ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Potential insight on trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-07, 11:42 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Bob about the es being made in Japan.

CIP, do you have further information about the actual problem and how this is fixed for new vehicles?
Old 03-13-07, 11:43 AM
cip
Pole Position

Default Potential insight on trans issue

Guys-

Just wanted to offer some potential insight on the ES350 trans slipping (flare). I finally had the time to go to a dealer I’ve worked with since ‘94. I went in for service on my car & had the lead tech go for a ride with me. I casually inquired about the trans problems (he laughed when I called it a flare. He said a more accurate description would be like having a stall speed between the gears where rpm spins up then the gear engages). He’s been a tech there for 10+ years & I have no reason to doubt his statements, but take them as you like:
  • issue has been traced to the KY factory
  • affects about 10,000 vehicles
  • As to why some people received offers to get a new ES versus a new trans is that it took them quite a while to identify what component(s) (hardware & software) failed and the stock of new transmissions couldn’t keep up with problem vehicles
  • Issue has been addressed so new cars will not have the problem
I hope this works out for you guys, it’s frustrating for me to read your experiences let alone what you're going through dealing with them.
Old 03-13-07, 11:43 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cip
Guys-

Just wanted to offer some potential insight on the ES350 trans slipping (flare). I finally had the time to go to a dealer I’ve worked with since ‘94. I went in for service on my car & had the lead tech go for a ride with me. I casually inquired about the trans problems (he laughed when I called it a flare. He said a more accurate description would be like having a stall speed between the gears where rpm spins up then the gear engages). He’s been a tech there for 10+ years & I have no reason to doubt his statements, but take them as you like:
  • issue has been traced to the KY factory
  • affects about 10,000 vehicles
  • As to why some people received offers to get a new ES versus a new trans is that it took them quite a while to identify what component(s) (hardware & software) failed and the stock of new transmissions couldn’t keep up with problem vehicles
  • Issue has been addressed so new cars will not have the problem
I hope this works out for you guys, it’s frustrating for me to read your experiences let alone what you're going through dealing with them.
I agree with what he said as to laughing about it being called flare which pertains to what you see on tachometer rather than an accurate description fof what is mechanically going on which is what he described for you.

I also agree with the estimated number involved, I believe more are involved actually, but these are built in Japan not in Kentucky.

I do not agree it has been addressed so as not to happen to newer vehicles as we have numerous reporting failures.
Old 03-13-07, 11:48 AM
cip
Pole Position

Thanks for the feedback, but on the people still reporting failures are they cars that were built in the last few months? He did not give me an exact date that production stopped and when they began building the transmissions with updated build, but he did say "cars being built now are fixed". So yes you would see cars where this issue is still cropping up based on whenever the manufacturing was changed.
Again, I don't have this problem, but I feel for those going through it. Have any of the "inside" people chimed in yet?
I will look further, but he did say the KY plant. While I know the car is built in Japan, that is not to say all components are built /assembled there.
Old 03-13-07, 11:55 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

cip,

Sorry, forgot to thank you for being thoughtful to have asked about this even though you don't have the problem yourself. He may have been off on where they are built and may have felt the VIN # stuff mentioned on more recent TSIB implied to him something new as regards newer cars though we have seen otherwise.
Old 03-13-07, 11:58 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cip
Thanks for the feedback, but on the people still reporting failures are they cars that were built in the last few months? He did not give me an exact date that production stopped and when they began building the transmissions with updated build, but he did say "cars being built now are fixed". So yes you would see cars where this issue is still cropping up based on whenever the manufacturing was changed.
Again, I don't have this problem, but I feel for those going through it. Have any of the "inside" people chimed in yet?
I will look further, but he did say the KY plant. While I know the car is built in Japan, that is not to say all components are built /assembled there.
We have members report the "newer" transmissions fail, as I mentioned, he may himself have noticed the VIN cut-off and felt it had been addressed as we originally did until members reported otherwise.
Old 03-13-07, 12:31 PM
cip
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
We have members report the "newer" transmissions fail, as I mentioned, he may himself have noticed the VIN cut-off and felt it had been addressed as we originally did until members reported otherwise.
Ah man that's lame. So still, no concrete answers from some of the Lexus insiders on this forum?

If I get out there again, I'll see if I can get more specific info.
Old 03-13-07, 12:34 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cip
Ah man that's lame. So still, no concrete answers from some of the Lexus insiders on this forum?

If I get out there again, I'll see if I can get more specific info.
Buy your contact a steak dinner for us all and then grill him like a tuna steak for more info

No concrete answers, actually your contact is in for surprise if he relied on the VIN cut-off as we originally did, tell him we fell for it too initially so don't feel bad.
Old 03-13-07, 12:52 PM
NGG
Pole Position

"Affects about 10,000 vehicles".

