ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Brake squeal

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-07, 10:13 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Brake squeal

Finally a post that lives up to my name. Yeah right!

There have been two TSIBs concerning brake squea(k/l) on the ES-350s.
One in Sep '06 (front brakes) and one in Nov '06 (rear brakes).
Despite the TSIBs and the much later build date (mine is Dec-06), my brakes started squealing yesterday and today.

They exhibit the same symptoms as described in the TSIB (squealing when stopping and have almost completed stop, or braking in a parking lot.)

Reading other posts here I see that Toneman has/d the problem as well as Wanderer99 (on top of all his other woes).

The squeal at the moment is 'not bad', but as far as I know, brakes shouldn't squeal on a car that has less than 250 miles on it.
My '96 Camry's brakes never squealed in 11 years!

Can someone please explain what the Lexus dealer would do to stop this, in light of the fact that cars shipped after Nov already have the TSIBs implemented?
Is this a lube/spray job? Thanks!
Old 03-10-07, 10:30 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

amazing how lexus can't get the most fundamental components to work properly.

quality is going down the $h*tter
Old 03-11-07, 06:18 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
Finally a post that lives up to my name. Yeah right!

There have been two TSIBs concerning brake squea(k/l) on the ES-350s.
One in Sep '06 (front brakes) and one in Nov '06 (rear brakes).
Despite the TSIBs and the much later build date (mine is Dec-06), my brakes started squealing yesterday and today.

They exhibit the same symptoms as described in the TSIB (squealing when stopping and have almost completed stop, or braking in a parking lot.)

Reading other posts here I see that Toneman has/d the problem as well as Wanderer99 (on top of all his other woes).

The squeal at the moment is 'not bad', but as far as I know, brakes shouldn't squeal on a car that has less than 250 miles on it.
My '96 Camry's brakes never squealed in 11 years!

Can someone please explain what the Lexus dealer would do to stop this, in light of the fact that cars shipped after Nov already have the TSIBs implemented?
Is this a lube/spray job? Thanks!
A simple cleaning may do it. You can start by taking a hose and spray inside your wheels. You may just have some dirt in there.
Old 03-11-07, 07:20 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw a post on GS forum about this, one had a rock fly up and it was stuck making the noise, but I see you are in the WAY north country and another had said ice forming there on that thread. Maybe the heat of the brakes is melting snow and when you park it reforms as ice and squeaks for the first minute or two???
Old 03-11-07, 10:58 AM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
... another had said ice forming there on that thread. Maybe the heat of the brakes is melting snow and when you park it reforms as ice and squeaks for the first minute or two???
Yes that's quite possible. The weather has been thawing out the past couple of days and the temp has been around the freezing mark.

Let's hope your theory 'holds water' so-to-speak

Or possibly MD350's cleaning idea might do the trick.

I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Old 03-11-07, 11:24 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would suggest cleaning the wheels at a diy car wash and if still squealing, back to the dealer and let them deal with it, esp with 250 miles on the car.
Old 03-14-07, 09:24 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NoiseFree--yeah, that would be me; of course, when I took mine to the dealer, it wasn't squealing at all. My guess as to what makes the squeal is--based on the info in the brake TSB--that, as heat generated from brake use is transferred to them, the brake pad clips heat up and expand just enough that they barely rub/vibrate against the rotor (which probably expands a wee bit from the heat also); it's that, and/or in combination w/ the possibility that the clips themselves aren't seated firmly enough in the caliper channel...thus there may be a bit too much free play in them. I think this might be a possibility, given that the TSB solution is to replace the pad clips w/ revised/updated ones.

Last edited by toneman; 03-16-07 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-15-07, 03:38 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Originally Posted by toneman
... My guess as to what makes the squeal is--based on the info in the brake TSB--that, as heat generated from brake use is transferred to them, the brake pad clips heat up and expand just enough that they barely rub/vibrate against the rotor ... it's that, and/or in combination w/ the possibility that the clips themselves are seated firmly enough in the caliper channel...thus there may be a bit too much free play in them.
Thanks Toneman, that sounds quite reasonable for an explanation too.
Tomorrow is my one month checkup and I've decided not to mention the squeal at this visit. It's not happening all the time and I'm not too keen on them opening up my brakes and messing with them if not absolutely necessary.

I will keep my ear open for it and note any occurrences for a future visit. With any luck it may just fade away.

I definitely want to get all my 'Personalized Settings' taken care of tomorrow.