ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

When will this crap end?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-07, 11:23 AM
ESDragon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Making the appointment with another dealer might work or at least if not it goes as another attempt for down the road Lemon Law.

I decided it was not worth the length of time going through a 2nd time in my case and will instead just report both my vehicles by their VIN to NHTSA so there is at least an official record of them and since others have already reported their's to that federal agency, maybe they will do more to investigate this.
Bob, I just check the NHTSA site and narrow the search down to the ES350 and there quite a few other people who is having this flaring issue. Really pisses me off even more when reading through their experiences. I don't mind filing a complaint, but what will NHTSA actually do? Investigate and will they contact me with the results?
Old 04-11-07, 12:46 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garsarno
Friends of ours bought the BMW 530 AWD instead of the ES350. Doing my part.
If you would of been a good friend, you would of tell them to get GS350AWD (lots more power/torque, more luxurious inside, softer ride, superior awd performance, and cheaper )
Old 04-11-07, 12:54 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twister
If you would of been a good friend, you would of tell them to get GS350AWD (lots more power/torque, more luxurious inside, softer ride, superior awd performance, and cheaper )
exactly what i was thinking....
Old 04-11-07, 03:32 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not from my local Lexus dealership, the ones that tell me that the cold engine knock is the fuel injection (and they all make that noise) and when my first transmission flare started up, that it was normal. Sorry but I will not reward that Lexus franchise with recommendations. The Jeep franchise of this same mega dealership in Wilkes Barre, PA - recommend absolutely!
Old 04-11-07, 11:11 PM
909dude
Driver School Candidate

I for one refuse to do business with Lexus anymore. Why reward them for shafting so many customers.
Old 04-12-07, 04:38 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ESDragon
Bob, I just check the NHTSA site and narrow the search down to the ES350 and there quite a few other people who is having this flaring issue. Really pisses me off even more when reading through their experiences. I don't mind filing a complaint, but what will NHTSA actually do? Investigate and will they contact me with the results?
I also had read the filed reports and it is disturbing, particularly the guy whose videotape was ignored and left stuck in a car. The 07 Camry which shares our transmission is even more alarming as to reports filed, several with injuries.

I'm not sure exactly what they do though like me you may have gotten a sense from reading there is some form of investigation done even if limited to requiring a report back from dealer service which may help some caught up in the nightmare of trying to get it resolved simply by additional pressure placed.
Old 04-12-07, 06:17 AM
ESDragon
Driver

Default Update: 4/11/07 9:00am

I just came back from the other dealership. I sat with the head tech there and took it for a test drive. No flare again, but he said that he knows about the flare since at least one ES owner comes to his dealership every 2 weeks and complaint about this. He pretty much said that the ES uses a drive by wire design instead of the traditional drive by throttle. So basically, this is the "normal characteristic" for the ES. I am at a point that it is hopeless that this will ever be a fixed. There was no point for me to share my frustration, but I did tell him that the ES is a piece of *****! He will submit a complaint for me to Lexus and hopefully they will have a software update to fix this, but he did tell me that it will be a while if Lexus ever come up with a update for this. I will give another couple of weeks and see if Lexus Corp will do anything. If not, I will take a big hit and get another car. SHAME ON LEXUS TO DO THIS TO THEIR CUSTOMERS. SHAME ON ME TO ACTUALLY BUY THIS VEHILCLE.

Last edited by ESDragon; 04-12-07 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-12-07, 09:21 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ESDragon
I just came back from the other dealership. I sat with the head tech there and took it for a test drive. No flare again, but he said that he knows about the flare since at least one ES owner comes to his dealership every 2 weeks and complaint about this. He pretty much said that the ES uses a drive by wire design instead of the traditional drive by throttle. So basically, this is the "normal characteristic" for the ES. I am at a point that it is hopeless that this will ever be a fix for this. There was no point for me to share my frustration, but I did tell him that the ES is a piece of *****! He will submit a complaint for me to Lexus and hopefully they will have a software update to fix this, but he did tell me that it will be a while if Lexus ever come up with a update for this. I will give another couple of weeks and see if Lexus Corp will do anything. If not, I will take big hit and get another car. SHAME ON LEXUS TO DO THIS TO THEIR CUSTOMERS. SHAME ON ME TO ACTUALLY BUY THIS VEHILCLE.
Sounds like the same excuses I got with my wife's old 04 Sienna. Drive by wire, learning, etc. etc.

