es350 or avalon??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-07, 12:01 PM
reyrey127
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default es350 or avalon??

hi all,

would anyone care to give me some insight on this issue? with all the problems SOME are experiencing with the es350, would any of you consider getting an upscale avalon instead? why or why not?

thanks in advance..
Old 02-10-07, 12:53 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Go drive both (or at least sit in them). The ES350 is edgier. The Avalon is a nice car, a very nice car, but it just lacks the edge that the ES350 has. The interior layout on the Avalon is a little strange (at least to me). The theme seems to be that everything is hidden in the dash behind hinged trap doors. I like the layout of the ES350 much better. As for exterior styling, the Avalon is a bit bland compared to the sharper lines of the ES350. I will say that the Avalon is bigger, no doubt about that. But the ES350 is plenty big for most people's needs.
Old 02-10-07, 01:03 PM
reyrey127
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by e-man
Go drive both (or at least sit in them). The ES350 is edgier. The Avalon is a nice car, a very nice car, but it just lacks the edge that the ES350 has. The interior layout on the Avalon is a little strange (at least to me). The theme seems to be that everything is hidden in the dash behind hinged trap doors. I like the layout of the ES350 much better. As for exterior styling, the Avalon is a bit bland compared to the sharper lines of the ES350. I will say that the Avalon is bigger, no doubt about that. But the ES350 is plenty big for most people's needs.
hi thanks for the insight,

i was actually more curious about the transmission issues that some es350 members are having. the avalon has a 5 speed and the es350 has a 6 speed tranny. just curious if those that have the es350 would trade it in for an avalon. but thanks. i agree with you on the bland outside design and i actually sat in both already. i also find the trap doors sort of confusing, pssibly because toyota wants to mask the bland design of the audio controls. it looks very "outdated". thanks.

any insight is good insight.
Old 02-10-07, 01:36 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by reyrey127
hi thanks for the insight,

i was actually more curious about the transmission issues that some es350 members are having. the avalon has a 5 speed and the es350 has a 6 speed tranny. just curious if those that have the es350 would trade it in for an Avalon. but thanks. i agree with you on the bland outside design and i actually sat in both already. i also find the trap doors sort of confusing, pssibly because toyota wants to mask the bland design of the audio controls. it looks very "outdated". thanks.

any insight is good insight.
In answer to your question, I wouldn't trade my ES350 for the Avalon. We shopped both cars, and both my wife and I preferred the interior and exterior styling of the Lexus. Strictly a personal choice there. The 6 sp vs. 5 sp transmission wasn't a factor in our decision, but I'm more than satisfied with the 6 sp in the Lexus. Performance and gas mileage with the 6 sp has been impressive for this type of car.
Old 02-10-07, 02:45 PM
reyrey127
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In answer to your question, I wouldn't trade my ES350 for the Avalon. We shopped both cars, and both my wife and I preferred the interior and exterior styling of the Lexus. Strictly a personal choice there. The 6 sp vs. 5 sp transmission wasn't a factor in our decision, but I'm more than satisfied with the 6 sp in the Lexus. Performance and gas mileage with the 6 sp has been impressive for this type of car.

so no tranny issues? interesting... how about those with tranny issues chime in... esbob?
Old 02-10-07, 03:04 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by reyrey127
so no tranny issues? interesting... how about those with tranny issues chime in... esbob?
Probably not all that interesting. While there are cars with the tranmission issue, there are a lot of them running around without it.
Old 02-10-07, 04:42 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

I've not heard any transmission issue on the Avalon so that might be a safer way to go if the transmission is your main concern.

But in my honest opinion, the Avalon ranks lower in comparison to the ES. I almost bought the Avalon with it first came out but after seeing the ES, I changed my mind altogether. Some of the things that brought me to the ES instead of the avalon were the higher quality analine leather, real wood trim, the panoramic roof, the DVD changer, the touch screen DVD Navigation (the Avalon has joystick setup), the auto-swivel HID lights, and of course the reverse camera.

