ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350
View Poll Results: What was the result after your transmission replacement?
Success: transmission is working perfectly!
14.29%
Failure: transmission still skips\flares\slips.
85.71%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Transmission Replacement Success\Failure Poll - Dec 2006+

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-07, 06:54 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK - it might still be early days on this poll, but its looking really bad given the current poll postings on the replacement trans failure. I'm thinking that at this point maybe we should all accept that our trans are bad and stop thinking about fixes now.

Instead maybe we can make a concerted effort together to determine real ways to make the flare show up. We'll all have to deal with Lexus again, and I am personally sick and tired of this "sorry - can't replicate the problem" issue. I had to go through that multiple times on my first trans, TSIB failure (only once though...) and now the second trans. It's a total joke and I'm not happy about it.

So how about it? If maybe each of us can try to determine ways to force the flare to occur, then by posting that procedure it may assist others in their fight with Lexus. I'm currently seeing flares when cold, as well as hot coming off the freeway, etc. Even parking the car for 15 mins when hot and then driving in stop\start conditions is making it flare. I do plan to get a video camera and video this. It's just a total P-I-A to have to do it when you're driving a $40K+ car.

What do you all think?
Old 02-14-07, 07:17 PM
widlfiresd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the evidence is clear. And whether or not a tech can reproduce your issue, given the number of buy backs, a good attorney could force Lexus to buy them back.

Not being able to reproduce an issue that has resulted in Lexus buying back countless cars speaks for itself.

If they want proof, they need to look at their service database which could be accessed with a court order.
Old 02-14-07, 07:23 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have personal knowledge of three ES350's in KC that have had a total of 5 transaxles and all slipped. Lexus HAS to be fully aware of this issue and its magnitude.

Pete
Old 02-14-07, 07:50 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

My wife just called me to let me know that the trans slipped again -a big one. This happens after some long freeway driving when the car is hot. First exit, then stop at light, then drive off and... slip ~1000rpms or higher. This reminds me of the early days of the trans failures where this is what the symptoms were - extended highway driving, then stop, then drive away and watch it slip. I'm trying to get a camcorder as I'll be doing a long trip this weekend with this exact type of driving behaviour.
Old 02-14-07, 08:27 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hardly ever used my camcorder, until now.
I never thought I'd be using it mostly to record vehicle defects.
Old 02-15-07, 04:36 AM
BillP
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderer99
Instead maybe we can make a concerted effort together to determine real ways to make the flare show up. We'll all have to deal with Lexus again, and I am personally sick and tired of this "sorry - can't replicate the problem" issue. I had to go through that multiple times on my first trans, TSIB failure (only once though...) and now the second trans. It's a total joke and I'm not happy about it.
My thought is some, not all, dealers are stalling by saying they can't reproduce the flair. My dealer pulled that on me and as soon as I picked the car up to go home at the end of the day it flaired. I don't have strange driving habits. They know there is not a fix so they're supporting corporate Lexus by not having useless warranty work. (My opinion) Maybe some customers will just live with it or maybe a fix will come along at some point and some buybacks can be avoided if they stall. They just make some of us jump through another hoop ala camcorder to document the problem. I guess I'll just put my camcorder in the car.
Old 02-15-07, 12:17 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

my tranny might flare in the future. so i pray for a fix.
They failed to optimize the last generation 5speed. Let's hope the engineers are good this time.

no doubt they are aware of this problem. but my wild guess is that they'll need to totally redesign this tranny, test it, then offer to swap-in in 5 years.
Old 02-15-07, 12:41 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

After checking the repair order, I have 1,500 miles on the replacement transmission, still shifting good.
Old 02-15-07, 03:03 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by garsarno
After checking the repair order, I have 1,500 miles on the replacement transmission, still shifting good.
not bad.

if only there were more consistent results.
Old 02-18-07, 12:27 PM
mjmg8rs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Transmission replaced today

Not sure how your poll works - new to the forum today. I have a es350 purchased end of Dec in south florida. The flare" started at around 1000miles. It was between 3-4 gear, sounds like everyone elses flare I am reading about.. I went into the dealership, they replicated the problem - it was pretty obvious. They replaced the transmission today. I pulled out of the lot turned left and within 1 mile had replicated the problem on the new transmission. I turned around and i am driving the same loaner I dropped off before. By the way the loaner has the flare also - but not as bad. The advice I would love is - wen they offer me the buy back what do you guys recommend?? and how does it work?? I am afraid a new one will do the same thing based on reading different forums.