When is Toyota/Lexus going to step up to the plate and show some leadership and responsibility and issue a recall to all affected owners, including those who have bought "buyback/resale" vehicles. This issue just continues to get worse! I am glad I was able to get rid of my ES. I sure feel for those with the problems...especially those who are unaware of recourse available. Also it will surely hit at trade-in time, and by association, we will all suffer.

How the mighty have fallen!
Old 03-13-07, 02:06 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NGG

When is Toyota/Lexus going to step up to the plate and show some leadership and responsibility and issue a recall to all affected owners, including those who have bought "buyback/resale" vehicles. Also it will surely hit at trade-in time, and by association, we will all suffer.
I totally agree with the above and here is the number one reason I do:

Using my own manufacturing company as a contrast:

When quality control found an error, I ate the entire project, the labor, the materials, everything was an expense to me, if it was done on overtime, I ate that too, I could not resell any portion of the product.

In this case Lexus can repair these and resell them, repair them that is once there is a real fix for the issue, and they are not out all their material costs, all their labor costs.

If I could have done the above, resell a repaired item and recapture labor and materials, I'd do it in nanaosecond.

So it is a MAJOR convenience to Lexus to be in a position to be blessed with the ability to recapture base costs on a product they produced that was defective, many businesses cannot ever do that over a mistake they made.

On that basis: It is simply RUDE, or worse than rude, to put people through what they must experience when their transmission is hosed up.
Old 03-13-07, 04:35 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cip

Just an observation on dates and the so called fixed transmission cut off Vin# date.

From this post I may be able to get a better idea what he was talking about.

1. “but on the people still reporting failures are they cars that were built in the last few months?” My new car was built around January 18, 2007. The following day after taking ownership it had a tiny flare (100) next day none, then a few days later sub 200’s. I hope it’s due to learning but probably not. My Vin# ends in the low 93,100 to 93,300 I won’t say the exact last 3 number places. So it’s not perfect, probably not the fixed transmission there talking about. All though my fingers are crossed. My current miles are 160 miles on car.

2. “He did not give me an exact date that production stopped” The Japanese New year was the last week in January. (From my dealer) - the factory will be shut down during the new year holiday period for one week.

3. “but he did say "cars being built now are fixed".” If the above is true than the cars built in February or March are the car he’s talking about. So you have my VIN# to work with as to the cut off date. How many cars do they make a day?

Well anyway I hope the transmission is fixed.

Last edited by osokuko; 03-13-07 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-13-07, 04:46 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by osokuko
Just an observation on dates and the so called fixed transmission cut off Vin# date.

From this post I may be able to get a better idea what he was talking about.

1. “but on the people still reporting failures are they cars that were built in the last few months?” My new car was built around January 18, 2007. The following day after taking ownership it had a tiny flare (50) next day none, then a few days later sub 200’s. I hope it’s due to learning but probably not. My Vin# ends in the low 93,100 to 93,300 I won’t say the exact last 3 number places. So it’s not perfect, probably not the fixed transmission there talking about. All though my fingers are crossed.

Well anyway I hope the transmission is fixed.
Osokuko,

Are you saying that your transmission should NOT be within the Vin# range according to the latest TSB? According to the latest TSB, only cars with Vin #'s before 64,871 are included in the transmission slipping problem.

By the way, IMHO it is not normal for the transmission to slip 200 rpm between gears. I could understand the car not down-shifting fast enought while "learning" but..the transmission slipping should not be part of the "learning" cycle.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-07, 05:01 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2007es350
Osokuko,

Are you saying that your transmission should NOT be within the Vin# range according to the latest TSB? According to the latest TSB, only cars with Vin #'s before 64,871 are included in the transmission slipping problem.

By the way, IMHO it is not normal for the transmission to slip 200 rpm between gears. I could understand the car not down-shifting fast enought while "learning" but..the transmission slipping should not be part of the "learning" cycle.

Thanks!

Yes that’s what I’m saying this new car does have a small flare. Also I noticed in the Camry guys they have had the same thing. Ok so now were looking at a so called fixed trans being installed in the new build cars, But I must have just missed the fix trans by a few weeks.

200 flare doesn’t bother me to much if it stays at 200 I can live with that, and if there is a fixed transmission now, I’ll get that one later and be done with this issue.
Old 03-13-07, 05:08 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by osokuko
Yes that’s what I’m saying this new car does have a small flare. Also I noticed in the Camry guys they have had the same thing. Ok so now were looking at a so called fixed trans being installed in the new build cars, But I must have just missed the fix trans by a few weeks.

200 flare doesn’t bother me to much if it stays at 200 I can live with that, and if there is a fixed transmission now, I’ll get that one later and be done with this issue.

oso...,

You didn't miss anything, you have the implied latest and greatest version and that is the problem, it slips too.
Old 03-13-07, 05:17 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Well, if I didn’t have bad luck I’d have no luck! Lol.

Quick Reply: Potential insight on trans issue