you finally made my point for me. You do not understand the Artificial Intelligence Shift and you sure are not operating it correctly. Read the manual, or better yet have a Lexus tech explain it to you.

Before I hang up on this thread, let me say once again ---- there is NO lag or hesitation caused by the ES350 tranny/engine combo. The lag is introduced by the driver.

The driver is giving the car gas, the car is going nowhere while it hesitates, cars should always move forward when one applies gas, not sit there stymied/confused on what to do for a second or two. While it is not a big deal to me, especially compared to the slipping, it is a big deal to quite a few others or there would not be so many federal reports filed on it other models or other mentions, and it should be corrected and can be somewhat easily corrected with a software alteration.
Old 02-08-07, 12:18 PM
willard
Driver School Candidate

"...the lag is introduced (induced) by the driver."

Only if you happen to have a "Mr. Spock" mentality.

Yes, the lag/hesitation is "induced" by the driver, but inadvertently so, via using what for most of us was once absolutely normal (and should remain so), standard driving techniques.

In order to experience the lag/hesitation the driver must first fully release the gas pedal and then within a very short time re-apply enough pressure to the gas pedal for a fairly rapid acceleration. You can verify this via the TSB issued in the spring of 2003 to cover the MY2003 Camry.

The ATF gear type oil pump cannot supply enough pressure/flow with the engine at idle to sustain two gear changes in quick sucession. Upon that initial FULL lift-throttle the transaxle began to upshift. Now with the need to accelerate a downshift cvommand will be issued to the transaxle as soon as the previously commanded upshift completes. The DBW system is being used to "protect the drive train", prevent the engine torque from rising until that second sequential (down) shift can be fully completed.

ALL automatic transmissions/transaxles with a torque converter lockup clutch will ALWAYS disable that clutch the instant the driver applies even the slightest level of braking. And absent the lockup clutch being locked the transaxle CANNOT remain in true O/D. Unless the lockup clutch is released with brake application there is the potential for stalling the engine if the driven wheels should sudden lockup due to a slippery roadbed or low road speed.

Current O/D gear ratios are in the range of 1:1.7, when you apply the brakes at highway speeds the engine RPM will rise by a substantial level simply because you just dropped out of O/D to reduce the potential for stalling the engine.

Last edited by willard; 02-08-07 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-08-07, 12:31 PM
willard
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ES350Bob

"...get it up to 45mph and simply take foot gas not applying brake at all and see the same RPM spike as the transmission downshifts.."

I don't own one of these cars but the shift pattern documented in the shop/repair manual at techinfo.toyota.com indicates that the transaxle will, should, ALWAYS upshift upon any full lift-throttle event, should a higher gear ratio be available, of course.

----------------------

Oops, an exception.

I went back and did a more thorough job (wanted to be certain) reseaching this issue and found an exception to the above "rule" in section AX, page 13 of the 2007 ES350 shop/repair manual.

"Lock-up Prohibition Control.
...Brake pedal depressed
...Accelerator pedal released
...Engine coolant below 140F"

So, apparently lockup will be disabled in ANY gear ratio in which it is used if the brake pedal is depressed or the accelerator pedal is fully released. And if you happen to be already in O/D it will downshift since O/D is not functional absent the lock-up capability.

Note that while it will not engage lockup it will still UPSHIFT on any full-lift throttle event except to O/D.

Last edited by willard; 02-08-07 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-09-07, 05:52 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

You're an idiot!

Let me give you a brief in-service on how cars work.

Gas pedal means "go" (as in NOW, not 3 seconds from now).

Brake means "stop."

See, it's really not hard once you get the hang of it.

Maybe you should start on somthing a little smaller like maybe a riding mower and work your way up to a big boys car.