ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Still No TSIB, Trade Or Buyback/Lemon Law?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-07, 07:25 AM
osokuko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
I have a negotiated deal for a new car which should be final, all things being equal, within 10 days!!!!

It might have otherwise been sooner but they are NOT used to cutting a significant check to the buyer
so the deal cannot be a final deal until then.

Alert: In approximately 10 business days there will likely be a "normally" operating ES350 on the market with very low miles and a spotless service record, Obsidian w/Cashmere

I decided to do this instead of subjecting myself to multiple service visits when it is clear ripping into my transmission will not offer any reliable solution and would instead severely devalue my car. Even if I lucked out and somehow ended up with a transmission that operated fine, a 1 in 10 chance it seems, I'd still be left with several times daily knocking tapping that is not normal for any car no matter who claims otherwise, and of course left with the "normal" wind noise that is anything but normal.

I will instead keep all receipts of the trade transaction so that when the class action mailing info on these transmissions hits my mailbox, like the oil gel one did years later pertaining to my 99 ES300 valve job, I will be ready.

Precisely the reason I’m out of the ES, life is much better now, so congratulations on the new future car you’ll be glad you did.
Old 03-31-07, 07:47 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by osokuko
Didn’t have the wind noise in my car but did have the road noise. Only coming from the right rear door. I looked at the rubber molding and found a 4” strip of mold at the bottom of the door near the tire well not secured to the door just kind of hanging there loose. That was going to be my next project – quite down the road noise. Of course I could solve the whole issue of wind, road, engine noise in a matter of moments by simply removing both hearing aids.
You know things are not good when you have to schedule a 'project' to try to make your car operate how it should! LOL.

Once again, congrats on the new car!
Old 03-31-07, 07:50 AM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

I have a negotiated deal for a new car which should be final, all things being equal, within 10 days!!!!
Congrats Bob on doing this. I am sure this new car will operate how a new car should

As you know, I won't be far behind you guys in leaving the ES...
Old 03-31-07, 08:11 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

It might have otherwise been sooner but they are NOT used to cutting a significant check to the buyer
so the deal cannot be a final deal until then.

Alert: In approximately 10 business days there will likely be a "normally" operating ES350 on the market with very low miles and a spotless service record, Obsidian w/Cashmere

I decided to do this instead of subjecting myself to multiple service visits when it is clear ripping into my transmission will not offer any reliable solution and would instead severely devalue my car. Even if I lucked out and somehow ended up with a transmission that operated fine, a 1 in 10 chance it seems, I'd still be left with several times daily knocking tapping that is not normal for any car no matter who claims otherwise, and of course left with the "normal" wind noise that is anything but normal.

I will instead keep all receipts of the trade transaction so that when the class action mailing info on these transmissions hits my mailbox, like the oil gel one did years later pertaining to my 99 ES300 valve job, I will be ready.
Congrats, Bob! What car have you decided to buy? Any other details you can share?

I'm still waiting for my ls460 to arrive....it should be here any day now.
Old 03-31-07, 08:33 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm pretty sure I know what you got, Bob, but I'll keep it to myself until you confirm. In any event, congrats!!!

e
Old 03-31-07, 09:25 AM
osokuko
Pole Position

Dang!! This thread is turning into the farewell thread, we all started here about the same time 10 months ago and were all leaving together. I wonder if there’s a message here?? Lol. A toast to all, bottoms up!
Old 03-31-07, 01:55 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ESDragon
Bob, exactly what car will you be getting? Sorry that you have all these problem with the ES. It is sharp looking car, but it is unacceptable with these flaws.
ES hope this answers your question and for the others since your's too.

I went with the 07 Accord V6 EXL after MUCH consideration of several types of cars.

Side note: MD saw your wife's choice of Pilot too, very nice.

I had gone from Accord to Lexus ES300 in 93 buying a 94 ES300 because the ES300 was a much better car as to quietness, ride quality and standard features.

That is no longer the case, oddly, standard on Accord V6 EXL is what you'd find standard in the ES350 and then even more like satellite radio and heated driver and passenger seats with controls at shift--easy reach and at 9,000 dollars less----though at first I did not think so as we kept testing cars using the valet key and I did not realize till later it was just the valet key...LOL... I thought I'd have to give up keyless entry.....it does have keyless entry, though key required ignition.

