ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Recirculated air mode

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-07, 03:01 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CDN_Lexus
Both Auto lights must not be on in order for the instructions in my earlier post to work. Is this the case with your car?
Yes that's the case with my car.
I make sure they are both turned off.
Old 03-09-07, 05:07 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't you sometimes wish for the old days where the vent controls were operated by levers you had to manually slide...sometimes w/ a bit more effort than reasonably expected? That'll teach that climate control not to switch out of recirc mode...
Old 03-09-07, 05:29 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
Thanks Onsknht, I know your intentions are good, but your points are confusing.
When you say for 1. that >> it would always be "open" << do you mean that the actual vent to the outside air would be open?

And for 2. when you say >> so in effect the air recirculation is always closed.<< do you mean that the vent to the outside air would always be closed?
If that's the case then you are saying air recirc is ON, but the VENT is always closed, correct?
1. Yes... In only defrost mode will the outside air vent NEED to be open, however in defrost/feet mode, the vent can be open or closed.

2. Yes... If you hold the button for 2 seconds (Air Intake Button / Recirculation On-Off Button) in any mode besides "only defrost" the vent should stay permanently closed.

Remember this was the Camry functionality... All I'm saying is that in any mode besides "only defrost," hold the button for 2 seconds and see if the Air Intake / Fresh Air Closed / Recirculation On (and light on) stays. The Camry isn't THAT much different than the ES.

The unfortunate thing though... I think shut down/restarting the car will reset this feature. So next time you get into the car, (based on ambient temp and humidity) the computer will try to control the Air Intake Vent and you would need to hold the button again to close the vent without the computer taking over.
Old 03-10-07, 12:55 PM
static
Driver

Originally Posted by onsknht
2. Yes... If you hold the button for 2 seconds (Air Intake Button / Recirculation On-Off Button) in any mode besides "only defrost" the vent should stay permanently closed.
That seems to be the answer, autos off, hold the button down for a few seconds. It worked for me. Thanks
Old 03-15-07, 04:46 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

>>Quote:
Originally Posted by onsknht:
2. Yes... If you hold the button for 2 seconds (Air Intake Button / Recirculation On-Off Button) in any mode besides "only defrost" the vent should stay permanently closed.<<

Originally Posted by static
That seems to be the answer, autos off, hold the button down for a few seconds. It worked for me. Thanks
OK folks I finally seem to have got this silly recirc mode working.
Onsknht and Static are correct; although the manual, my dealer's service department and Lexus Canada sure don't know anything about this feature.

When I spoke with the head of my Lexus' service department last week and asked why he hadn't gotten back to me in three weeks on this, he said it's because he was still 'working on it'. Come on!

I made my first long distance trip on Tuesday and was able to test out the recirc for an extended period.

As was pointed out above, you need to hold the button in recirc mode for about two seconds for it to lock in. Shorter than that and it won't lock. Longer than that and you will get into the air intake sensitivity mode setting.

Other things to watch out for when setting it to recirc mode:
1. As stated in the manual, despite being 'locked' into recirc mode there will still be times when the car overrides the setting and switches into auto mode (outside/recirc) when the front window is at risk of fogging up.
2. Recirc mode won't work when defog mode is selected from any setting.
3. Recirc won't work when Auto climate control mode is selected.

I hope this helps others who may be having problems with this feature.
They really should re-write this section in the manual.

One other thing happened on my trip to Toronto yesterday.
After leaving my car in Recirc mode for almost an hour, I turned off my engine.
For the very first time, when I restarted my car ten minutes later, the system was in Recirc mode on its own! Hallelujah!!!
Old 03-16-07, 06:47 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

^^^^ Good deal!!!

I forgot about the "auto" mode setting in the ES, it's does just that, "automate..."

I have "auto" mode in my Sequoia which is a 2002 model and it also functions the same way with the recirculation button.