ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Ipod Car chargers

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-07, 11:58 PM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ipod Car chargers

If I get an ipod car charger, I can charge it AND play it through the auxiliary input jack right?
Old 03-26-07, 01:32 AM
static
Driver

yep, both connections are in the console.

if you really want to integrate your ipod into the audio system, take a look at the VAIS units.
Old 03-26-07, 05:30 AM
MShybrid
Pole Position

I believe you may need to get another wire to go between the IPOD and the supplied port. I don't think the standard IPOD to USB connector will work.
Old 03-26-07, 08:44 AM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

If you are going to use the "stock" setup you will need a car charger for the power that plugs into the base of the iPod and a 3.5 mm stereo mini patch card for the aux to headphone out of the iPod. Like hybridhaul said, it's two wires. Also recall that you will control the iPod with the ipod itself; the steering wheel controls like track select will not work.

I use the VaisTech unit. It charges the iPod, makes the audio connection, and allows me to control the iPod through the Nav system and steering wheel controls. Note - the speed lockout "features" are not overridden by the VaisTech unit. It is, in fact, handicapped, by Mrs. Lexus' shortsightedness.
Old 03-26-07, 09:07 AM
Driver School Candidate

Thanks I'll take a look at at the vais unit.
Old 03-27-07, 10:17 AM
weinrdog
Driver School Candidate

I use this unit from Belkin + a mini-jack to plug from the base of the charger into the aux port. I do still have to control the i-pod from it's panel, but I get all I-Pod functions, with just 1 wire coming out of armrest. It's not as ideal as the VAIS unit, but not a bad solution.
Old 03-27-07, 11:12 AM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 88888888
Thanks I'll take a look at at the vais unit.
There's currently a group buy for the VaisTech unit ($210) through April 2. The promo code is HE07FVT.
Old 03-27-07, 03:03 PM
stanturk
10th Gear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I use this unit from Belkin + a mini-jack to plug from the base of the charger into the aux port. I do still have to control the i-pod from it's panel, but I get all I-Pod functions, with just 1 wire coming out of armrest. It's not as ideal as the VAIS unit, but not a bad solution.

I do the same. The mini plug runs from the belkin unit directly to the mini jack input in the armrest. So there's only one plug to the iPod. Also, the 12v DC in the armrest is "switched" so the iPod automatically turns off when you turn the engine off. You do have to press "play" when you start the car again.
Old 03-29-07, 06:37 AM
golfer1952
Driver School Candidate

What is a VAIS unit and is there a site to look at it?
Old 03-29-07, 09:07 AM
gmark2000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by psp
I use the VaisTech unit.... Note - the speed lockout "features" are not overridden by the VaisTech unit. It is, in fact, handicapped, by Mrs. Lexus' shortsightedness.
Can you elaborate? I want to be sure of the VaisTech's shortcomings before I order a unit tonight.
Old 03-29-07, 07:53 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. The website is www.vaistech.com

2. The unit is a relatively small box that can be fitted inside the dash or other parts of the car. It has a male connector that fits into the base of the ipod. Depending how it is set up and what options you have in the car you will be able to control the iPod from the steering wheel and radio controls. The Vaistech unit also charges the iPod. Pretty neat and the sound, even from .mp3 files, is really darn good (I'm satisfied). I have the ML system and I usually am listening to the iPod rather than Sirius, DVD or FM. {This isn't quite true; I switch between the Sirius and the iPod}

3. Bad parts

a. You have to decide where to put the thing. Since you never have to touch the iPod there are many options. Mine is in the dash and the connector comes into the glove box. I leave the iPod in there. Some folks put the iPod in the center console. Others put it in the trunk.

b. The speed lockouts on the Nav do affect the accessibility of the direct access of the iPod. So if you are stopped you may access the files directly. If moving I need to scroll using the "disc change" switch and the "track select" switch for specific songs. This is the fault of Mrs Lexus, not Vaistech or iPod.

c. If you should happen to leave the iPod equalizer on in say "classical" mode you may overdrive your woofer or force the amp into clipping. Since you cannot control the iPod directly on the iPod while it is connected to the Vaistech unit, disconnection of the iPod is required. You can control volume and track selection with the cars controls.

d. All of your songs need to be in playlists. Not difficult but still a nuisance.

One of the features of the Vaistech unit was that it was supposed to get rid of the "I agree" screen on the Nav system. It did not in my case. (No big deal). What we all really want is the unit from Coastaletech but they do not make that for us yet. Go to their website and see.
Old 03-31-07, 01:39 PM
dreyfus
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by psp
One of the features of the Vaistech unit was that it was supposed to get rid of the "I agree" screen on the Nav system. It did not in my case. (No big deal). What we all really want is the unit from Coastaletech but they do not make that for us yet. Go to their website and see.
All of the VaisTech units now have the I AGREE autoselect feature. You can send your older unit back in for the added logic. I did and they added it for free.

They now sell an upgrade cable for $50 that plugs into the unit and your computer (laptop) to allow you to upgrade the firmware from files downloadable from their site. The concept is great. The cost is too high.

Overcoming the stupid Lexus nanny lockouts on viewing and selecting songs while driving was the main reason I came up with the physical NAV hack switch. It bothered me that much.
Old 04-13-07, 05:34 AM
MShybrid
Pole Position

Originally Posted by weinrdog
Do you have a part number for the Belkin kit that you use? I would like to get up one prior to picking up our new Lex.
Old 04-19-07, 08:44 AM
thegoodlif
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by weinrdog
Do you actually close the armrest with a cable coming out? I have been afraid to do that as it seems like it would damage the cable.
thx!

Aquamarine/Ivory
Old 04-20-07, 06:35 AM
weinrdog
Driver School Candidate

Do you have a part number for the Belkin kit that you use?
The part number is on the linked page just below the product name. I picked mine up at Target.

Do you actually close the armrest with a cable coming out?
I do close the armrest with the cable coming out the front, generally near one side. The latches for the armrest are at the rear. It just takes a little extra push to close. I've not had an issue with any damage to the cable for the last 6 months.

Last edited by weinrdog; 04-20-07 at 06:36 AM. Reason: missing word

Quick Reply: Ipod Car chargers