Thanks
Mike
Old 02-18-07, 01:01 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mjmg8rs
Not sure how your poll works - new to the forum today. I have a es350 purchased end of Dec in south florida. The flare" started at around 1000miles. It was between 3-4 gear, sounds like everyone elses flare I am reading about.. I went into the dealership, they replicated the problem - it was pretty obvious. They replaced the transmission today. I pulled out of the lot turned left and within 1 mile had replicated the problem on the new transmission. I turned around and i am driving the same loaner I dropped off before. By the way the loaner has the flare also - but not as bad. The advice I would love is - wen they offer me the buy back what do you guys recommend?? and how does it work?? I am afraid a new one will do the same thing based on reading different forums.

Thanks
Mike
mjmg8rs - welcome to the forum. This poll is specifically for people like you who have had their first transmission replaced already by Lexus. This poll is to determine how well the "fix" from Lexus is working - in this case, replacing the original transmission with a brand new one. Please vote!

Regarding buybacks - some of our members will almost certainly stop by soon and advise you on this. Twister went through it and can give some good advice. If I could get a buyback, I'd jump at it. The main problem seems to be the dealers replicating the issue. If your dealer is saying that your second trans has a confirmed problem, you are in a very good position right now. You actually have options!

You say you are afraid of a new ES as it may do the same thing. You know exactly how Lexus will treat you with the new car if it does have the same problem.... rip out the old trans and put a new one in, and send you on your way. Were you happy with this experience the first time around???

Interesting that your loaner also has the problem as well. Do you know the build date on your actual car, and the build date on the loaner vehicle? We have a poll going on the forum that also lists build dates by month with problem transmissions.
Old 02-18-07, 04:15 PM
mjmg8rs
Driver School Candidate

production date no car was 10/1/06 - had 2152 miles when i took it in - i am going to put some stuff from the notes from service dept.. in here - doesnt make sense to me - but may to someone on the forum..

"Internal malfuntion in transmission assembly
pressure reading at idle 58 psi stall test in drive 189 psi
idiling in r 128 psi stall tst r 278 psi
replace transmission assembly"

cant find the build date on the loaner - but it only has 400 miles on it.. if its important for someone to know i can dig around..

At this point I would take the buy back and shop for something else- just unhappy because i liked the car - needed the space for the family etc.. and liked the car overall.

Wold love tohear any recommendations - but both the place i am seviccing the car and the dealership are saying they will work with me to talk to corporate.. no ofer of buy back yet

I voted on the poll that the repacement failed
Old 02-18-07, 04:25 PM
mjmg8rs
Driver School Candidate

Is there a build date after which the transmission does not seem to have an issue?
Old 02-18-07, 07:00 PM
NGG
Pole Position

At this point I would take the buy back and shop for something else- just unhappy because i liked the car - needed the space for the family etc.. and liked the car overall.
MJ;

Don't wait around. Start the buy-back process now!

If you are offered an 07 ES 350, ask yourself "why would this be any different from a replacement transmission?" It is not! I had my ES replaced with an IS350 because I had lost confidence in the ES and replacement transmissions and the IS suited my needs.

If you are offered a Lexus product, would strongly suggest you consider another model after reviewing their forums here. It seems that the GS is the model of choice for those who have been offered a replacement. As above I chose an IS.

The best deal of course is a full cash refund. That way you may then consider another brand entirely.

Why does Lexus continue to subject its customers to this pain?

Hope this helps. Let us know how you make out. Best of luck.

NGG

PS: My 19 year old son took my new IS for a drive on a winding country road this afternoon and pronounced it "a keeper" and he wants it! Yeah, right!
Old 02-18-07, 08:10 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Thanks
Mike
If you can get Lexus to buy back your car, then you should take it and choose a different model.

My replacement transmission failed with the same shift slipping problem between 3rd and 4th gear after about 200 miles on the replacement transmission. Prior to the replacement transmission, my car was in the process of being bought back by Lexus.

I was initially interested in trading for a "newer" more improved es350. However, a service rep. was honest enough to discourage me from seeking a replacement es350 and offered to give me a refund. I was told that my repacement es350 would most likely have the same problem. I was also told that the slipping between 3rd and 4th gear was now considered a "normal characteristic" of the car and is not considered a "defect" by Lexus. I was also told that Lexus would not be required to produce a fix since this transmission slipping is now considered a "normal characteristic" of the car. I wonder how many of us would knowingly purchase a car with this "normal characteristic? I definitely would not choose a replacement es350; just give me a refund, please.

So I'm off car shopping!

Quick Reply: Transmission Replacement Success\Failure Poll - Dec 2006+