ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Questions For those with working transmissions.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-07, 09:16 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Questions For those with working transmissions.....

This thread is for those with working transmissions. I'd define a working trans as one that doesn't slip, flare or whine. I'd really like to hear from you about how your trans operates.

I'm specifically interested in:
- the smoothness when shifting (smooth in shifting all gears?)
- any harshness in changing gears?
- any noticeable change in logic as it "learnt" your driving behaviour?
- any erratic shift patterns?
- any change or weirdness when going up\down hilly areas?
- how many miles you've accumulated.
- are you aware of what the trans is doing?

The first 2000 kms of ownership my trans was very good - well, I remember it that way anyway. I remember that it didn't hunt for a gear, slip. flare and I couldn't really tell it was shifting. Everything was fine until the 2000kms mark.

It hit me on the weekend that since my trans (first, first with valve body and second trans) started to behave badly that I've had totally 'odd' trans behaviour ever since. Coming down a hill (or ever going around a corner) my trans will just get stuck and now work out what to do sometimes. Sometimes it won't change up... other times it won't change down. My 1-2 shift is always harsh whether hot or cold. I always know what its doing and shifts are never seamless - I've read others comment that on CL before. The longer I drive it the worse the shifting patterns become. Even travelling long distances on the freeway then coming off shows weird trans shifting behaviour.

So how about it? For those with a good working trans please report in and remind me of how it used to be!!
Old 03-05-07, 11:01 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hm... I suppose I'll have to knock on wood for saying what I'm about to say...

I've had absolutely no issues with my transmission at all. I've just had my 5000 miles service done today and so far things look and feel like the first day I drove it home. I did notice the car made attempts to learn my driving habit as the shifting did get smoother over time and is now silky smooth compared to my initial drive home.

Every morning I try to keep an eye on the tach and see if it will flare on my first 10 minutes but I've not seen any clue that its doing anything odd. The transmission seems very responsive when I need it to be - acceleration is instant when I depress the pedal at speeds below ~40mph. When at highway speeds, it takes about 1/2 a second to downshift and take off.

So yah... so far so good - no complaints from me. No wind noise, no flare, no rattles, a superb experience so far. I hope it stays that way - otherwise, the GX is next on my list should I have to consider a replacement.

BTW - I have a 10/06 build I bought in mid November
Old 03-06-07, 05:00 AM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good morning,

Build date 4/06

Always smooth, no jumping or lurching

No, either in S or D mode

No, there did not appear to be. (one thing - I drive in S mode in traffic or around town and set the tranny to either 3 or 4 depending on how fast I am going to be driving. I use the D mode on the highway)

Not sure what you mean but it has never shifted into the wrong gear (e.g. downshifting during smooth acceleration)

No. I tell the transmission what the highest gear I want it to be in rather than let the Lexus Bros. decide.

8443 of pure pleasure and 7 miles of agony

Yes, because you guys have me so paranoid that the tranny is going to do something weird and I will need to get a new car any day that I watch for the flare every morning and afternoon when I start up cold. On start-up the car shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 and then holds until it gets to either the right speed and/or temp (I'm waiting for the flare) and gently shifts to 4th -- no flare, not even 100 rpm, the tach just goes down as it falls into the next gear. If I'm abusive and "on it" while cold it drops into 4th when it's ready, again - no flare.
Old 03-06-07, 05:02 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is approximately 2,000 miles since the replacement transmission was installed. I do notice a firmer shift when cold but no flare or problems as yet. When I picked the car up after the transmission replacement, I did do all full throttle shifts on the way home and the next cold morning too. I also drive it slightly aggressively while my wife drives it nicely. I guess it is always in the "classroom" learning how to shift......
Old 03-06-07, 05:45 AM
osokuko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting so far, no one has a comment about the 37-38 mph bucking feeling like it’s trying to learn. I’m curious to know if when approaching a red light, starting to slow down for the stop at say from 40 mph do you (1) slightly left your foot on the gas pedal to start to decelerate in speed or do you (2) take your foot off the gas pedal and coast down in speed to about 36-37 mph before starting to brake? The reason I ask this is I have found I can stop the bucking if I do number 2 (no more bucking) wondering if you guys are doing the same with your cars.
Old 03-06-07, 06:01 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

I will drive this morning and evaluate.
Old 03-06-07, 06:13 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tranny does not flare, but it does have that minor whine. Has had it since day #1 and my loaner had it too. Dealer says it is normal, so I live with it. It is so minor, I don't care anymore.