The best thing is ZERO diesel engine knocking tapping from cold start several times a day followed by absence of gale force wind noise. I cannot tell you what a relief it is not to hear that knocking tapping from cold start several times a day!!!!

There are other noticeable differences as well that would have you wondering too, like the leather quality in the seats and carpet quality, threw that last part in for dunno's observation and will defer to his validation if he goes and has a look at a V6 EXL.

The ES AC and power steering kick Honda rear, but not significantly so, enough to notice as Honda's steering is like European manufacturers, set and forget--no drifting, no pulling to one side and slightly stronger approach is required, VERY similar to my MB C240 steering. IMO Lexus has always had top of the line AC, none better, still true today.

The best thing, among many things, was that I was upfront about the issues with the ES, though do worry about the next guy who buys my ES350 in spite of my being upfront about it.
Old 03-31-07, 02:06 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Congrats, Bob. I'm glad everything has worked out for you. When I knew I would get a refund through the buyback program, I thought about the Accord EX-V6 too...it was very tempting. Unfortunately, I've just been too spoiled by the quiet, cushy ride of the ES350.
Old 03-31-07, 02:17 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2007es350
Congrats, Bob. I'm glad everything has worked out for you. When I knew I would get a refund through the buyback program, I thought about the Accord EX-V6 too...it was very tempting. Unfortunately, I've just been too spoiled by the quiet, cushy ride of the ES350.

Thanks,

I did consider the GS as e-man and others can attest, but in the end I could not justify spending even more money after what I had already spent and been put through, seen others put through, and simply to get a reliable transmission and away from that god awful knocking tapping engine noise followed by wind noise. The LS, sadly, seems it has it's own wind noise issue but would not have done that for the same spending more money reason anyway.
Old 03-31-07, 02:33 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

3rd time's the charm again. There's nothing like peace of mind.
When we buy lexus, we're really paying for the extra expensive service we get, and the longer warranty. but the accord should be reliable enough so that you shouldn't even have to bring it in for service.

when i test drove an accord a long time ago, i noticed the leather was soft enough. I dunno about now though. I've been looking at the G35 only, and the leather in that is nice and soft, and the car is fun to drive.
Old 03-31-07, 02:39 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dunnojack
3rd time's the charm again. There's nothing like peace of mind.
When we buy lexus, we're really paying for the extra expensive service we get, and the longer warranty. but the accord should be reliable enough so that you shouldn't even have to bring it in for service.

when i test drove an accord a long time ago, i noticed the leather was soft enough. I dunno about now though. I've been looking at the G35 only, and the leather in that is nice and soft, and the car is fun to drive.
I drove the 07 G35 too, a very nice car with great pickup and amazing brakes, do yourself a favor and go take another look at Accord, be sure it's the 07 V6 EXL, you will be very glad you did after noticing the pickup and the brakes, even if you end up in a G35. Let me know what you think if you do and of course now am curious and want a carpet report...LOL
Old 03-31-07, 06:25 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I went with the 07 Accord V6 EXL . . .
Exactly what I thought. Congrats Bob.

e
Old 04-01-07, 04:53 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by e-man
Exactly what I thought. Congrats Bob.

e
Thanks e and also for all your help along the way on here, and from other CL members past and present.
Old 04-01-07, 09:15 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Sorry about all your problems but I think you will be happy and I am happy for that all your headaches are gone. Sometimes peace of mind is worth every penny.
Old 04-01-07, 10:32 AM
BobBass
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Bob,

I, too, have considered the EXL, but unless I'm mistaken, you cannot get HID's in any Accord. Another negative is that it has a larger turning circle.

Are you saying that the Accord leather is equivalent to the ES? Did you have a UL with the aniline leather or a non-UL?

Finally, how would you compare the "ride comfort" of the EXL to the ES?

I'm not "beating up" the Accord - it is a fine automobile, built in the USA and has some advantages over the ES while selling for many $ less. The NAV is supposed to be one of the best OEM systems available anywhere.

One of my buddies who is more of a car fanatic than me keeps telling me I should go with the Accord. He says he sat in one in a showroom that had what must have been an aftermarket wood package that really dressed up the whole interior.

Good luck with your new vehicle. Sound like you're already very satisfied.

Quick Reply: Still No TSIB, Trade Or Buyback/Lemon Law?