ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Still No TSIB, Trade Or Buyback/Lemon Law?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-07, 11:03 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW, just returned from a business trip and was away from the forum for a few days. Bob, congrats!! You did what I have been thinking about doing, but may put some more miles on my ES before doing it. My tranny does not flair, so I am not in such an urgent situation.

The Honda is going to have a stiffer ride, yet handle better than the ES. The leather quality is more rugged than the ES, but the seats are still comfortable. It is a lot of car for the money!!

Bob, yes the Pilot is a nice vehicle and my wife loves it. It has the 3.5 V6 in it and no engine noise on that one either. Sort of sad when a Honda
Pilot's engine is quieter than a Lexus ES 350???!!!???

Not to mention the Accord has one of the highest resale values in the market. My brother in law has a 2002 Honda Accord EX-L V6 and it is still worth about $12K with 50K miles.

Bob, again congrats. Are you in the car now? Keep us informed on your owner experience.

Last edited by MD350; 04-01-07 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-01-07, 03:36 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobBass
Bob,

I, too, have considered the EXL, but unless I'm mistaken, you cannot get HID's in any Accord. Another negative is that it has a larger turning circle.

Are you saying that the Accord leather is equivalent to the ES? Did you have a UL with the aniline leather or a non-UL?

Finally, how would you compare the "ride comfort" of the EXL to the ES?

I'm not "beating up" the Accord - it is a fine automobile, built in the USA and has some advantages over the ES while selling for many $ less. The NAV is supposed to be one of the best OEM systems available anywhere.

One of my buddies who is more of a car fanatic than me keeps telling me I should go with the Accord. He says he sat in one in a showroom that had what must have been an aftermarket wood package that really dressed up the whole interior.

Good luck with your new vehicle. Sound like you're already very satisfied.
Turning radius is as you said not as tight I think you mean, and don't know about HID but neither of those would bother me in the least.

The leather is great and no did not have UL and the wood your friend mentioned must be standard as front sides and back have it, including passenger area in back.

The ride is a little stiffer than the ES a cross between ES and IS I'd say, but then I may not be the best to ask that because the ES had too soft a suspension in my first and what I'd say was about right in the 2nd but the difference is not objectionable unless you travel majority poorly laid brick streets as example then you might really have to more seriously compare the two.

This is odd and is not a complaint, just an observation, depending on the road surface type you will hear slightly more actual tire on road surface noise in the Accord BUT it totally depends on the type of road. From learning on here, at some point I could add dynamat to wheel wells but majority of roads I travel I am not noticing it that often. It is only slight depending on the surface but the trade off is easily lack of acceleration noise when accelerating.

I'd say drive them both within days of each other as well as other consideration for issues and take your time.
Old 04-01-07, 03:48 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MD350
WOW, just returned from a business trip and was away from the forum for a few days. Bob, congrats!! You did what I have been thinking about doing, but may put some more miles on my ES before doing it. My tranny does not flair, so I am not in such an urgent situation.

The Honda is going to have a stiffer ride, yet handle better than the ES. The leather quality is more rugged than the ES, but the seats are still comfortable. It is a lot of car for the money!!

Bob, yes the Pilot is a nice vehicle and my wife loves it. It has the 3.5 V6 in it and no engine noise on that one either. Sort of sad when a Honda
Pilot's engine is quieter than a Lexus ES 350???!!!???

Not to mention the Accord has one of the highest resale values in the market. My brother in law has a 2002 Honda Accord EX-L V6 and it is still worth about $12K with 50K miles.

Bob, again congrats. Are you in the car now? Keep us informed on your owner experience.
MD,

Thanks,

Yes I'm in the one that will be mine..if I did not have as many friends as I do who happen to have JD behind their name professionally it would be official, but I placed a condition that would make a lawyer PROUD that I listened to one for a change or should say hanging out with them something from their approach everything you are signing with extreme caution where money is concerned sunk in...

Yes, slightly stiffer ride but not something to even consider complaining about and cannot figure out where the engine acceleration sound went and of course zero knocking tapping, you do not hear the accel, or hardly do is more accurate, just like my 99 ES300
Old 04-05-07, 03:21 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all. My buyback is complete and it's finally over. I'm happy that Lexus has my ES350; I have my money back from the purchase; and I'm in my new car.

Good luck to those with transmission issues. Be persistent.
Old 04-05-07, 04:27 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Congratulations on your new car and I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it!
Old 04-06-07, 09:25 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

I forgot to mention...for those that are curious about my buyback.

Lexus Corp refunded my entire purchase price including CA sales tax and registration and did NOT charge me for mileage or use.
Old 04-06-07, 01:42 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2007es350
I forgot to mention...for those that are curious about my buyback.

Lexus Corp refunded my entire purchase price including CA sales tax and registration and did NOT charge me for mileage or use.
Sounds like you were treated very fairly. Congratulations, and I am jealous of your new ride..
Old 04-06-07, 04:53 PM
ESDragon
Driver

Thanks to all. My buyback is complete and it's finally over. I'm happy that Lexus has my ES350; I have my money back from the purchase; and I'm in my new car.

