ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

How BIG is the Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-07, 10:10 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How BIG is the Problem???

Again, just sharing information here for those that are interested.

The Camry being a sibling of the ES350 also shares the same transaxle issues. There is a recent poll showing nearly a 50/50 split between trouble and no trouble...

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t188110.html
Old 04-20-07, 11:19 AM
BobBass
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

How big?

Big enough that, and it pains me greatly to say this, the ES350 is OFF the list of vehicles I am considering. In fact, I'd have a Ruby Red UL in my driveway right now if it weren't for this transmission issue.

It totally ticks me off because other than the lack of bi-xenon headlights and a heated steering wheel option, the ES is the PERFECT car at this stage in my life. It has EVERYTHING I'm looking for: FWD, luxury, smooth ride, <7 sec. 0-60 time, best mileage in its class, good turning radius, and decent styling.

I'm stuck getting jounced around in my '04 Maxima SE becuase Toyota can't build a reliable transmission for the Camry/ES?

ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!
Old 04-20-07, 11:26 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BobBass
ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!
I couldn't agree more... It's not as if there was a federal mandate to use drive-by-wire and 6-speed automatic transmissions. As such this is indicative of a major disconnect within Toyota for releasing this kind of crap before it's ready for primetime.
Old 04-20-07, 12:04 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How big?

Big enough that, and it pains me greatly to say this, the ES350 is OFF the list of vehicles I am considering. In fact, I'd have a Ruby Red UL in my driveway right now if it weren't for this transmission issue.

It totally ticks me off because other than the lack of bi-xenon headlights and a heated steering wheel option, the ES is the PERFECT car at this stage in my life. It has EVERYTHING I'm looking for: FWD, luxury, smooth ride, <7 sec. 0-60 time, best mileage in its class, good turning radius, and decent styling.

I'm stuck getting jounced around in my '04 Maxima SE becuase Toyota can't build a reliable transmission for the Camry/ES?

ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!
It's painful... but I think you're doing the right thing here. Others may disagree though.

If I loaned you my vehicle for a week you'd be glad you didn't buy the ES350.

One of our members with a fully working and flawless car would also loan you a car for a week, then you'd love it and totally want to buy it.

But what happens when you go to the Lexus dealer to buy the car? How can you get a 'good' one? You can't. Dealer will tell you the cars are all fine... they're wrong. If they could repair the cars - a working fix from Lexus - it wouldn't matter and we wouldn't be having this discussion. But you know they can't fix it....
Old 04-20-07, 01:02 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

How big?

ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!
Bob, have you considered some of the alternatives to the ES350? Infiniti G35, Acura TL, Hyundai Azera etc., they've all receieved generally good reviews/reports.

Personally, I'm more than pleased with my car, but I can see why you'd be leery of the ES at this point.

Last edited by LexBob2; 04-20-07 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-20-07, 01:17 PM
ESDragon
Driver

BobBass, get the new 07 Acura TL TypeS. You'll not regret it. My friend have one and I drove it and guess what... NO flaring whatsoever and it handles so much better. If Lexus ever buy my car back, that will be the car to get.
Old 04-20-07, 01:31 PM
BobBass
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you considered some of the alterntives to the ES350? Infiniti G35 Acura TL, Hyundai Azera etc., they've all received generally good reviews/reports.
All good suggestions. But (and these are only MY opinions and "requirements")...

G35 - RWD

Acura TL - larger turning radius, no OEM rear park assist, slightly smaller interior

Azera - No OEM NAV, not as fuel efficient

Acura RL - the SH-AWD is too heavy and inefficient

CTS - RWD and the rear diff is prone to failure

Audi A6 - iffy reliability

VW Passat - - iffy reliability

530i - RWD

Maxima - probably suits me best except for the large turning radius and "sportier" (all relative) ride. And, the '07 with CVT has worse real-world gas mileage than the old 5-spd. auto.

Camry - crummy NAV and...well...you know the OTHER issue

I've been AGONIZING (and bugging my car cronies) about this since the new ES came out. I'm just not willing to take the chance that I might get hosed with a "flaring" ES.

Sorry, ONSKNHT if I seem to have hijacked your thread.

Last edited by BobBass; 04-20-07 at 04:11 PM. Reason: GrammaTical error
Old 04-20-07, 01:36 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by onsknht
Again, just sharing information here for those that are interested.

The Camry being a sibling of the ES350 also shares the same transaxle issues. There is a recent poll showing nearly a 50/50 split between trouble and no trouble...

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t188110.html
It is without question a HUGE problem and I have noticed little attention is paid anymore to the other two chronic issues which also continue, wind noise and diesel engine noise. The transmission gets most of the foucs but dealing with any of the three is unpleasant.
Old 04-20-07, 01:39 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

All good suggestions. But (and these are only MY opinions and "requirements")...

G35 - RWD

Acura TL - larger turning radius, no OEM rear park assist, slightly smaller interior

530i - RWD

Maxima - probably suits me best except for the large turning radius and "sportier" (all relative) ride. And, the '07 with CVT has worse real-world gas mileage than the old 5-spd. auto.

I've been AGONIZING (and bugging my car cronies) about this since the new ES came out. I'm just not willing to take the chance that I might get hosed with an "flaring" ES.

You've really done your homework! Good points on all of the cars you considered. As an ES owner of 11+ months, I agree with all of them. Better go with the ES - It meets all of your needs.
Old 04-20-07, 01:43 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Not at all, I appreciate this kinda dialogue, it opens discussions and solves problems...