Anyway, no flares with me. I know what the flare is because my loaner did it several times. It is not a result of different driving habbits as some may think. My car has 9600 miles, build date of 7/06. No harshness, no learning curve, etc. Yes, I too watch the tranny very closely after reading this forum. The only issue is that it is not as responsive as my Acura TL was. It does take about 1/2 a second to respond to full throttles as Lexusguy says. I also notice that if I give it a full throttle and rev it up, then let off due to traffic ahead, it seems to lag and not know what to do, where as the TL would just shift to the next gear quickly and avoid the lag.

One suggestion I have. If the tranny is not operating correctly, might want to try disconnecting the battery cable for about 30 minutes. Then, hook it up again. A Toyota service tech told me this, it resets the computers and it may help your tranny relearn. I had to do this for the power sliding doors on the Sienna. The computer was confused and the doors were not operating correctly.

Good luck!
Old 03-06-07, 08:27 AM
static
Driver

Just over 9K miles on my 08/06 build. Always shifts smoothly no matter how fast or slow I drive.

No erratic behavior or noise. No detectable whine.

I've read with great interest all of the posts regarding the flare/slip issue and tried as hard as I could to detect it in mine and I just can't find anything that it's doing wrong. Cold / Hot, makes no difference.

There are no hills in my regular commute other than overpasses and I've never noticed any weirdness from that.

My Accord used to have trouble with rolling stops, if you slowed down under ~10mph and then tried to accelerate it would get all confused about what gear it should be in and shift hard when it finally decided what to do.

I don't see any of that in my ES or any other issue.
Old 03-06-07, 09:12 AM
coolcow
Driver School Candidate

wanderer,

I am with you. I have 900 miles on my second transmission (long story...). The gear shifts are harsh when cold, but definitely get smoother (or sometimes unnoticeable) when warm. I also have rough downshift around 30-35mph. I wonder whether you have any similar experience.
Old 03-06-07, 09:46 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Drove it today in 7 degree cold. No trans shift problems, slightly firmer upon start out but after 15 minutes and the engine temp rose, very smooth. If I could just get rid of the Singer sewing machine noise (still there after 30 minutes and engine temp normal).
Old 03-06-07, 11:18 AM
RKF350
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

I took delivery in Sept. of my car.

Always smooth. Everyone who has driven and/or rides in the car comments.
No harshness, driving hard or moderate.
None.
None.
None.
5,700 miles.
Yes. I keep reading these threads and worrying about it. I even had my friend who owns a 2006 G35 drive it and he said it's amazing how responsive, smooth, and quite.
Old 03-06-07, 11:50 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

My trans experience on our 4/06 build date is very similar to RFK350, 07LexusGuy, psp & static. It's been smooth since day one and any learning was seamless. I get the momentary pause if I floor it when traveling at about 1/2 throttle or so, but it's so brief it's not a problem, just feels different. I have 6,800 miles on the car since the mid-May purchase.

A couple of observations on the transmission: 1. When accelerating at low speed from a stop, the trans shifts 1-2 very quickly unless you're heavier on the gas, then it will hold 1st gear longer. I think the new 5 and 6 speed transmissions get into 3rd gear and higher as quick as possible to improve gas mileage. 2. Sometimes when idling or coasting at a very low speed, the engine holds at a constant 1,000 rpm's - When you accelerate it's very smooth with no clunk since the rpm's are already up a bit.
Old 03-06-07, 12:07 PM
ckon
Rookie

Over 17,000 miles and all is well.
Old 03-06-07, 01:47 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

I have an 05/06 build. Smooth with no transmission issue so far *knock on wood*. The coldest it has gotten here is low 40s, and it drives smooth. I have the habit of warming up the car till the RPM drops to 1000. I don't believe metal parts and oil can work absolutely smoothly when they are cold.... Just law of physics.... I do recommend everyone to warm up his/her car in the morning because it does make a difference.

I believe my car shifts as smooth as they come.....You can always feel a little shift shock, but it's negligible. The only time i feel a "hiccup" is when I take my foot off the gas and step on it again while the car is down-shifting. This is caused by driving habit, so it's not a defect.

8500 miles and still going strong. Luv this car.
Old 03-06-07, 02:33 PM
weinrdog
Driver School Candidate

All is well at 8K miles (08/06 build). After reading this forum, I actively look for and try to re-create the issues discussed here and haven't been able to. The only issue I've had is when following someone closely in traffic. If I just give it just a little gas, it sometimes will delay re-engagement & then lurch when it finally grabs. (I used to control speed/distance this way well with my 5 spd) When I changed to have a slightly heavier foot, this issue went away.

Quick Reply: Questions For those with working transmissions.....