Originally Posted by twister
Anyway, I still feel ES350 is a black sheep of this family
and yet, a cash cow.
Old 04-12-07, 09:35 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by twister
Why go outside of Lexus family for slippage examples, or lack of them? I can't speak for all other models, but do you see any other section of CL forum talking about gear flares?!? I can only speak for my previous ES (with all its flares) and GS which never had a flare, cold or hot, snow or ice, rain or shine... Anyway, I still feel ES350 is a black sheep of this family
Twister - give us a comparison of the two 6 speed transmissions. You've lived with the GS now for a while so you know its trans well. Is it like a night and day comparison with shifting, logic, etc?
Old 04-15-07, 07:08 AM
GumboChief
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
and yet, a cash cow.
Not spending research dollars, to fix an inherent flaw, can do wonders for the bottom line
Old 04-16-07, 12:44 AM
teamtbo
Driver School Candidate

ESDragon and others, you may find it easier to duplicate the shift flare if you drive up a moderate grade. The extra load it places on the tranny causes mine to flare (about 1000rpms) like clock work...I was able to video the shift flare several times.
Old 04-16-07, 12:45 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by teamtbo
ESDragon and others, you may find it easier to duplicate the shift flare if you drive up a moderate grade. The extra load it places on the tranny causes mine to flare (about 1000rpms) like clock work...I was able to video the shift flare several times.
Totally agree with you. Going up a slight grade will always produced a larger flare even when my car was warmed up.
Old 04-16-07, 01:52 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wanderer99
Twister - give us a comparison of the two 6 speed transmissions. You've lived with the GS now for a while so you know its trans well. Is it like a night and day comparison with shifting, logic, etc?
Night and day indeed!!! From the day I picked it up on November 26th right before Thanksgiving, I don't even know tranny exists LOL!!! I mean, before in ES I was "feeling" it and "seeing" it, but not with GS. Without looking at tachometer I don't even know when gears are shifting, very smooth!!! Of course, this is RWD/AWD tranny and not FWD, so it is mechanically different. Even so I only have 4.5k miles, the car went through a considerable *abuse* in every weather condition and still no problem. Makes you wonder what happened with ES tranny, and who did Lexus subcontracted that design?
Old 04-16-07, 03:44 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

I've only had my LS460 for about 2 weeks now. But the difference between shifting in the ES and LS is like night and day. In the LS, I can't even feel the transmission shifting gears under light or heavy acceleration. The engine in the ES had plenty of power. However, the transmission and engine in the LS have a very direct, responsive feel.
Old 04-16-07, 06:55 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Correct me if I'm wrong here: The LS and GS transmissions are Lexus only offerings. You can't get them in any other "cheaper" product line, correct?

With the ES the trans is a Camry transmission. It was designed for the Camry and uploaded to the ES. Maybe that right there is the problem. The Camry transmission is trying to play in a higher league.... and isn't doing too well at it.
Old 04-16-07, 07:48 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Yes your right, this isn’t a Lexus transmission problem, the ES trans was designed and I believe built by Toyota. So far all Lexus design and built trans work flawlessly. So I wonder who's engineers are responsible for fixing it?

Last edited by osokuko; 04-16-07 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-16-07, 08:28 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Default When will this crap end?

Been away from this forum for a while...ditched my ES350 lemon for an IS350.The answer to the post title is when we all stop buying ES350s!
Old 04-16-07, 11:36 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by osokuko
Yes your right, this isn’t a Lexus transmission problem, the ES trans was designed and I believe built by Toyota. So far all Lexus design and built trans work flawlessly. So I wonder who's engineers are responsible for fixing it?
Maybe this is a big part of the problem. Toyota sells a few hundred thousand Camrys. The trans has a problem... but they can pass it off as normal. Toyota moves forward and keeps building the existing trans design. Lexus therefore can't get a fix as the Camry operates "normally".

What is the latest on the Camry trans status?
Old 04-17-07, 05:46 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by osokuko
oso..,

If you open the driver door and look at the door jamb sticker, you will see Toyota Motor as manufacturer, not Lexus, they are one in the same. Toyota engineers are and have been the Lexus engineers.
Old 04-17-07, 06:25 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wanderer99
Maybe this is a big part of the problem. Toyota sells a few hundred thousand Camrys. The trans has a problem... but they can pass it off as normal. Toyota moves forward and keeps building the existing trans design. Lexus therefore can't get a fix as the Camry operates "normally".

What is the latest on the Camry trans status?
It's still FUBAR, just like the ES... FWIW - I brought up this very point monthls and months ago. Introducing the U660E transaxle in the Camry/ES line had to be a strategic move based on some number crunching and 'economies of scale.'

Why not the Avalon?

Why not just the ES?

It is for all intents and purposes a "bleeding edge" transmission... When has Toyota ever pulled their newest tricks out on the CAMRY?

BTW - The Camry guys are damn defensive about their beloved Camrys, they're ignoring the problems mostly or downplaying them... I guess there's a "class difference" being noticed where guys who spend $25K on a car are less critical than those who spend near $40K for the same problems.
Old 04-17-07, 12:19 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by onsknht
BTW - The Camry guys are damn defensive about their beloved Camrys, they're ignoring the problems mostly or downplaying them... I guess there's a "class difference" being noticed where guys who spend $25K on a car are less critical than those who spend near $40K for the same problems.

that's a chuckle.
i remember reading on edmunds about people like that.

the more I read about ES problems, the more it reminds me & pisses me off that it's just a gussied up camry. So much money was saved on this model, since all lexus had to do was provide a different interior and sheet metal.
Old 04-17-07, 12:52 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
that's a chuckle.
i remember reading on edmunds about people like that.

the more I read about ES problems, the more it reminds me & pisses me off that it's just a gussied up camry. So much money was saved on this model, since all lexus had to do was provide a different interior and sheet metal.
Since day one, the ES has always been based on the Camry.

Quick Reply: When will this crap end?