Considering purchase of used ES350

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-07, 07:06 PM
Northwest1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering purchase of used ES350

A newbie, here.

We're considering purchasing a low mileage 2007 on Ebay.

Dealer description says " The reason it was bought back was for the national recall for the transmission, it has been fixed/replaced."

Would appreciate opinions from forumites as to the wisdom of this idea.

Thank you!
Old 03-10-07, 07:19 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Northwest1
A newbie, here.

Dealer description says " The reason it was bought back was for the national recall for the transmission, it has been fixed/replaced."

Thank you!
Welcome Northwest1,

I can virtually guarantee you would end up with a car with a hosed up transmission buying one off e-bay that already had an issue with the transmission.

Take some time to review our poll on here of 2nd transmission replacements and note the majority failure rate of 2nd transmissions.

When buying used it seems there are no state laws to protect you in a Lemon situation as there are for new car buyers, your options would be very limited.
Old 03-10-07, 07:19 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

A newbie, here.

Thank you!
To my knowledge no transmissions have been fixed. However, in some cases, the symptoms have been camouflaged with various snake oil remedies. I would point the opposite direction and run like hell.
Old 03-10-07, 07:32 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
To my knowledge no transmissions have been fixed. However, in some cases, the symptoms have been camouflaged with various snake oil remedies. I would point the opposite direction and run like hell.
I agree, don't do it. If you like the car, hold out until Lexus has a fix for this issue. If you can't wait, I would look at another Lexus model or another make. Stay away from the 2007 Camry V6, those have the same issue.
Old 03-10-07, 07:34 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MD350
I agree, don't do it. If you like the car, hold out until Lexus has a fix for this issue. If you can't wait, I would look at another Lexus model or another make. Stay away from the 2007 Camry V6, those have the same issue.
RX's as well are known to have premature tranny failure (non hybrid). The IS/GS/LS are your best bets.
Old 03-10-07, 08:01 PM
ESDragon
Driver

All these threads about these tranny failures is really depressing me. I will be picking my ES in less than 2 weeks and I am really having second thoughts making my purchase.
Old 03-10-07, 08:10 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ESDragon
All these threads about these tranny failures is really depressing me. I will be picking my ES in less than 2 weeks and I am really having second thoughts making my purchase.
ES, there are A LOT of them out here with no problems, including the transmission issue. Don't worry about it and enjoy your new car.
Old 03-10-07, 09:03 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
RX's as well are known to have premature tranny failure (non hybrid). The IS/GS/LS are your best bets.
the RX? really? can you lead me to some info regarding that?
Old 03-10-07, 10:28 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

regaring the RX, i've only heard about late late model rx300s having tranny failure when being towed.
Old 03-10-07, 10:36 PM
Lex13
Rookie

A newbie, here.

Thank you!
If it's on EBay and the build date is 07/06 or earlier, I'd leave it alone. I'd bet the one you are looking at has a build date of 04/06 or 05/06. Believe me, no one is going to get rid of an isssue-free 2007 ES350. Check with your local Lexus dealership because a new Premium Plus ES may not be that far off from the ones on EBay.

I've only had my ES for two and a half weeks. Maybe that's not enough time for problems to rear their heads yet. I can tell you this though; I'm enjoying this vehicle immensely. From the 17 degree test drive on snowy/bumpy St. Louis roads last month to the 64 degree joy-ride through southern Illinois yesterday, my new car has been dead solid perfect. No loud engine noise, no transmission flares, no squeaks, no rattles, no wind noise. This car is, by far, the crown jewel of my three Toyota vehicles. I’m expecting a lot from this ES because both of my Camrys have been such stellar performers that they are considered part of the family (Valerie – 1992 and Nona – 1998). They don’t give me any headaches at all and after getting over my initial apprehensiveness about the ES350, I’m looking forward to the same blissful relationship with our newest family member (Maria).

Use the information that’s available on this forum to thoroughly inspect your new car before taking delivery. Thanks to those posters who have suffered through so many problems with their ESs, you will know exactly what to look for and what to look out for. You know you love this car already. That’s why you chose to spend your hard earned money for it. It’s not time to worry; it’s time to look forward to getting into your brand new Lexus in a couple of weeks. I hope that your buying/owning experience with your new car goes as well as mine did. Heck, I’d like to wish my good fortune on ALL future ES350 purchasers.

With less than 1000 miles on my Lexus, some may say that it’s too early for me to be blowing my horn about what a great car it is. Maria might just start rattling tomorrow or might develop tranny issues next week. A plane might crash into my house tonight too (I live near an Air Force Base). All of these are totally possible but life is way too short to worry about them. Enjoy that new ES.
Old 03-10-07, 10:54 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

It sounds like your chances of getting an es350 with a normal transmission is better than getting an es350 with a slipping transmission. However, if you get an es350 with a "problem" transmission, it will be a long road to recovery. At least the information of defective transmissions is out there and you can make your own decision on whether to purchase.

I'll be glad when my buyback is complete and I'll be driving my ls460 instead of my es350 with its second slipping transmission.
Old 03-11-07, 06:11 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

The author of this thread was looking at a used ES that has had a known tranny issue. You are buying new.
Old 03-11-07, 06:51 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lex13
If it's on EBay and the build date is 07/06 or earlier, I'd leave it alone. I'd bet the one you are looking at has a build date of 04/06 or 05/06. Believe me, no one is going to get rid of an isssue-free 2007 ES350. Check with your local Lexus dealership because a new Premium Plus ES may not be that far off from the ones on EBay.
Lex,

Not sure who gave you the misinformation about 07/06 build dates and prior or after that date but there is no significance about that date at all. We have more recent build months with transmission issues reporting them, as 09/06, 10/06, 11/06, 12/06 and as well those getting a replacement transmission within the last month reporting failures.

Northwest1 can review the 2nd Transmission poll here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=264465
Old 03-11-07, 07:12 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

If you are having second thoughts, nobody would fault you for them given the issues buyers experience. It was suggested months ago to wait for the 08 release so that maybe the various issues would be addressed in those. If you decide to go ahead take advantage of the prepurchase checklist provided under thread..Preparing for arrival...authored by Vandam where members created a preview checklist to help others avoide getting one with most issues possible.

If you decide to wait: It is not just transmission you should look for some notice of new manufacturer for those for the 08 model, but also watch for a TSIB on wind noise and a TSIB on diesel engine knocking, you don't want either of those in good measure in a vehicle either.
Old 03-11-07, 08:47 AM
nyardich
Driver

Smile My ES350

My 03/06 build, purchased in May 2006 is the best car I have ever owned.
I now have 12000 miles on it and have driven it in all kinds of weather.
I get a steady 23 plus miles per gal in town and 33 plus on highway.
I Bought it for all the bells and whistles as well as how much I loved my 2003 ES 300, which was flawless from day one till I traded it for ES 350.
THis car has everything I would want on it. From Nav to backup camera to park assist and adaptive head lights, and on and on.
It's as if this car was designed for me. Oh yes Mp3 cd player. Yes on and on.
THe only problem I have is the Diesel like sound on cold start up, but it goes away after about 2 minutes and or warm up completed.
I also have a few cold weather creaks when going over bumpy roads coming from top center console. They say they can fix this on 15 K Maintenance.
As far as "Diesel noise" I can live with it as it is not fatal, if it were something would have broke by now.
The only problem I have is they "Lexus" all the way up to corporate say it is normal. I have had two loaners and they were perfect no diesel noise.
So, can't be normal.
Even with this problem I can live with it and would buy again.

Quick Reply: Considering purchase of used ES350