ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Road noise (tire noise)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-07, 09:15 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jjbodean
i think the longer you have them the more youll find that the toyos are crap. we got more complaints out of them on the es330 than any other tire out there.
"Crap", in what way(s)? That's a pretty broad statement to make w/o explaining in somewhat detail; that's like someone saying that the ES 350 is crap--such a statement has no justification unless it is explained as to why one chooses to feel that way.
Old 03-17-07, 04:54 PM
Citylights
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jjbodean
i think the longer you have them the more youll find that the toyos are crap. we got more complaints out of them on the es330 than any other tire out there.
Having driven the car extensively on both the Toyo's & Michelin's, for me the Toyo's are easily superior in just about every important aspect (ride, noise, & handling). I suspect that most of the complaints about the Toyo's center around tread life. As summer tires, they don't last as long as All-Seasons. But, I knew that before changing tires. My guess is that many of the ES owner's are clueless regarding this fact.
Old 03-23-07, 11:28 AM
dgrady42
Driver School Candidate

Default Tire noise and pressure

All,

I noticed a lot of talk about the tire noise and tire pressure. I used to own a tire business so I am more than familiar with these issues. Here is some info you can use.

1. Rotating tires can cause tire noise to increase IF you don't rotate them often enough. Tire wear is directly related to the direction the tire is rotating while driving. If the rotation direction changes (if you take too long between rotations) noise can increase.

2. Proper tire inflation is directly relevent to tire wear and fuel economy. If you overinflate tires, they wear in the center and if you under inflate them, the edges wear. The same is true with fuel economy. Underinflated tires can decrease economy by as much as 10%.

3. Try nitrogen inflation in your tires. I sold this as an option at my tire business. Because compressed air contains moisture it is succeptable to presure changes with tenperature changes. Nitrogen does not change pressure with the temperature. It also runs cooler than compressed air and COMPLETELY non flamable. Customers that tried this on one vehicle usually came back and had other cars done as well. If you have nay questions on this last issue, feel free to write.
Old 03-24-07, 09:05 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dgrady42
3. Try nitrogen inflation in your tires. I sold this as an option at my tire business.
A worthwhile suggestion but definitely not worth paying for, IMHO...not unless you're charging only a couple of bucks at most for it.
Old 03-24-07, 04:05 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrady42
Nitrogen does not change pressure with the temperature.
Only if you've found a way to suspend the laws of physics.

pV=nRT

p = pressure
v = volume
n = moles of gas
R = the gas constant
T = temperature

Nitrogen reacts to temperature exactly the same as regular air.
Old 03-28-07, 03:12 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dreyfus
Only if you've found a way to suspend the laws of physics.

pV=nRT

p = pressure
v = volume
n = moles of gas
R = the gas constant
T = temperature

Nitrogen reacts to temperature exactly the same as regular air.
I was gonna offer a similar response, except I couldn't quite remember the formula...but I do remember that the pressure of just about any gas can be affected by temperature. What dgrady42 should have more specifically stated was that the effect of temperature on the change/rate of pressure of nitrogen is different from that of the typical air that is pumped into our tires...or something along those lines (maybe "effect" isn't the proper word to use in this context).