Of which I have a suggestion for you.

Go to Lexus when you have time to "shop" again... Target the ES and work with a salesguy, keep in mind you hold all of the cards, they have nothing on you, do nothing you're not comfortable with. Basically, hammer-out a deal that satisfies you.

Once they're talking "your language," hit them hard.

Ask them for a 100% satisfaction guarantee (basically a buyback clause) that there will be no transmission related problems within the first 90 days/5000 miles of ownership... It would be best to bring this up just as the salesguy is trying to close the deal with something like, "What's it going to take for you drive away in this car?"

You'll have them by the shorthairs... Keep in mind this may become just a haggling lesson because chances are they will not accommodate this request.

It never hurts to ask.

If they meet your request... We now as community members have a new tool for dealing with the transaxle issue and you'll have the car that suits you best, less any worries... It flairs once, you get your money back and you're back at square one.
Old 04-20-07, 01:51 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

How big?

ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!
Bob,

Many potential purchasers have known that they might get a ES350 with a slipping transmission and have purchased a ES350 anyway with the hopes of being one of the "lucky" ones. Some have been pleased with a good car and some have been really upset with a slipping transmission...especially after knowing the potential problem ahead of time.

You are a smart guy! Why ask for trouble and risk having to put yourself in a situation where you need to fight for a buyback! There are pros and cons for every car. However, a slipping transmission that is considered a "normal" characteristic is a deal killer for me at any price.

Good luck!
Old 04-20-07, 03:56 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

G35 - RWD

530i - RWD

I've been AGONIZING (and bugging my car cronies) about this since the new ES came out. I'm just not willing to take the chance that I might get hosed with an "flaring" ES.

Audi A6 - I love that car, and I haven't even driven it yet. I did a thorough once over of the interiors of all the cars you have listed above at the recent Vancouver Intl Motor Show here. I thought that the Audi A6 was just awesome. It had the best interior in the price range and for the size of vehicle. Sound system was excellent.

Everything else didn't look so good. The Passat was average at best I thought. CTS = that should win a design for worse plastic looking interior ever. G35 = OK, but not an M35 does that make

Maxima CVT - didn't know about the gas mileage getting worse.
Old 04-20-07, 05:32 PM
RobF350
Driver

I really dont know what to make of this to be honest with you.

I go to my dealer and there is not a line of pissed off ES owners with bad transmissions. They sold over 70k of these cars last year- I dont think there is 35,000 of them bought back and sitting in lots with transmissions that can never be fixed.

You are talking the few who come on these boards to try to find others with the same problem, meanwhile there are tens of thousands of satisfied owners out there with flawless transmissions- like myself.

My service guys should be actors, because when I mention the transmission problems to them they seem like they are hearing it for the first time.

The wind noise has to go though, thats one thing that irks me when I want to enjoy a nice quiet ride without the radio on. Im told they are working on a few things for it, but its months away.
Old 04-20-07, 05:42 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I've had mine for 11 months and 9500 miles. I am very happy with it.

I have a loaner ES350 today because mine is in for the 10,000 mile service. I'll never get used to oil lasting over 3000 miles. I have an April 06 build date, as does the loaner I have today. Mine is a UL black/black, this one is a gold with the cashmere interior and I think a PP (it has a rear shade). It rattles less than my car, has the same amount of road noise, has the same peppy engine, and the stereo isn't half bad for a stock system.

It has one other feature. It has the transmission flare! It flared between 3rd and 4th, about 800 RPM. It scared me too, like the feeling when you see those red lights in your rear view mirror. Thank goodness it only did it once; on the first shift from 3rd to 4th. I can now understand why you guys don't want to keep this car when it does this.

Mine does not do this. Please understand that this issue is not ubiquitous throughout the model year. Others out here do not have this issue either. That being said, I do have other issues like Mrs. Lexus ideas of how to be safe while driving, but I still like the car. But like a silk purse and a sows ear, you cannot have an LS460 for the price of an ES350. I like my ES350 and I am having a great Lexus experience.
Old 04-20-07, 07:12 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RobF350
I really dont know what to make of this to be honest with you.

I go to my dealer and there is not a line of pissed off ES owners with bad transmissions. They sold over 70k of these cars last year- I dont think there is 35,000 of them bought back and sitting in lots with transmissions that can never be fixed.

You are talking the few who come on these boards to try to find others with the same problem, meanwhile there are tens of thousands of satisfied owners out there with flawless transmissions- like myself.

The wind noise has to go though, thats one thing that irks me when I want to enjoy a nice quiet ride without the radio on. Im told they are working on a few things for it, but its months away.
If you are not happy with the wind noise I assure you that you would be more annoyed with the transaxle slip. Just as PSP described, it is not a pleasant experience.
I agree that the problem is not ubiquitous but I believe many people do not notice or do not care about the slip. I also think think a lot of people, myself included, have given up trying to find a solution and accepted a defecient car. Am I happy with the car? Sort of because it has a lot of great attributes, but I feel I have had to compromise and adjust my attitude about the car and Lexus. To me, that is the saddest and most disappointing part of my whole experience. I feel I have been cheated and forced to comprimise. On a Lexus! On the most expensive car I have ever bought! I don't even feel like I am driving a new car, but instead some used car that someone suckered me into buying.
If you own this car and have issues with it, I think each of us will have to decide the best course of action for our own circumstances. However, if anyone asks me about a purchase of this car, I would recommend against it.
The continued brisk sales only endorse their reprehesible response to this problem.

Pete

Quick Reply: How BIG is the Problem???