ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Transmission Flare Solved

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-07, 05:09 PM
meadoel
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007es350
That's cool. I know where you are headed. You have reached a milestone when they admit there is a problem and are trying to fix it. If the fix doesn't resolve the problem....keep pursuing a fix for your transmission. Do I hear a buyback in your future?

That is what I'm expecting. I did all my reading on this board before I bought this car. So much so that I even talked with the sales people about the need for an extended drive to avoid rattles and flare. Because of that, I'm CONVINCED they drove the car that morning so it wouldn't slip.

If Lexus wants to do a buyback I'm all for it. I bought a Demo with 5k on it just to avoid the slip and rattles, both of which I now have.
Old 04-14-07, 05:34 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

FWIW - I been telling the Camry guys to get a "buyback clause" added to their purchase, not sure anyone has done it yet?

At any rate... Tell the sales manager you want one or no sale.

Toyota/Lexus should easily stand behind their product and accommodate a "90 day NO SLIP GUARANTEE on the U660E Transaxle?"

Chances are good no dealer will NOT accommodate this request.

Chances are even better when sales managers start reporting to Corporate that more and more people are demanding this guarantee OR NO SALE that Toyota/Lexus will FIX the PROBLEM.
Old 04-15-07, 09:55 AM
909dude
Driver School Candidate

I agree we all need to talk with our pocketbooks. The dollar is powerful. Afterall that's what is driving the Lexus corporate folks. Go look at an Infiniti.
Old 04-16-07, 09:06 AM
meadoel
Rookie

I got a call that my throttle body is in and that I should schedule the installation. I hope I can get it done this week and I'll report back the next day whether I have a transmission slip or not. It usually doesn't happen until the car has been sitting parked for 8 hours.

If it happens going out of the parking lot of the dealership, I'll bring it right back and ask them what the next step is because it's still not right. I fear the dreaded "performing as designed" speech.
Old 04-19-07, 05:10 PM
meadoel
Rookie

Here's my update.

1. It wasn't the throttle body they replaced. It was the transmission! All I had to do was tell my SM that my car had a 200rpm flare and he went right to replacing the transmission.

2. I didn't pick it up today. For the 2nd time, they did not work on a major rattle in the passenger seat belt assembly that drives me nuts. (The first time I took a tech for a ride and he heard it, yet they still don't even attempt to repair it.) I told them I won't pick it up until they fix the rattle, so hopefully that happens by COB tomorrow.

3. Question for those who've had their tranny replaced.... did you automatically get a 100k warranty? Did you have to ask for it?
Old 04-25-07, 06:05 PM
meadoel
Rookie

Default Update on new Transaxle

So I've driven my car with the new transaxle for 4 days. It definitely has a different sound to it than the original.

On two days - flawless. It drove like the Lexus I intended to buy.
On two days - it slipped. It only slipped for the first 3-4 shift and that's it, and it was a more mild slip than the first transaxle. It went about 200rpm and down quickly\smoothly.

Tomorrow they are picking up the car to (hopefully) fix the rattles. They are picking it up because I told them I wasn't driving there a 3rd time to fix the same rattle. (Last time the techs told me to wait until it gets louder then bring it in!)

So... what next? What do I tell the dealer (who'se been very cooperative about the slip) or Lexus? Got any idea what my options are now?
Old 04-25-07, 08:05 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

You might as well mention the slipping on the 2 out of 4 days. If it slips already, it won't get any better. This is how my second transmission started...slipping only part of the time with flaring up 200 rpm and then finally slipping every time within 6 weeks.
Old 04-26-07, 03:41 AM
meadoel
Rookie

I already did mention it to the Service Manager. I just don't know how hard to push now, or wait until it gets worse.
Old 04-26-07, 02:22 PM
GumboChief
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by meadoel
I already did mention it to the Service Manager. I just don't know how hard to push now, or wait until it gets worse.
You may as well wait to push. When it becomes readily reproducible, tell them it is no better than what they pulled out
Old 04-26-07, 07:24 PM
meadoel
Rookie

OK, so this is cool

Today Lexus picked up my ES350. My original reason for it was to fix the rattles in the front seatbelts (for the 3rd try) and to ground the line-in port.

When the SM called to update me she said "we're going to keep the car overnight for an extended drive tomorrow. The technician felt a hesitation and wants to investigate it further."

Now... THAT had me smiling! I was curious what exactly he felt because I've never sensed a hesitation. Did he mean the transmission slip or something else? Considering I've never had a slip without the car sitting for 8 hours I have to wonder.

Update
I got my car back today and they retracted what they told me yesterday. They said today the technician did NOT feel hesitation. Ah well... I guess I just have to wait for it to flare regularly and video tape it again.

Last edited by meadoel; 04-27-07 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Update
Old 05-01-07, 06:44 AM
meadoel
Rookie

Given my recent postings I decided to keep a digital camera in the car and film my first 3-4 shift each day. That's the wonderful thing about digital cameras - film it and delete it if you don't like it.

So today is day 1 of my new plan. And today it decides to flare 600 rpm. To some that's nothing. To me it's 3x what the original Transmission did.

I called my dealer. The SM just called back and asked me how fast I was going at the time (just over 30). He said "That must have been the 3-4 shift". I told him it always does it on 3-4. So he's on the phone with Lexus and will call me back with next steps.
Old 05-28-07, 05:18 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given my recent postings I decided to keep a digital camera in the car and film my first 3-4 shift each day. That's the wonderful thing about digital cameras - film it and delete it if you don't like it.

So today is day 1 of my new plan. And today it decides to flare 600 rpm. To some that's nothing. To me it's 3x what the original Transmission did.

called my dealer. The SM just called back and asked me how fast I was going at the time (just over 30). He said "That must have been the 3-4 shift". I told him it always does it on 3-4. So he's on the phone with Lexus and will call me back with next steps.
So this is the "D" ring slip I hear about? I called them today about buying my new ES and they said all these problems are fixed with recent cars.
What do you think M? My friend is picking up one this week
Old 05-28-07, 05:56 PM
meadoel
Rookie

I don't know what a "D" ring slip is. I can tell you the slip is better with the recent TSB (where they update the programming that controls how it shifts). Anyone who tells you the problems are fixed is either a prognosticator or a liar. My car still flares randomly so it's not fixed in my car, I I've had the most recent "fix" performed.

Not all ES350s have this problem. There is no guarantee your friends' car won't have it, with the sole exception of buying something else.

Last edited by meadoel; 05-29-07 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-29-07, 08:46 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what a "D" ring slip is. I can tell you the slip is better with the recent TSB (where they update the programming that controls how it shifts). Anyone who tells you the problems are fixed is either a prognisticator or a liar. My car still flares randomly so it's not fixed in my car, I I've had the most recent "fix" performed.

Not all ES350s have this problem. There is no guarantee your friends' car won't have it, with the sole exception of buying something else.
ok,thanks.
Old 05-29-07, 10:31 AM
lowrider
Driver School Candidate

OK, I currently do not have this problem right now but I am curious.

How do I find out the year and month of the production date of my ES350? Also, how do I find out what model transmission I have?

I purchased my ES350 on the 11th of May but it is the Ruby Red UL edition which was in the showroom. From what I've read on other threads, this color and model was one of the earlier editions and is no longer a standard make that you might find on the lot on an average visit to Lexus. It makes me worry that I have the "older stuff" on my car.

Again, I really don't feel any slip but with how new my car is now, I want too make sure I know what to look for if anything weird starts happening. Slips, Rattles, etc....

Quick Reply: Transmission Flare Solved