2007es350, glad your buyback is finally over. But I am curious exactly how long did it take you to have Lexus to give you the buyback? Was it in the 2 - 3 month period?
Old 04-06-07, 05:37 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Like I say - take the money and run like hell. You did it, Congratulations and I know your going to enjoy your new LS much more.

Last edited by osokuko; 04-06-07 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-06-07, 08:10 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ESDragon
2007es350, glad your buyback is finally over. But I am curious exactly how long did it take you to have Lexus to give you the buyback? Was it in the 2 - 3 month period?
My local dealership gave me a verbal commitment for the buyback as soon as they confirmed the transmission slipping which was on my first visit with this problem. When I dropped off my car, I was told about the Lexus Corp buyback program and that my dealership would have to confirm the transmission slipping and would then proceed with the buyback. Lexus Corp took a few months to complete all the paperwork and allocate another ES350 (which thankfully I didn't take). Before taking my replacement ES350, the Lexus Corp Rep told me that my replacement ES350 would most likely have same slipping transmission and that the slipping transmission would now be considered a "normal characteristic" of the ES350. Then the Lexus Corp Rep also offered me a refund and mentioned that Lexus would NOT provide further assistance on my replacement ES350 if/when the transmission of the new ES350 starts to slip again. The Lexus Corp Rep advised me to take the refund and buy a different car.

So basically I was told that Lexus Corp was replacing my car on the first visit to my dealership. Then it took a few more months to have the Lexus Corp Rep contact me and offer me a refund. Factor in another month to get my replacement car and to provide the refund.

I can't complain about the final result, because I basically drove a new car for almost 9 months for free. However, dealing with Lexus Corp can be painful and really really slow, because the communication channles are so poor.

But my local dealership (Lexus of Stevens Creek in San Jose, CA) has been great; they have been a true ally. I can't praise them enough. Almost only because of my local dealership, I have confidence in purchasing another Lexus.

ps- I have been told that the Lexus Corp buyback program for the slipping transmission has ended....but I don't know the most current status.
Old 04-06-07, 11:13 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

But my local dealership (Lexus of Stevens Creek in San Jose, CA) has been great; they have been a true ally. I can't praise them enough. Almost only because of my local dealership, I have confidence in purchasing another Lexus.
i wouldn't expect less. stevens creek is owned by Penske, who owns the large Longo Lexus down here in Socal.

Customer service is probably their priority.
Old 04-07-07, 05:32 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

My local dealership gave me a verbal commitment for the buyback as soon as they confirmed the transmission slipping which was on my first visit with this problem. When I dropped off my car, I was told about the Lexus Corp buyback program and that my dealership would have to confirm the transmission slipping and would then proceed with the buyback. Lexus Corp took a few months to complete all the paperwork and allocate another ES350 (which thankfully I didn't take). Before taking my replacement ES350, the Lexus Corp Rep told me that my replacement ES350 would most likely have same slipping transmission and that the slipping transmission would now be considered a "normal characteristic" of the ES350. Then the Lexus Corp Rep also offered me a refund and mentioned that Lexus would NOT provide further assistance on my replacement ES350 if/when the transmission of the new ES350 starts to slip again. The Lexus Corp Rep advised me to take the refund and buy a different car.

So basically I was told that Lexus Corp was replacing my car on the first visit to my dealership. Then it took a few more months to have the Lexus Corp Rep contact me and offer me a refund. Factor in another month to get my replacement car and to provide the refund.

I can't complain about the final result, because I basically drove a new car for almost 9 months for free. However, dealing with Lexus Corp can be painful and really really slow, because the communication channles are so poor.

ps- I have been told that the Lexus Corp buyback program for the slipping transmission has ended....but I don't know the most current status.
Wow, so they admitted that the slip is a normal characteristic of the transmission. Funny how many sales people, service managers and advisors did not get that memo.

Last edited by MD350; 04-07-07 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-07-07, 05:46 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MD350
Wow, so that admitted that the slip is a normal characteristic of the transmission. Funny how many sales people, service managers and advisors did not get that memo.

I think they got the memo, only translated it into response to customer claiming slipping= "you have the most state of the art transmission"=normal characteristic="It's learning"="you don't know how to operate a Lexus"="The gasoline you are using could be the cause of what you describe as flare"=normal characterisitc
Old 04-07-07, 07:01 AM
osokuko
Pole Position

Same here, read my post in "Share your ES350 Experience!!!" the same remarks, "ES350 would most likely have same slipping transmission and that the slipping transmission would now be considered a "normal characteristic" of the ES350." Didn't know buy backs are no more though.
Old 04-07-07, 08:36 AM
ESDragon
Driver

I don't think I can tolerate 9 months just for them to take the car back. It is great that they refund everything you pay for, but driving a car that has this "unsafe" feature everyday is totally unacceptable. I will be pushing Lexus as hard as I can to get them to buy this car. Enough is enough, nobody should need to deal with this on such an expensive car. I wonder what is the trade in value for the ES? If Lexus doesn't come through with this, I would rather take a small hit and get on with my life.

Quick Reply: Still No TSIB, Trade Or Buyback/Lemon Law?