ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Headliner rattle TSIB

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-07, 03:08 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
She's going back to the dealer tomorrow. They want it back after I told them it still rattles. Let them play around with it, the damage is already done to the headliner. If it is a weld issue, I am going to the sales manager and demanding a new car. If they don't listen to me, I'm getting an attorney.
i don't think a new ES will solve your problem unless they increase the rigidity of the frame from the factory. theyre all built like ******.

there's really no damage to the headliner. it's held to the roof by clips.
but you may get an extra rattle in the seat belt pillar after they take it apart a few times.
Old 05-03-07, 05:48 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course, it did not rattle today when I was at the dealer. But, it did rattle tonight. I have come to the conclusion that it does not rattle when it is a hot day and the sun shines on the roof of the car. Something is expanding, causing the rattle to stop. It is more like a tick noise.

I have opened and closed the sunshade. I have put my hand on the glass roof, I have held the headliner...nothing makes a difference, it still rattles when cold.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-03-07, 08:49 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Of course, it did not rattle today when I was at the dealer. But, it did rattle tonight. I have come to the conclusion that it does not rattle when it is a hot day and the sun shines on the roof of the car. Something is expanding, causing the rattle to stop. It is more like a tick noise.

I have opened and closed the sunshade. I have put my hand on the glass roof, I have held the headliner...nothing makes a difference, it still rattles when cold.

Anyone have any ideas?

you're right. when the sheet metal is hot, it won't make noise.

you can make the noise stop by sitting in the back seat, and pushing against the glass, while someone else drives the car.

so, that part of the car needs to be disassembled and rewelded. Or you can hire someone full time to sit in the backseat and push against the glass.
Old 05-04-07, 06:13 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have any ideas?
MD,

To save a lot of back and forth on the where you think the source location is, here is a solution that may apply.

go to Home Depot and get a package of the plastic cabinet leveling clips, they look like tiny doorstops and stair-stepped in apperance from a side view. Try to identify an area you think the noise is coming from and slide one of those in the area to wedge opposing surfaces and slide until you meet significant resistance to you trying to wedge one. If that works, use a pencil to mark a line where it remains protruding, take it out and cut off all excess and then some within line you scored and re-wedge it back and you should no longer see it if you cut off enough of what was not useful.

I did that for a dash rattle between A pillar and dashboard and SILENCE. one less rattle for the new owner of it to deal with.
Old 05-04-07, 06:19 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
MD,

To save a lot of back and forth on the where you think the source location is, here is a solution that may apply.

go to Home Depot and get a package of the plastic cabinet leveling clips, they look like tiny doorstops and stair-stepped in apperance from a side view. Try to identify an area you think the noise is coming from and slide one of those in the area to wedge opposing surfaces and slide until you meet significant resistance to you trying to wedge one. If that works, use a pencil to mark a line where it remains protruding, take it out and cut off all excess and then some within line you scored and re-wedge it back and you should no longer see it if you cut off enough of what was not useful.

I did that for a dash rattle between A pillar and dashboard and SILENCE. one less rattle for the new owner of it to deal with.

Thanks, I will have my wife drive the car and I'll sit in the back and try to figure out exactly where this is coming from.
Old 05-04-07, 03:38 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

i don't think the home depot way will work for the back frame. i tried sticking a credit card into the 1/2" clearance between the headliner and the window, and everything is held tightly. there's nothing you can shove a wedge into.
But you can still stop the rattle by pushing against the window.
Old 05-04-07, 04:59 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dunnojack
i don't think the home depot way will work for the back frame. i tried sticking a credit card into the 1/2" clearance between the headliner and the window, and everything is held tightly. there's nothing you can shove a wedge into.
But you can still stop the rattle by pushing against the window.
Thanks for the tip, I am out of town next week. I am going to take it back to the dealer the week of the 14th. I'll keep you updated.
Old 06-04-07, 07:08 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Thanks for the tip, I am out of town next week. I am going to take it back to the dealer the week of the 14th. I'll keep you updated.
MD - Did you ever get this resolved? I heard some light clicking noises coming from the rear window area today on the ride home.

Pete
Old 06-05-07, 05:00 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ESsearch
MD - Did you ever get this resolved? I heard some light clicking noises coming from the rear window area today on the ride home.

Pete
Sorry to hear that!! Is it similar sounds to Dunno's video? Mine is.

No, I am waiting for my 15K service. Honestly, since it is now hot here on the East Coast, it does not rattle as much as it does when cold outside. But, it still rattles. I am going to try another dealership near my house (rather than near my office). I ran it by the service advisor there and he said they have had customers with this same issue and they pull the head liner down and use felt in certain areas. I'll give it a try and try to take it in soon. I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-24-07, 07:44 PM
SWL
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I'm having the same issues............

My car has the rattle in the headliner. I am going to have the TSIB performed at my 10K service. Has anyone had this performed and were the results successful? Was the job done "clean"? Is the headliner back in place to factory specs? It worries me to have the whole headliner dropped, as I may be opening a can of worms.

Also, wanted to have the windshield pin TSIB performed as well, as I do have the snap/crack noise when the car flexes on turns into the driveway. Any feedback on results of that TSIB as well?

Thanks in advance.
I've had mine to them twice so far for a total of ten days without my car and will take it to them again next week. At first it was just the snap/crack driveway flex noise and now the headliner is squeaking in numerous places. It's been quite disappointing to say the least. I'm continuing to forge ahead hoping they'll be able to fix it; but, personally, I have my doubts. I do have the UL version with the glass roof, which I was suspicious about to begin with.

Good luck to you. Keep us posted.

Scott