ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Why doesn't the radio stay on after the ignition is turned off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-07, 07:37 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why doesn't the radio stay on after the ignition is turned off?

A lot of cars have that feature. Your listening to your favorite tune when you pull into the drive and there is no need to waste gas. Radio goes off when the door is opened. Should be a LPS option IMHO.

Pete
Old 02-02-07, 07:45 PM
1seeker1
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed
Old 02-03-07, 05:42 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Also agree.
Old 02-03-07, 07:21 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ESsearch
A lot of cars have that feature. Your listening to your favorite tune when you pull into the drive and there is no need to waste gas. Radio goes off when the door is opened. Should be a LPS option IMHO.

Pete

It is to do with keyless ignition. You would have to push the button several times to turn off the car completely when simply wishing to exit when not wishing to listen to radio etc. in order to match a key required system possibilities.

Psychdoc may get some converts to keyless entry great, keyless start not so great all the time.
Old 02-03-07, 07:59 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
It is to do with keyless ignition. You would have to push the button several times to turn off the car completely when simply wishing to exit when not wishing to listen to radio etc. in order to match a key required system possibilities.

Psychdoc may get some converts to keyless entry great, keyless start not so great all the time.
Yeah and let me add the following:

Isn't it a pain that after you turn the car off, you have to push the "start" button one time to be able to listen to the radio?

And then, if you forgot to raise or lower your windows you have to push it again (if it's after the few seconds that the car maintains power to the window switches) to get to the full "ACC" position to get power to the window switches. Now, because you don't want to leave it with all the dasboard lights armed, etc. , if you want to get back to that first position, you have to push it again which brings you to "off" and then again to get back to that first position so you can listen to your radio (or in my case, tape player...I love my Howard Stern on tape).

What a royal PIA!!!

Give me back a key and ignition switch!!!!!!
Old 02-03-07, 08:21 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PsychDoc

Isn't it a pain that after you turn the car off, you have to push the "start" button one time to be able to listen to the radio?

And then, if you forgot to raise or lower your windows you have to push it again (if it's after the few seconds that the car maintains power to the window switches) to get to the full "ACC" position to get power to the window switches. Now, because you don't want to leave it with all the dasboard lights armed, etc. , if you want to get back to that first position, you have to push it again which brings you to "off" and then again to get back to that first position so you can listen to your radio (or in my case, tape player...I love my Howard Stern on tape).

What a royal PIA!!!

ROTFL...,

You could count the minutes till the above was posted, it is like waving fresh kill in front of a very hungry lion to post a subject title like this.

Could you please videotape it for us when you start doing the:

"Told you so" dance
Old 02-03-07, 08:37 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

ROTFL...,

You could count the minutes till the above was posted, it is like waving fresh kill in front of a very hungry lion to post a subject title like this.

Could you please videotape it for us when you start doing the:

"Told you so" dance
LOL

I guess I'm just getting too predictable.

Maybe I should post how my life never really began until I had keyless starting?

Or not.
Old 02-03-07, 02:56 PM
static
Driver

I found this out by accident, if you push the button once before getting it into Park, the radio/ipod, etc. will stay on, but the engine will shut off.
Old 02-03-07, 03:00 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PsychDoc

What a royal PIA!!!

With respect to psydoc and his "issues" with physical keys, the attributes he mentions also should be options in the LPS settings. I don't see how the keyless ignition causes any actual restrictions for this. It doesnt affect the headlights and I would like to see the radio operate like I have had the headlights programmed. When I turn off the car the headlights remain on. As soon as I open the door they go off. If you can feed voltage to the headlights to do this there is no reason the same could not be done with the radio and other features.

Pete
Old 02-03-07, 03:09 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

With respect to psydoc and his "issues" with physical keys, the attributes he mentions also should be options in the LPS settings. I don't see how the keyless ignition causes any actual restrictions for this. It doesnt affect the headlights and I would like to see the radio operate like I have had the headlights programmed. When I turn off the car the headlights remain on. As soon as I open the door they go off. If you can feed voltage to the headlights to do this there is no reason the same could not be done with the radio and other features.

