ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Personalized Settings

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-07, 08:06 PM
autiger71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Just for some clarification. I had my telescopic steering disabled from day one when I picked up my car".
Will your steering wheel adjust when you press one of the buttons on the drivers door?
Do you know how they disabled this feature?
Old 03-22-07, 08:41 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by autiger71
"Just for some clarification. I had my telescopic steering disabled from day one when I picked up my car".

Will your steering wheel adjust when you press one of the buttons on the drivers door?
Do you know how they disabled this feature?
I don't know where the buttons are located to adjust the steering wheel (I haven't checked yet) but according to my salesman I can still make steering wheel adjustments despite the tele. having been disabled.
It's been in a good position since I picked up the car so I haven't really seen a need to adjust/experiment with it.

I don't know what they did exactly to disable the tele. steering but it was a key request in my buying my car. It's something like a $200-300 adjustment.
Old 03-23-07, 10:18 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NoiseFree
I don't know where the buttons are located to adjust the steering wheel (I haven't checked yet) but according to my salesman I can still make steering wheel adjustments despite the tele. having been disabled.
There's a fairly large squarish **** on the left side of the steering wheel column that adjusts the steering wheel.

I've long heard the same whirring motor noise after turning off the engine. It sounds like it's coming from the dash in front of the driver but like you said, it's hard to track down.

I've no idea what it might be.
Old 03-24-07, 05:35 PM
NoiseFree
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dreyfus
There's a fairly large squarish **** on the left side of the steering wheel column that adjusts the steering wheel.

I've long heard the same whirring motor noise after turning off the engine. It sounds like it's coming from the dash in front of the driver but like you said, it's hard to track down.

I've no idea what it might be.
Thanks for the tip on the steering adjustment ****.

Today I had another breakthrough!
This one's related to the motor whirring noise I hear after turning off the engine.

I owe credit to JerFitz for his post earlier today in the other P-Settings thread.

"Try this. Do NOT have your headlights on AUTO. My point is that, maybe, during your morning commute as you go under an overpass your headlights...
JerFitz"

That got me thinking. Gee, I've had my AUTO lights on pretty much from day one. What if.....

I had an appointment today at the Lexus dealer's to get to the bottom of this noise. I got in my car and turned off the AUTO headlights right away, then stopped on the side of the road and turn off the engine. I still heard the sound but it seemed a little shorter/quieter. On to the dealer's in another city (35 min. drive).

A Lexus mechanic comes out and sits in the passenger seat to witness the sound. It's gone! OK, first time's a fluke right? 2nd, 3rd, 4th time, it's gone!
I'm a bit puzzled. I ask him to stand outside thinking maybe his sitting in the seat is triggering something (you never know, think air bags).
It's still gone!

My conclusion: it had to be the AUTO lights.

LexBob2 was onto the answer in his post earlier, but I didn't connect the dots.

Static, wishihad1, and dreyfus do you by any chance have your lights set to AUTO? If you say no, I'll be totally at a loss for what's happening.

One more thing. On top of the noise that I am referring to, there is another noise very similar to it, just a little fainter, and it starts at around 45 seconds or so after you turn off the engine, It lasts for about 3 or 4 seconds. That noise is still there. Anyone know what that one's all about?

When I was speaking with the Lexus tech today he was telling me there are so many small motors/computer controls/ all inter-related, that it's mind boggling. Dozens and dozens of them. One won't do one thing until it checks with another part of the system etc.