Are you getting the 1,000 RPM flare between 3rd and 4th in the morning or just small flares during normal driving conditions?
Old 04-12-07, 11:16 AM
ESDragon
Driver

Originally Posted by MD350
Sounds like the same excuses I got with my wife's old 04 Sienna. Drive by wire, learning, etc. etc.

Are you getting the 1,000 RPM flare between 3rd and 4th in the morning or just small flares during normal driving conditions?
I get the flares between 1k - 2k rpm flares at least twice a day. I usually get the flares when the car is HOT rather than when it is COLD.
Old 04-12-07, 11:25 AM
2007es350
Lead Lap

I would not accept the "drive by wire" excuse. There are a lot of cars that are drive by wire, and they don't have this problem. Just keep pushing back!
Old 04-12-07, 11:42 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2007es350
I would not accept the "drive by wire" excuse. There are a lot of cars that are drive by wire, and they don't have this problem. Just keep pushing back!
Interesting, your flares are when hot and not consistant with the common cold flare. Have you spoken to the sales manager or general manager of the dealership? While your miles are low, maybe they can get you into a GS or something?
Old 04-12-07, 03:06 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2007es350
YUP-ER-ONI! I'll drink to that!!!!

Duh?

My first car was a 1976 Pontiac Catalina that I bought for $300, it never SLIPPED once... And this is technology???

FWIW - My V6 Camry was my first long term experience with DBW, at first, reading the symptoms I had it was all too easy to blame DBW.... But then I rid myself of the Camry and bought an Acura TL.

The TL also has DBW - In all the time I've driven the TL (about the same as my Camry now) there hasn't been ONE INSTANCE where I thought to myself, "Gee that was odd, I wonder if that's because of the DBW?" or "I think it might be LEARNING?"

I'm still the same person, just two different cars... One works, the other doesn't, it's just THAT SIMPLE.

BTW - Anyone who is going to the dealership and are being told the transmission is "LEARNING."

Call their bluff, ask them to cite EXACTLY where it is written that the transmission learns... THEY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PRODUCE THIS INFORMATION!!!! why? BECAUSE THE U660E TRANSAXLE DOES NOT LEARN!!!! Instead it has what is called ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE and this works by interpreting various inputs INSTANTLY!

For example, AI knows to hold off shifting uphill, it also knows to downshift going downhill and coast on flat ground... IT DOESN'T LEARN THAT YOU WENT UP/DOWN A HILL 1000 MILES AGO.

P.S. I'm not YELLING - - I am emphasising.
Old 04-12-07, 03:21 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Very troublesome for those experiencing this as it certainly appears to be a genuine bug at the least. I am on my 5th Lexus and all have been astonishingly reliable, especially compared to my prior German, Domestic vehicles.
Lexus better get this corrected quick as all I see are customers going elsewhere to never look back.
Old 04-12-07, 04:53 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by onsknht
YUP-ER-ONI! I'll drink to that!!!!

Duh?

My first car was a 1976 Pontiac Catalina that I bought for $300, it never SLIPPED once... And this is technology???

FWIW - My V6 Camry was my first long term experience with DBW, at first, reading the symptoms I had it was all too easy to blame DBW.... But then I rid myself of the Camry and bought an Acura TL.

The TL also has DBW - In all the time I've driven the TL (about the same as my Camry now) there hasn't been ONE INSTANCE where I thought to myself, "Gee that was odd, I wonder if that's because of the DBW?" or "I think it might be LEARNING?"

I'm still the same person, just two different cars... One works, the other doesn't, it's just THAT SIMPLE.

BTW - Anyone who is going to the dealership and are being told the transmission is "LEARNING."

Call their bluff, ask them to cite EXACTLY where it is written that the transmission learns... THEY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PRODUCE THIS INFORMATION!!!! why? BECAUSE THE U660E TRANSAXLE DOES NOT LEARN!!!! Instead it has what is called ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE and this works by interpreting various inputs INSTANTLY!

For example, AI knows to hold off shifting uphill, it also knows to downshift going downhill and coast on flat ground... IT DOESN'T LEARN THAT YOU WENT UP/DOWN A HILL 1000 MILES AGO.

P.S. I'm not YELLING - - I am emphasising.
Well stated!! I agree 100%. My wife's Pilot does not slip either.
Old 04-12-07, 06:55 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Why go outside of Lexus family for slippage examples, or lack of them? I can't speak for all other models, but do you see any other section of CL forum talking about gear flares?!? I can only speak for my previous ES (with all its flares) and GS which never had a flare, cold or hot, snow or ice, rain or shine... Anyway, I still feel ES350 is a black sheep of this family

Quick Reply: When will this crap end?