ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Removing trunk liner

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-07, 06:55 PM
OAKPLANK
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing trunk liner

Does anybody know how to remove the trunk lid liner. I don't want to damage those funny connectors?

I want to install an after market back-up monitor. The camera installs on the license plate and connects to the back-up lite wire that you can only get to by removing the liner on the trunk lid.

The way it works is that the camera turns on when you shift into REVERSE and the back-up lites turn on sending power to the unit.
oakplank
Old 02-16-07, 08:09 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed my trunk lid liner to install the spoiler. The directions that came with the spoiler suggest using a special tool to remove the clips. I made my own tool out of a piece of sheet metal. Basically you need a thin piece of metal that can go under the head of the clip and it will need to be notched to clear the post on the clip. Think of it like a putty knife with 1/4 inch notch in the center of the blade.
The tool is then slid under the clip and the clip is pried out. It will pop out fairly easily if you get under it with a good bite. The clips are fairly flexible so I don't think they will break easily. Hope that helps

Pete
Old 02-17-07, 11:25 AM
OAKPLANK
Rookie

Thanks ESSEARCH, I will give it a try. I asked my dealer if they would do it. He basically said that I should not be connecting anything that would effect the power being drawn from the back-up light. I checked with the manufacture and was told the power required to run the camera is 500
milliwatts which is not a problem.

oakplank
Old 02-19-07, 03:07 PM
OAKPLANK
Rookie

I made the tool you mentioned. However, I didn't use a big enough gage and the metal tool bent on me. I then took two small flat screwdrivers and carefully pried the connectors off. The after market camera is now installed and works fine.
Thanks ESSEARCH for your help. Another reason for this forum.
oakplank
Old 02-19-07, 03:52 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

I'm glad it worked out for you. If you are like me, it is a little undaunting to start taking your expensive car apart. After I got the trunk liner off, it was even more frightening to start drilling holes (for the spoiler) in your new car!

BTW - Where does the camera display its image? Is it very expensive? I always thought it would be great to have one on the front to protect the facia from curb damage.

Pete

Last edited by ESsearch; 02-19-07 at 04:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-20-07, 05:36 PM
OAKPLANK
Rookie

Pete:
There's 2 parts. The camera and the monitor.
The camera mounts on the license plate (the size of a camera on a cell phone). The monitor is approximately 3.5" X 3". I've Velcro the monitor just above the ashtray door. I pushed the power wire inside the center console where it meets the carpet and back up near my seat belt to connect it to the power plug inside the center console. The camera is connected to one of the back-up light. When you shift into reverse the back-up light powers the camera and the signal is picked up by the monitor.
In your case you can attach the camera to your front license plate and wire it to the day driving lights. The camera would always be on. However, there is a switch to turn the power on or off on the monitor.
You can go to www.vr-3.com for more information. The VR-3 company makes various items. What you are looking for is the WIRELESS BACK-UP CAMERA.
I paid $129.00 at Wal*Mart in Ontario Canada.
Hope this helps you for what you want to do.
oakplank

Last edited by OAKPLANK; 02-20-07 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-21-07, 08:23 AM
GaGirl0327
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

[QUOTE=OAKPLANK;2437615]Pete:
There's 2 parts. The camera and the monitor.
The camera mounts on the license plate (the size of a camera on a cell phone). The monitor is approximately 3.5" X 3". I've Velcro the monitor just above the ashtray door. I pushed the power wire inside the center console where it meets the carpet and back up near my seat belt to connect it to the power plug inside the center console. The camera is connected to one of the back-up light. When you shift into reverse the back-up light powers the camera and the signal is picked up by the monitor.
In your case you can attach the camera to your front license plate and wire it to the day driving lights. The camera would always be on. However, there is a switch to turn the power on or off on the monitor.
You can go to www.vr-3.com for more information. The VR-3 company makes various items. What you are looking for is the WIRELESS BACK-UP CAMERA.
I paid $129.00 at Wal*Mart in Ontario Canada.
Hope this helps you for what you want to do.
oakplank[/QUOTE

OakPlank.. Will you post a pic when you get a chance? I'm thinking of adding a rear view camera as well since I didn't opt for Nav(sure wish I had,if only for the backup cam ) Thanks!
Old 02-21-07, 10:39 AM
OAKPLANK
Rookie

Here's a picture of the camera mounted to the license plate.

Unfortunately, this site won't allow me to post more than one pic (maybe size problem). I will post inside pic separately.

oakplank
Attached Thumbnails Removing trunk liner-imgp0158.jpg  
Old 02-21-07, 10:48 AM
OAKPLANK
Rookie

Here's the inside monitor picture.
It can be mounted just about anywhere. You can use the power outlet plug or hard wire the connection. All wire options are included. It even comes with a holder for the monitor to be mounted on top of the dash with included two way tape.

oakplank
Attached Thumbnails Removing trunk liner-imgp0160.jpg  
Old 02-21-07, 02:56 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ESsearch
BTW - Where does the camera display its image? Is it very expensive? I always thought it would be great to have one on the front to protect the facia from curb damage...
I thought that was such a good idea to put one in front, I went and got myself one of these as well. This same device goes for $89.99 at Costco.

This will be my little project this weekend. This will complement the back-up camera already present in the car.
Old 02-21-07, 05:52 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
I thought that was such a good idea to put one in front, I went and got myself one of these as well. This same device goes for $89.99 at Costco.

This will be my little project this weekend. This will complement the back-up camera already present in the car.
Nice set up and a lot less expensive than I would have imagined. I bet the camera can be mostly hidden within the lower air scoop. Keep us posted on how it works on the front.

Pete
Old 02-28-07, 06:19 PM
OAKPLANK
Rookie

07LexusGuy,
Did you ever got the camera / monitor installed? If yes, how are you liking it and how did you power the camera from the front of the car ?
oakplank
Old 02-28-07, 09:06 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OAKPLANK
07LexusGuy,
Did you ever got the camera / monitor installed? If yes, how are you liking it and how did you power the camera from the front of the car ?
oakplank
Hi Oak,

Sorry I didn't post sooner - I made an attempt at putting it in the front of the car but it didn't quite work out so well. If mounting it on the front license plate, the camera will stick out in front and look rather odd. Another option was to mount it in the opening of the front bumper but there were no mounting spots there besides the radiator - and I really want to avoid mounting it on that part!

And when I tried to position the camera in the lower front bumper, the picture didn't turn out very well because it tends to flicker due to perhaps interference with its wireless signal. I powered it via a direct connection to the battery while I was experimenting with it there.

So in the end, I didn't find a very good spot to mount the camera - I ended up putting it onto the back of our RX where it was needed.

But I didn't give up on the idea of mounting a camera in the front - I just ordered a small miniature camera that I'll use to do my experiment. This should be small enough to mount just about anywhere.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...E=WEBLET03SHIP
Old 03-01-07, 01:09 PM
sarge43
Driver

But I didn't give up on the idea of mounting a camera in the front - I just ordered a small miniature camera that I'll use to do my experiment. This should be small enough to mount just about anywhere.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...E=WEBLET03SHIP
I wonder how this camera will stand up to the vibration of a car, the heat from the engine bay/radiator, the elements (water, etc.) that will hit it.
Old 03-01-07, 01:56 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sarge43
I wonder how this camera will stand up to the vibration of a car, the heat from the engine bay/radiator, the elements (water, etc.) that will hit it.
I'm not planning to put it inside the engine bay, most likely will be mounted right towards the front near the license plate. Its not in direct contact with the radiator so I doubt heat will be a big issue. I guess I'll find out when I start the project.

Quick Reply: Removing trunk liner