Pete

Pete,

You just reminded me of something that I think is me not knowing how to change something.

I have my headlights on auto, so at night if I wait in the car while parents or friends go into a store I am having to get out of the car, lock it to get headlights off....LOL... then unlock, get back in and turn on aux so I can listen to radio etc. and if I don't the headlights stay on.

Is there something else I can do or do I have to switch headlights to off in order to avoid this?
Old 02-03-07, 06:04 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Pete,

You just reminded me of something that I think is me not knowing how to change something.

I have my headlights on auto, so at night if I wait in the car while parents or friends go into a store I am having to get out of the car, lock it to get headlights off....LOL... then unlock, get back in and turn on aux so I can listen to radio etc. and if I don't the headlights stay on.

Is there something else I can do or do I have to switch headlights to off in order to avoid this?
Yeah, it would probably be easier to open the hood and disconnect the battery.

Pete
Old 02-03-07, 06:30 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Default There is a work around

If you shift the car to "N" while the engine is running and press the Ignition button, the car will go into ACC mode, thereby keeping the radio and all else on and powered. Nothing changes except your HVAC will go off and your engine along with them.

When you're done with your radio/CD/movie, them press it twice (once to go to IGG/ON, again to go fully OFF) to turn everything off and exit the car.

This is discussed in the manual on page 94

-- So for folks who want to continue listening to music after parking and turning off your engine, try shifting into "N" then press the power button to turn off the engine and then bring it to "P" -- you'll then be parked with everything else remaining on and functioning.
Old 02-03-07, 06:42 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Yeah, it would probably be easier to open the hood and disconnect the battery.

Pete
LOL.... thank you Oracle of Wisdom for that info tidbit.

You should try what I'm talking about, put them on auto, back out of the driveway <---at night....and pull back in, shut off car after overhead lights have gone out, pretend a passenger got out, wait a minute and decide you want to listen to radio, see how long lights stay on. Then see what you study up. Or, after getting out to lock the car which will turn the lights out, then get back in, push button once so you can play radio etc. and then push it again to off and you'll see lights go right back on.

Reason I asked, is you cannot see selections for lights. If better than opening hood to twist the light control around in the dark then ok.
Old 02-03-07, 08:25 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
If you shift the car to "N" while the engine is running and press the Ignition button, the car will go into ACC mode, thereby keeping the radio and all else on and powered. Nothing changes except your HVAC will go off and your engine along with them.

When you're done with your radio/CD/movie, them press it twice (once to go to IGG/ON, again to go fully OFF) to turn everything off and exit the car.

This is discussed in the manual on page 94

-- So for folks who want to continue listening to music after parking and turning off your engine, try shifting into "N" then press the power button to turn off the engine and then bring it to "P" -- you'll then be parked with everything else remaining on and functioning.
Lexusguy - Thanks for the info, I'll give that a try. At least it is an option but, all the more reason this should be a LPS setting so if it is your preference you don't have to take the extra step. BTW, I checked the manual and my copy does not reference this mode.

Bob, I re-read your message a few times to try and understand what you were saying. I think I got it now. First off, to get the lights to go off you have to do the routine you described or I think more simply just switch the lights from auto to off and then back to auto. I use the auto feature as well, but I had my LPS settings change to turn the lights off when the door is opened instead of the 30 second delay. Then you switch to "acc" mode to listen to the radio. Finally, I think because you are going from "acc" to "on" and then to "off" the process of going to "on", however breifly, reactivates the auto mode of the headlights and turns them back on. At this point you are back to the same options to turn them off - use the switch, wait 30 seconds, or in my case open the door.

Pete
Old 02-04-07, 06:44 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

At this point you are back to the same options to turn them off - use the switch, wait 30 seconds, or in my case open the door.

Pete

I'll adjust the length of time they stay on and also just open and close the door...

My father pointed out it is not necessary to get out of the car, lock it, unlock it and get back in as I had been doing, just open and close the door.

Quick Reply: Why doesn't the radio stay on after the ignition is turned off?