ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Rattles + Cold + Sunshine

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-07, 06:45 AM
static
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattles + Cold + Sunshine

I've noticed dash rattles/creaking 2 times in my ES, both were cold days.

This morning, 4 degrees here and absolutely no noise from the dash (or anywhere else).

So I was trying to think back to the 2 days that I had noticed it, and I think it was sunny both times and later in the day, it was definately below ~10 degrees both times. Could it be a combination of sun + cold temps causes dash creaking sounds?

Something completely different... I walked out to my car one evening last week and there were icicles hanging off both exhaust pipes almost to the pavement, it looked pretty cool! Next time i'll get a pic.
Old 02-19-07, 07:14 AM
djr
Driver School Candidate

I have a similar crack/rattle noise in my dash, and I think where the headliner meets the windshield.

I saw a general Lexus (non-model) specific TSB for noises around the windshield. I think it said there may be some retainer clips hitting the windshield that can be cut off (probably put in to hold the windshield while the adhesive was curing).

I can replicate my noise on a street near the dealership which "should" make it easier to repair, but it generally occurs when the car hits a big bump and the frame/body has to "twist" to stay with the road. I will be bringing it in hopefully this week.
Old 02-19-07, 02:44 PM
RobF350
Driver

I have yet to find a car that does not get a bit grumpy when it gets in the single digits.

Unless that car lives in a garage!

BTW- love to see some of that Jeep, I have a 1976 CJ7, but its nowhere near as nice as yours im sure.
The Lexus is like a spaceship compared to the old Jeep
Old 02-19-07, 11:08 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by static
I've noticed dash rattles/creaking 2 times in my ES, both were cold days.

This morning, 4 degrees here and absolutely no noise from the dash (or anywhere else).

So I was trying to think back to the 2 days that I had noticed it, and I think it was sunny both times and later in the day, it was definately below ~10 degrees both times. Could it be a combination of sun + cold temps causes dash creaking sounds?

Something completely different... I walked out to my car one evening last week and there were icicles hanging off both exhaust pipes almost to the pavement, it looked pretty cool! Next time i'll get a pic.
i belive there is a tsb on that...it required to cut off the alignment pins in the windshield
Old 02-24-07, 12:12 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Drove to the car wash yesterday, 27 degrees here in Northeast PA and I noticed rattles coming from the dash and headliner. Went through the car wash (complete in and out cleaning) and drove off. No more rattles or noises since. Go figure....
Old 02-25-07, 11:36 AM
djr
Driver School Candidate

On Thursday I had the TSB work performed to remove the plastic windshield retainer clips, and it has not made any noise since.... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 02-26-07, 04:00 AM
static
Driver

Originally Posted by RobF350
I have yet to find a car that does not get a bit grumpy when it gets in the single digits.

Unless that car lives in a garage!

BTW- love to see some of that Jeep, I have a 1976 CJ7, but its nowhere near as nice as yours im sure.
The Lexus is like a spaceship compared to the old Jeep
Pics of the Jeep and our ES while it was on the showroom floor can be found here...

http://staticraster.smugmug.com/gall...8867#131730425
Old 02-26-07, 01:54 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by djr
On Thursday I had the TSB work performed to remove the plastic windshield retainer clips, and it has not made any noise since.... I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I get some popping noises from the dash sometimes.
But I'm gonna wait a few more tens of thousands of miles (and depending on how many more fixes I need on this car) before I get the work done.... just to see if it really worked for you guinea pigs.
Old 03-02-07, 07:02 PM
RobF350
Driver

Originally Posted by static
Pics of the Jeep and our ES while it was on the showroom floor can be found here...

http://staticraster.smugmug.com/gall...8867#131730425

is it for sale?

here is mine:
Old 03-03-07, 01:46 AM
static
Driver

Originally Posted by RobF350
is it for sale?
Nope, not for sale. Not now anyway!

It's not much to look at, but the condition is just unbelievable. Still on the original tires!
Old 03-03-07, 06:58 AM
Adam H
Driver School Candidate

Smile Fixed Rattle / Popping Sound 2007 ES350

I had a rattle or popping noise coming from the top of the windshield everytime I went over bumps. Almost sounded like a rock was hitting the windhshield. It was very noticeable on days below freezing (live in Toronto Canada). On Thurseday the dealer (Richmond Hill Lexus) removed the windshield and it did turn out that the windshield clips were damaged during assembly. The problem is now fixed. Appartently I was the second one in Canada to have this problem.
Old 03-03-07, 03:41 PM
calmondo
Driver School Candidate

Default Annoying Sound Removed

I had an interesting event with Lexus Servoce last Friday. About two weeks ago I would get a knock sound when I would go over a speed bump or when I made that final halt at a stop sign. Not going over rail road tracks so it wasn’t exactly like a rattle. Didn’t always sound, but I would hear it about 80% of the time. Seemed to me that it was coming from the area of the storage bin between the front seats. So took everything out. No relief. Then emptied the glove compartment. Knock still there. It was annoying. So I made an appointment with Lexus service as I thought they would have to remove the center console and find some object that had been accidentally left there during construction. Went for a diagnostic ride with the service advisor, and sure enough, there was the sound at the first stop. (I worried that it wouldn’t show up with the advisor in the car. He could hear it. Like going to a doctor with an ache and when you arrive at the office, you can feel it) However, there it was. Made a couple more stops, sound was evident. But then he said, it’s not down between the seats, it’s up by the rear view mirror. He opened the container for the dark glasses, removed them, and problem solved. How do you think that made me feel? Dumb huh? He was very nice about it though. I solved it permanently by taking a piece of thin foam rubber, cut it to fit the box, and now the glasses can’t move around. All in all, I’m pleased about the solution as I wasn’t looking forward to them dismantling the console as didn’t seem like a “slam dunk” procedure.

Six months experience with the ES350, 9,000 miles and all is going great.