This is just my opinion; others may have totally different views - may I suggest waiting for the 2008 ES to see if the transmission issue goes away and make the comparison with the 2008 Avalon at that time?

Good luck on whatever you decide - they're both great cars.
Old 02-10-07, 04:51 PM
LexFather

Both are fantastic cars and ranked tops or near tops in class.
Old 02-10-07, 06:13 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Absolutely disappointed in the Lexus ES350 experience. My wife drives it two - three times per week locally. I just can't get excited about it anymore. The replacement transmission is working well so far (after approx 800 miles). It still has the cold engine knock, esp on these cold mornings. It is just easier to hit the remote start button from our living room window to warm up the Impala SS or Jeep Grand Cherokee versus the ES350 when it's around zero degrees. Actually, I'm kind of hoping the transmission starts to flare again so I can start PA Lemon Law proceedings for a buyback too.
Old 02-10-07, 09:36 PM
BobBass
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

There is a whole thread dedicated to "2005+ Avalon Transmission Questions" on Edmunds. Although it doesn't appear to be as big a deal as the ES350, there are a number of owners unhappy with the operation of the 5-spd. transmission.

The following link places you near the newer messages:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX?14@@.f0e97fb/277

This and the apparently LOUSY NAV system is putting the Avalon "on hold" for me as a choice for my next vehicle. Why can't Toyota get their act together? Very disappointing.

Speaking of Avalons, on my way to the Philadelphia Auto Show last Monday, I was on a six-lane highway doing 78 mph in my '04 Maxima and a newer white Avalon passed me like I was standing still. He HAD to be going 95!

Maybe he was trying to force a "flare."
Old 02-10-07, 10:57 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

heheh. you can go 5 speed and get hesitation, or 6 speed and get slip.
pick your poison.

the avalon is just ugly in the front. like a big turtle head.
Old 02-10-07, 10:58 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

well forget about the transmission for a second.

focus on what the pros and cons of the cars. The avalon is and always will be just a "toyota". You wont get the prestige of a lexus, and when you drive it out, no matter how much the price tag is close to that ES, people will look at you differently.

the Avalon also has a weird back to it, i dont really like that part of it. the ES looks way way better. less boxy. i do like the front though

that toyota may have all the bells and whistles as your car, but it doesnt have the detail, nor does it ride as well. Toyotas are as refined, they are more noisy

and last, you dont get car washes when you service a toyota.

the avalon must have the same transmission on my RX with that hesitation. Damn Toyota

oh thought of another one. The avalon has been out for 2+ years now. so your ES will be the new model for longer.
Old 02-11-07, 12:29 AM
reyrey127
Pit Crew

all your responses have been great. i really appreciate it. i might try to either wait for the transmission to be fixed or just get something. toyota is definitely not having a good day when it deals with transmissions. this really sucks.

i can see that the es350 is a very upscale car, but honestly, the complaints i have heard for the 07 es350, diesel engine sound, excessive wind noise, flare issues, rattles, etc. is making me think twice. at least with the avalon, those issues have been addressed except for the hesitation and crappy nav system.

thanks for everyone's opinion. i know this may sound unrelated, but does anyone know what the 0-60 times are for the 07 avalon touring and 07 es350? thanks alot again.
Old 02-11-07, 01:29 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
you dont get car washes when you service a toyota.
I take my ES300 to a Toyota dealership for oil changes and they always wash and vacuum my car before I get it back. Maybe that service is reserved for their Lexus customers only? Wouldn't that **** off some ppl....lol
Old 02-11-07, 02:07 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They both are the same car to me.

The ES for sure gives a higher class standing on appearance because it has the Lex badge, and especially the clear roof option that an Avalon can't offer. Besides, the front grill and bumper looks more aggressive on ES, and the the Avalon has more American taste in-out-out, I think for JDM fans would pick the ES. But Toyota seems have softer price and charge on maintenance..

Woo... I am glad I don't have to deal with such tough decision. Follow your heart and budge.

Quick Reply: es350 or avalon??